Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Morning and Evening Exercises by William Jay (1769-1853)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wighardus

Wighardus

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho, USA

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

William Jay (May 6, 1769 – December 27, 1853) was an English Congregationalist minister who preached for a little over six decades at Argyle Chapel in Bath, Somerset, England.

He wrote an excellent daily devotional entitled "Morning and Evening Exercises". I believe it to be worth the time and effort to be made into a devotional module for e-Sword.

Thank you.

Edited by Wighardus, 18 June 2017 - 10:45 PM.

Wyatt M. A.

1647 Westminster Standards

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

William Jay (May 6, 1769 – December 27, 1853) was an English Congregationalist minister who preached for a little over six decades at Argyle Chapel in Bath, Somerset, England.

He wrote an excellent daily devotional entitled "Morning and Evening Exercises". I believe it to be worth the time and effort to be made into a devotional module for e-Sword.

Thank you.

Unfortunately that is copyrighted item published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing thus a module cannot be made with out the permission of the publisher/copyright holder

#3 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Unfortunately that is copyrighted item published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing thus a module cannot be made with out the permission of the publisher/copyright holder

There are a multitude of copies of William Jays 4 devotional works available in PDF format on the Princeton Library pages, along with copies on Google Books and in the Internet Archive.  All of these texts are over 150 years old and are NOT under copyright.  Some texts were printed for Great Britain and others for the United States.

I have made modules out of the second two devotions of William Jay and they are posted on this website.

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

There are a multitude of copies of William Jays 4 devotional works available in PDF format on the Princeton Library pages, along with copies on Google Books and in the Internet Archive.  All of these texts are over 150 years old and are NOT under copyright.  Some texts were printed for Great Britain and others for the United States.

I have made modules out of the second two devotions of William Jay and they are posted on this website.

You might want to check out this item:

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/149276650X

#5 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

Right.  This is a reworded volume of Pastor Jays original work.  They've done the same thing with several other devotions like "Springs In The Desert" etc., but the originals are not copyrighted because of the date of their original text and copyright.  The title can undergo another copyright, as long as there are significant changes in the text, but the older text cannot be copyrighted.  For all intents and purposes, this is an entirely new work.  The older volumes can still be made into modules. 

The law is a double edged sword.  In some cases it helps people and in some cases it hinders people.  Some books are on the BibleSupport pages because of expired copyrights - and some are not in the BibleSupport database because of the same issue, copyright law.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Now, on the title of this Devotional.

I have to reckon that this is one of the best, or worst titles I've seen, depending on one's perspective. So on that note note, here is a way one can use the, ummm, "Morning and Evening Exercises.

In the Morning:

1. Open and close eyelids
  2. Yawn, and yawn some more
  3. Think about getting out of bed (this is brain or mind bending exercise)
  4. Go back to sleep
  5. Getting late, better get out of bed.

In the Evening after a hard day's yacka (work)

1. Sit down in favorite seat/couch or armchair
  2. Put feet up, then put feet back down. Rpt 3 or 4 times
  3. Fall asleep

From my perspective, that has to be the best kind of evening exercise.

Gotta seriously love this.

ROFL.gif

Feel free to add any exercise or toss any exercise out, and just have some fun with it.

Way to go.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

replacing "Thou and Thee" with "you" is not copyright either.  When the copyright office wants revision you have to overhaul the work.  If this were true anyone can change a word or something else and copyright.  I have seen the NIV Bishop Lighfoot comm on epistles, which the revisers did not alter the commentary but the version in the Bible section.  ooooo! big revision!!!  I hope they did not have a nervous breakdown doing this difficult and challenging mental task.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users