Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

How can I know which file(s) to download?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DWray

DWray

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

When certain modules involve numerous files, is this to give me options for configuration or must I download all files? If I don't need every file, how will I know which one(s) I need? Apologies if this seems a frightfully silly question.
Thanks,
DWray

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

The obvious answer your question of whether or not to download all files, is simply no.

As to what to download, that is entirely up to you because its really dependent on what area of study you wish to undertake. With that said, there are some "basics" which everyone should have, and they are:

• Some Bible Translations outside of one's own bias
  • At least three or four Hebrew and Greek Lexingtons (dictionaries)
  • Some exegetical commentaries on Greek and Hebrew
  • Some general theological (either topx or refx file format) resources.

I think this is sufficient to give you a good scope of what you can do, which I think, will be helpful to you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 DWray

DWray

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:43 AM

Thanks, but I actually meant with individual modules, where there are multiple folders. For example when there is an exe file and a zip file. When I download both, the exe file opens and installs, the zip files shows already loaded.

To illustrate, with 

Ver.1.4; Parsed BHS (PC & Apple); Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (Enhanced; Interlinear; Parsing; Strong's; BHS concordance; TWOT no.; Gesenius Lexicon; BDB; BHS & KJV versifications, etc.); SHEBANQ; ETCBC 4b; Hebrew bible, BHSE 1.4

there are many files listed when I begin the download. Must I have them all for this particular module to run, or may I be selective? And how do I know which ones among them to choose?

Thanks,

DW

Edited by DWray, 14 January 2017 - 09:49 PM.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

Thanks, but I actually meant with individual modules, where there are multiple folders. For example when there is an exe file and a zip file. When I download both, the exe file opens and installs, the zip files shows already loaded.

To illustrate, with 

Ver.1.4; Parsed BHS (PC & Apple); Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (Enhanced; Interlinear; Parsing; Strong's; BHS concordance; TWOT no.; Gesenius Lexicon; BDB; BHS & KJV versifications, etc.); SHEBANQ; ETCBC 4b; Hebrew bible, BHSE 1.4

there are many files listed when I begin the download. Must I have them all for this particular module to run, or may I be selective? And how do I know which ones among them to choose?

Thanks,

DW

OK, I got you now.

The answer is still No, as you don't have to at all, unless you want to.

If you have a list of file types, e.g., exe, zip, or resource extension, i.e., bblx, cmtx and etc., then all you need to do is just download one of them.

Looking at your illustration, I think the answer still remains, No, you don't have to. And best simply put, its really entirely up to you.

Just a bit of a side note. I had a look at the Download page, and I have to say, it really is a mess, and needs to be totally sorted.The Commentary resources should be placed on their own in the Commentaries Section, and not bundled with the Bible section. Extras, such as fonts, should be bundled in with the resource files in the installer and/or zip file. This would cut out a lot of the confusion.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 15 January 2017 - 01:29 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

To illustrate, with 

Thanks,

DW

Hi, what to download is all based on your needs.  You don't have to install all.  Please read description page on use of different files and decide what to download to suit your needs.  Eliran

#6 Gary Timm

Gary Timm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

When certain modules involve numerous files, is this to give me options for configuration or must I download all files? If I don't need every file, how will I know which one(s) I need? Apologies if this seems a frightfully silly question.
Thanks,
DWray

Sometimes it's difficult to determine which files to download unless you're familiar with the abbreviations on file names. If you're not sure, try them out. You always have the option of uninstalling the modules you don't like, or have no use for.

Blessings...

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

One of the principles I've been taught as an IT student, is a thing called, "Best Practices." This principle chiefly was around areas of software design, engineering, coding, and etc., of what to put in and what to leave out. One of the things that regularly came up is the necessity of documentation, and keeping things under the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle, of which is a another way of saying "don't make it complicated."

In my judgement, I think this principle of Best Practices also applies to the distribution/downloading of resources especially when it involves multiple files around a particular resources for a module. This can involve Bible files, commentaries and dictionary resources which are important to that particular module; something of which I call a Study Set, Bible Set (which may include differing editions of one translation, etc). And as an example, I think that Eliran Wong's work with the Ver.1.4; Parsed BHS (PC & Apple); Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (Enhanced; Interlinear; Parsing; Strong's; BHS concordance; TWOT no.; Gesenius Lexicon; BDB; BHS & KJV versifications, etc.); SHEBANQ; ETCBC 4b; Hebrew bible, BHSE 1.4 would fit into the description of a Study Set. Resources in Patchwork Kids Bible Study is another example of a Study Set.

So, when it comes to doing study sets such as these mentioned, the best practice is to have the resource files bundled together in one installer file. If files are to be separately downloaded, then place the particular resource files in the category they belong to:

• Bible files in the Bible Category
    • If Hebrew, in the Hebrew sub category
    • If Greek, in the Greek sub category
    • If from some other foreign language, then in that particular sub category
  • Commentary files in the Commentary Category

And etc.

Special extras, such as required fonts, and documentation such as Read Me files, must be included in the installer with that particular resource. The user should not have to second guess what is required.

Now, comes the main download page. Information about the resource really should be included for the prospective user. The best example of giving information about resources are Josh Bond's download pages of the resources he put up. Leaving it blank and having nothing there for the user, in my judgement, is just nothing more than laziness and a disservice to the user. Just because its free, does not mean one has be be slack in doing a good job in the presentation of what one is giving/offering.

I expect that not everyone may agree with me, however by doing the best, and giving the best really shows just how good God is, and that what He gives is always the best.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

APSit190 said, "Just a bit of a side note. I had a look at the Download page, and I have to say, it really is a mess, and needs to be totally sorted.The Commentary resources should be placed on their own in the Commentaries Section, and not bundled with the Bible section. Extras, such as fonts, should be bundled in with the resource files in the installer and/or zip file. This would cut out a lot of the confusion."

I agree. Also, are from four to maybe 6 or more clicks (I haven't counted) really necessary to download a free resource? I can understand agreeing to something, but surely this could be simplified and save unnecessary wear and tear on my computer rodent. :-)

That being said, I dearly love and appreciate this website. It's one of my 'home page' tabs and is open anytime I'm online. Muchas gracias!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users