Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

My E-Sword is crashing shortly after opening the program.

10 replies to this topic

#1 SolidHollow

SolidHollow

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hi, I have used E-sword for a long time without any issues. For some reason the program is closing as soon as I open it now. I have not made any recent changes to my computer so I don't understand why it's deciding to do this now. I've run malware/virus scans, restarted my pc and reinstalled the program but to no avail. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

Try:

Installing e-Sword as the Administrator. Right click on the install file and click on "Run as Administrator".

Make sure that your current user has full permission to use e-Sword. Right click on the main e-Sword folder, click on properties, click on security, click on edit, highlight your current user, put check marks in every block, apply, and save.

If neither of the above works, give us a lot more information (i.e. your version of Windows, the version of e-Sword you are trying to install, and obviously any error messages. The last below shouldn't be the problem, but you can try it if nothing else works:

Don't do this one unless the above didn't work. Click help on the top line of the main e-Sword menu - click reset e-Sword settings.

LAST: Uninstall e-Sword completely. Clean your hard-drive with something like CCleaner - files and registry. CCleaner is free and highly rated. I use it often and know it is safe. Now, go back to the top of this post and do a clean install of e-Sword using the instructions I gave you. I can't think of anything else. I hope this fixes your problems.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:50 AM

First try to repair any corrupt files by running the uninstall for e-Sword and choose the 'Repair' option. This  fixes missing or corrupt files, shortcuts, and registry entries.

#4 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:28 AM

I agree with both respondents above but would add to journey's reply. FIRST, back up any paid or premium modules to external media! Any time that weird, senseless things such as this start happening in or with a program, do not use only Windows' uninstall feature. Rather, download the free Revo Uninstaller program and run it to remove all traces of the program, even registry entries. Next, I personally do a restart of the PC before reinstalling the offending program. I don't know that this step is necessary, but I figure, "What the heck, it can't hurt!" :)  HTH!

†     (Edited to remove a double space and correct a punctuation error.)

Edited by EarlMelton, 30 December 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#5 jrx509

jrx509

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 03:47 PM

Any support when Esword just freezes on start up?  Installed up to 12.1-13.

13 was working until i started removed some modules I didn't want. 

Edited by jrx509, 02 January 2024 - 03:51 PM.

#6 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 04:17 PM

I think you have cracked the case there. 

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 02 January 2024 - 06:26 PM

I think you have cracked the case there.

Yep, that's what happens then you remove default resources that Uncle Rick deemed necessary for e-Sword to run, such as the KJV etc.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 09:05 PM

Yep, that's what happens then you remove default resources that Uncle Rick deemed necessary for e-Sword to run, such as the KJV etc.

Site: https://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

Removal of any modules from the starter pack would not be advised.

You need this to get started. This basic installation includes the King James Bible and the King James with Strong's numbers study Bible, the Strong's Lexicon, Smith's Bible dictionary, Meyer's devotional commentary, and the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge cross references.

#9 jrx509

jrx509

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 10:55 PM

I only problem is that I have already  uninstalled and reinstalled  an still freezing 

#10 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 11:39 AM

I only problem is that I have already  uninstalled and reinstalled  an still freezing 

If you are using version 13 of e-Sword for Windows, you need to have Windows Media Player installed and activated in order for the program to work correctly. Windows Media Player is required for the audio bible feature to work correctly 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users