Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

search hebrew

12 replies to this topic

#1 inna

inna

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

i added bible in hebrew for

i need to searh hebrew  words in bible text

but  e-sword has such feature or it has not?

would it be possible to do or not?

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

What is the name of the e-Sword version that you use? e-Sword 10, e-Sword 11, e-Sword for Apple PC, e-Sword HD or e-Sword LT?

You can search Hebrew on the same way as by English text.

By select the words and right click with the mouse or touch pad.

Or copy and paste to the Bible and search menu above.

Some old BBLX modules here are not searchable.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

i added bible in hebrew for

i need to searh hebrew  words in bible text
but  e-sword has such feature or it has not?

would it be possible to do or not?

I am not sure if yiu are using my e-Sword modules or not. In e-Sword you may search for Strong's numbers.

you may lookup occurrences of all Hebrew words or even filtering morphology at eliranwong.com

#4 Gary Timm

Gary Timm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

As Katoog mentioned, copying and pasting from a Hebrew Bible is your best bet. And you will probably have to use the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl V) for pasting into the search box, rather than right clicking with the mouse.

However, if you are wanting to type Hebrew characters into the search box, and need e-Sword to have Hebrew as the native language, I don't believe this is available in any version... at least as far as I know.

Blessings...

#5 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

... simple copying and pasting Hebrew words for searching may not work.  definitely, doesn't work for me for two reasons.

- e-Sword doesn't handle Hebrew vowels and cantillation marks well

- even in non-voweled text, e-Sword doesn't support of search Hebrew lemma, only search Hebrew words in manuscript forms is not very helpful in serious study.

I hope Rick will add further support for Hebrew study in e-Sword program.

#6 Gary Timm

Gary Timm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

... simple copying and pasting Hebrew words for searching may not work.  definitely, doesn't work for me for two reasons.

- e-Sword doesn't handle Hebrew vowels and cantillation marks well

- even in non-voweled text, e-Sword doesn't support of search Hebrew lemma, only search Hebrew words in manuscript forms is not very helpful in serious study.

The best solution may be to use a Hebrew Bible as the HOT+ that does not contain cantillation marks and non-voweled text. I know I'm a minority on this, but I prefer it that way. Although modern translations have their redeeming qualities, the Bible, as originally written, seems to have fewer restraints, especially when searching out key words and unique text.

May God bless...

#7 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

The best solution may be to use a Hebrew Bible as the HOT+ that does not contain cantillation marks and non-voweled text. I know I'm a minority on this, but I prefer it that way. Although modern translations have their redeeming qualities, the Bible, as originally written, seems to have fewer restraints, especially when searching out key words and unique text.

May God bless...

non-voweled text only solve one of the problems.  surely, not working for serious student of Hebrew studies.  e.g. copying and searching English word "made" won't give result of "make".  The issue is even more complicated in Hebrew text. 

thanks for your sharing, anyway.

Edited by Eliran Wong, 24 April 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#8 Gary Timm

Gary Timm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

non-voweled text only solve one of the problems.  surely, not working for serious student of Hebrew studies.  e.g. copying and searching English word "made" won't give result of "make".  The issue is even more complicated in Hebrew text. 

thanks for your sharing, anyway.

I’ll completely agree. Unlike English, Biblical Hebrew verbs have only two tenses, perfect and imperfect, and there can never be any comparison or accurate translation between the Hebrew and English equivalents. However, as Hebrew verbs relate to either a completed action, or a uncompleted action, these words can still be searched out in their root form.

Blessings...

#9 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:54 AM

I’ll completely agree. Unlike English, Biblical Hebrew verbs have only two tenses, perfect and imperfect, and there can never be any comparison or accurate translation between the Hebrew and English equivalents. However, as Hebrew verbs relate to either a completed action, or a uncompleted action, these words can still be searched out in their root form.

Blessings...

Gary, I am glad that you found HOT+ sufficient.

#10 RevD

RevD

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

When i search the HOT for Hebrew words it does not bring back any results. Only the English book name and numbers will return in a search. How do I overcome this, Gary? Its like my hebrew font is not registering in esword at all. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users