Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

TDOT & TDNT

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Jarem08

Jarem08

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

Good morning,

I wanted to find out also about the TDNT. I have been using this for a while now and found that in the E-Sword it was connected to the Thayer's dictionary. I moved to a new position, started using my E-Sword again and now Thayer's does not reference the TDNT. Did they change anything in an update?

Thanks

#12 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

TDNT=Theological Dictionary of the New Testament by Kittel and others

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#13 Jarem08

Jarem08

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

TDNT=Theological Dictionary of the New Testament by Kittel and others

Thank you. I knew that the TDNT was the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, but in my Thayer E-Sword dictionary, there used to be a section at the end of information that would actually link the word to the TDNT word in this format

For example: Related TDNT Word: 6:57, 28

That no longer appears. Did Thayer's get updated and remove that or am I using the wrong book now? Thanks for your help.

#14 Jarem08

Jarem08

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

Never Mind. I do appreciate your help Katoog. It seems I was using an older version of Thayer's. I really needed this one:

http://www.biblesupp...h-kjv-analysis/

It not only combined my KJVC but it also gave me the reference that I needed. Thanks again.

#15 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

Thank you. I knew that the TDNT was the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, but in my Thayer E-Sword dictionary, there used to be a section at the end of information that would actually link the word to the TDNT word in this format

For example: Related TDNT Word: 6:57, 28

That no longer appears. Did Thayer's get updated and remove that or am I using the wrong book now? Thanks for your help.

I Checked my Thayer's on  both systems. If you have the old version [eg 2015 or 2016] prior to changing to the HTML style for Esword 11 then your OK but the new HTML  .LEXX has it removed. 

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#16 Jarem08

Jarem08

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

I Checked my Thayer's on  both systems. If you have the old version [eg 2015 or 2016] prior to changing to the HTML style for Esword 11 then your OK but the new HTML  .LEXX has it removed. 

I think that may be what I had. I went through my system (and to be honest, I am very illiterate when it comes to HTML or any computer stuff dealing with programming) and deleted the old .lexx. I then reinstalled the .exe and it seems to have included everything (including adding the KJV concordance)!

I have not seen this on anything else yet. Do you know of any other work that this change has occured? Thanks.

#17 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

Have not run across anything as of yet. I have the TDNT on my system so do not use the book/page ref #'s.

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#18 bornfreedom

bornfreedom

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:17 PM

I know this is kind of late but there is an excellent Greek and Hebrew study program out there that is not very well known. Its called bibleworks and in my opinion nothing except dedicating your life to studying the languages is better than this program. 

#19 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

I know this is kind of late but there is an excellent Greek and Hebrew study program out there that is not very well known. Its called bibleworks and in my opinion nothing except dedicating your life to studying the languages is better than this program. 

Allow me to say this. It is not the program itself (irrespective of what it is) that makes great to use for Bible study (although it helps), but rather the resources available for it. Bibleworks, like its counterparts, i.e., Logos and others, are expensive. As where with e-Sword, the overwhelming amount of resources available for it, are free.

But that's not all. When it comes to the premium resources one pays for e-Sword, the prices are extremely reasonable and are also extremely less than what one would pay for Bibleworks, Logos, and others. The difference in prices can range from 70% to 90%. And that is not an exaggeration. Best example of this is the NICNT and the NICOT, and note the comparison with e-Sword vs Logos.

But that is not all either. When looking at studying original Biblical languages, it is dependent on the type of and/or the amount of information in the Lexington/Dictionary that is in it which makes or breaks the resources. And when it actually comes to the Lexington resources available for e-Sword, there are some excellent ones available. One comes to mind which I use quite regularly is the Complete Word Study Dictionary (by AMG Publishing) for e-Sword.

With that said, It's not just the Lexingtons or Dictionaries available that helps in the exegesis of Scripture, but also at the Commentaries, of which e-Sword an excellent variety, which helps in the exegetical interpretation of Scripture. This means that when using resources in combination with each other, and comparing the different translations of Scripture with one another, then you have a Bible study tool which is very powerful, of which e-Sword passes with flying colors, thank you very much.

This does not undermine or disparages Bibleworks or any other Bible program, but rather puts into perspective as to the reason why e-Sword actually ranks among the best. Even with that said, there is much more as to the reason why e-Sword seems to outshine most other Bible programs, of which I have covered in a variety of posts/responses and Blogs, of which you can read at your leisure.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#20 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

Lexicon not Lexington.  Y'all been living in the South?    Each software has strengths and weakness.  It all depends on your capabilities in Greek and Hebrew as well as those copyrighted resources you want.  Your wallet matters also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users