Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Android, why not?

8 replies to this topic

#1 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:29 AM

POPULAR

Many of the development tools for Windows result in somewhat slow and clunky application regardless of the skills of the developer. I've seen this not only in my previous work but when developers have ported their Android apps to Windows.

However, Android apps, even if written by the inexperienced, tend not to have the issue described above. So, what architectural issues are there that would pose a problem for eSword to be ported to Android?

I've tried using MySword and although the adage is true that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I don't find it to be as practical, or as intuitive as the layout of eSword.

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

The following thread should answer most of your questions:

http://www.biblesupp...version-or-not/

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

Many of the development tools for Windows result in somewhat slow and clunky application regardless of the skills of the developer. I've seen this not only in my previous work but when developers have ported their Android apps to Windows.

However, Android apps, even if written by the inexperienced, tend not to have the issue described above. So, what architectural issues are there that would pose a problem for eSword to be ported to Android?

I've tried using MySword and although the adage is true that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I don't find it to be as practical, or as intuitive as the layout of eSword.

The owner/developer of E-Sword is named Rick Meyers and it would be up to him to create an android version of E-sword. However the issue with creating an Android version is not as simple as creating a version of the program as there are literally hundreds of modules available for E-Sword which would also have to replicated for use with an Android version. This does not mean just the modules available on this site but those for which Rick Meyers has established license agreements, these are the premium or pay modules that are downloadable through E-Sword itself. 

As for Mysword it is not meant to be seen as an Android version of E-Sword as the two are not connected in any way

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

The owner/developer of E-Sword is named Rick Meyers and it would be up to him to create an android version of E-sword. However the issue with creating an Android version is not as simple as creating a version of the program as there are literally hundreds of modules available for E-Sword which would also have to replicated for use with an Android version. This does not mean just the modules available on this site but those for which Rick Meyers has established license agreements, these are the premium or pay modules that are downloadable through E-Sword itself. 

As for Mysword it is not meant to be seen as an Android version of E-Sword as the two are not connected in any way

This is one topic that wont go away, and it seems to be that there are either some or many who would like to see and Android version of e-Sword.

To actually create a version of e-Sword today is pretty straight forward and relatively simple to do. Also, when it comes to the resources, it wouldn't be difficult to have them working on both iOS/macOS and Android platforms.

To create a version for both Android and iOS  can be done in one hit using Xamarin in Visual Studio 2015 or 2017. Write the code once then spit it out (compile it) for both Android and iOS. And here is the beauty of it - the GUI would pretty much the same on an iOS device as on an Android device. So that really cuts out half the work of interface design.

Below is an older version of Visual Studio (2015 I think) showing the New Project dialog (Window).

Visual Studio 2015 - New Project.jpg

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 kaz

kaz

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

APsit190

I love your answer esp when you mentioned "To actually create a version of e-Sword today is pretty straight forward and relatively simple to do." But have no idea what "Write the code once then spit it out (compile it) for both Android and iOS" means

As a church elder all I want is to be able to use the best Bible tool on the planet.. but unable to do so:(

kaz

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

" But have no idea what "Write the code once then spit it out (compile it) for both Android and iOS" means

Compiling (or spitting out) a program is the process that takes place to create the executable for the program to be able to run. For a program to be able to run in Windows, the Compiler (which is built in Programming software, such as Visual Studio), is the tool which creates the executable for that program.

OK, when it comes to creating a program for iOS and Android devices, Visual Studio uses Xamerin, which has the compilers for both iOS and Android devices, and they create the specific executable of the Program for that particular platform (device).

Below is a video that which goes in to some details of how this is done. Trust it will prove helpful to you.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 kaz

kaz

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:15 AM

#maybe this is  not such a simple quesiton. If it is so straight forward wjhy does Rick not do it? I suspect that coming from the US the Apple market is very much seen as the american  product so is more supported. 

#8 astudyplace03

astudyplace03

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationShadow of the Almighty

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:51 AM

I am still hoping for the Android version of e-Sword.

Edited by astudyplace03, 07 June 2018 - 03:53 AM.

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:00 PM

#maybe this is  not such a simple quesiton. If it is so straight forward wjhy does Rick not do it? I suspect that coming from the US the Apple market is very much seen as the american  product so is more supported. 

On that note, so is Android/Google an American thingy, and like Apple it has a very large international base. So, I wouldn't argue that is the basis for Rick Meyers decision.

That said, about Rick's actual reason, the best thing you can do is to simply ask him.

I've corresponded with Rick a few times, and as such have a pretty good rapport with him. He will answer questions you give him, and despite one might not like his answers, nevertheless they work for him, and as such, I respect the way he thinks and the decisions he makes.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users