Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Where to start to create a dictionary module on a Mac? I have a working html file.

6 replies to this topic

#1 1611mac

1611mac

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

POPULAR

I'm a Mac user (with Windows on a VM) and I need to create a dictionary module.  I have created modules for two other study apps and I also have a working html file. It's a basic dictionary with scripture references and "see" references to entries.  

Can someone give me a "quick start" in sentence or two. (Where to even get a start?) I prefer doing this on Mac but could use my Windows VM if needed.  Is there a Mac tool similar to ToolTipTool? Is there an easy convert from HTML to e-Sword?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

I'm a Mac user (with Windows on a VM) and I need to create a dictionary module.  I have created modules for two other study apps and I also have a working html file. It's a basic dictionary with scripture references and "see" references to entries.  

Can someone give me a "quick start" in sentence or two. (Where to even get a start?) I prefer doing this on Mac but could use my Windows VM if needed.  Is there a Mac tool similar to ToolTipTool? Is there an easy convert from HTML to e-Sword?

OK, To create a dictionary resource for Macs is exactly the same for iOS devices. Initially create the resource using ToolTip Tool NT (T4), and then in the ModulesHD Menu, click on the Save DCTI Module. You probably will have to use your Windows VM, as T4 is a Windows program. And actually if you did, it would make life a whole heap sweeter for you.

Trust this is helpful to you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 15 May 2017 - 10:58 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 1611mac

1611mac

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

Thanks very much. I much appreciate it the quick start.  I look forward to learning more as I delve into the docs and actual work.  As for the T4 "it would make life a whole heap sweeter for you" comment... could you expound on that a bit?  I'm guessing T4 is on Windows is is the simplest and best method of module creation?

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

As for the T4 "it would make life a whole heap sweeter for you" comment... could you expound on that a bit?

Its a sort of Kiwi/Aussie expression of making things a lot simpler and/or easier - sort of more straight forward without having to go through a lot of hassles to get things done.

So by you using your Windows VM machine with T4 installed onto it, is what will cut out you having to use other means to get things done. And its that which will "make life a whole heap sweeter for you." :D

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 1611mac

1611mac

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

I'm trying to understand things around here so please be gentile with me....   I do understand this site/board is NOT owned/operated by the e-Sword developer.   But having said that.... though e-Sword is available for Mac OSX it appears that this forum and everything here is for Windows version only?  I searched the forum for "Mac" and "OSX" and came up with virtually nothing.   Casual reading thru the e-Sword docs and this site seem to indicate that if I want any of the modules located here they need be converted by myself for OSX?  I guess I'm not understanding why there is not a "OSX" section for discussion and downloads.   

Seems to me that somebody surely has converted a lot of this for Mac version.  Are those downloads not available anywhere?  What do people without Windows/T4 (no ability for easy conversion) do for Mac stuff?  

Edited by 1611mac, 17 May 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#6 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

I'm trying to understand things around here so please be gentile with me....   I do understand this site/board is NOT owned/operated by the e-Sword developer.   But having said that.... though e-Sword is available for Mac OSX it appears that this forum and everything here is for Windows version only?  I searched the forum for "Mac" and "OSX" and came up with virtually nothing.   Casual reading thru the e-Sword docs and this site seem to indicate that if I want any of the modules located here they need be converted by myself for OSX?  I guess I'm not understanding why there is not a "OSX" section for discussion and downloads.   

Seems to me that somebody surely has converted a lot of this for Mac version.  Are those downloads not available anywhere?  What do people without Windows/T4 (no ability for easy conversion) do for Mac stuff?  

1) It is not necessary have Windows / T4 to create e-Sword modules.  I use Mac too.  I create a lot of modules, but never user T4 or Windows for that.  You mentioned you have html files as your sources for module creation.  In this case conversion could be quite straightforward.  You may need only a simple text editor and SQLite editor (or Mac built-in unix terminal.

2) Some files in this site are for both Mac and PC, e.g.

Greek bible: http://www.biblesupp...ransilteration/

Hebrew bible: http://www.biblesupp...os-ipad-iphone/

Edited by Eliran Wong, 17 May 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#7 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

give brief notes on converting html files:

Step 1: combining all html files

- put all html files in one folder

- open terminal, and type "cd " and drag your folder to the terminal, you will get "cd [actual folderpath]", press enter

- type "cat *.html > myDictionary.csv"

result: you will get all your html content in a single file, "myDictionary.csv"

remarks: do not close the terminal yet.

Step 2: format the csv file

- use text editor (my preference: text wrangler)

- replace all TAB characters if any, search "\t", replace option: " "

- search (regular expression) for catchwords of your dictionary, e.g. search: "<h1>(.*?)</h1>" replace option: "\1\t&"

- make each entry a single line, e.g. search "\r([^\r\t]*?$)" replace option: "\1"

Step 3: import into sqlite file (the quickest way is to get a current dictionary from e-Sword folder or download one from this site, *.dcti):

- rename the file, like myDictionary.dcti

- put this file in the same place as myDictionary.csv

- type in terminal "sqlite3 myDictionary.dcti"

- "DELETE FROM Dictionary;"

- "VACUUM;"

- ".separator "\t""

- ".import myDictionary.csv Dictionary"

For accurate syntax of unix command, you may refer: https://www.sqlite.org/cli.html or simply use interface like http://sqlitebrowser.org

Done.

Remarks: you may only need 5-15 min to finish a dictionary module, if your html files are well-structured.

Edited by Eliran Wong, 17 May 2017 - 09:38 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users