Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

How Many Resources?

12 replies to this topic

#11 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:47 AM

That's the one I remembered.  Thank you.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#12 ray.mercer

ray.mercer

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:39 AM

At the risk of getting even further off-topic, I feel the need to reply to this post.

eSword is written in the now abandoned language called Visual basic 6. Microsoft deprecated it in 2008. Many companies still have existing code in vb6 but every year there is less and less and less. Compared to modern languages vb6 is obsolete. 

I believe you are right that parts of eSword for WIndows are written in VB6. Microsoft just announced support for VB6 in the NEXT version of Windows so it is not "obsolete." It is true that they abondoned COM-based VB and, unfortunately, moved to VB.NET. So it is dying or dead - but obviously not obsolete. Rick just rewrote this software, didn't he. Don't you love eSword? I do!

VB6 was never known for speed. It's a slow language designed to help beginners learn to program. That is why Microsoft started VB. The language is like using training wheels. You gain ease of use but lack severely in coding options and optimization. Combine that with poor memory management techniques +  best practices coding violations =  sluggish software. 

This part is not true at all. For example I personally wrote a video capture application called LiveMail in VB5 which was included by Microsoft on their WIndows NT Multimedia Jumpstart Kit back when Windows NT was released. When VB first came out the alternative programming langauges for WIndows programming were Assembler and C/C++. I also programmed in those but VB3-6 was a much better language for Windows programming IMHO, It is just an oft-repeated urban legend that Classic VB was "slow." Try benchmarking Java or .NET against a native compiled VB app - you will see that it is orders-of-magnitude faster than either of these.

Bill Gates started Microsoft with a little product called MS Basic and VB for Windows wasn't created as training wheels. It was created as a great language/runtime/IDE for WIndows programming. Microsoft made a bad decision to stop making new versions of classic VB after VB6 but amazingly great software like eSword can still be written in it. Sorry about jumping in to correct you but as far as I am concerned that right there says a lot. I love eSword and I love VB6 - even though there will never be a VB7.

Regards,

Ray Mercer

Former Visual Basic MVP 1999-2005
http://www.raymercer...f-visual-basic/

#13 GodIsGreat

GodIsGreat

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

No esword is still written entirely in VB6 in except for added controls but those are written for vb6. Decompile it. Its obvious.

At the risk of getting even further off-topic, I feel the need to reply to this post.

I believe you are right that parts of eSword for WIndows are written in VB6. Microsoft just announced support for VB6 in the NEXT version of Windows so it is not "obsolete." It is true that they abondoned COM-based VB and, unfortunately, moved to VB.NET. So it is dying or dead - but obviously not obsolete. Rick just rewrote this software, didn't he. Don't you love eSword? I do!

It is true Microsoft offers Operating System support for VB6. This means Microsoft isnt going to jerk the rug out from under vb6 leaving existing apps dead in the water.

But... the language VB6 lacks features now commonly found in modern languages. VB6 hasnt been developed since 08. You dont find controls being made for vb6 like you used to. People are moving on. Every year there are less and less vb6 apps in existence as people migrate.

A glance at google shows petitions people begging Microsoft to open source vb6 so it can be updated for equality with other languages. Its lacking at this point. Sorry if I stepped on your toes on vb6. It was great in its day. My point is eSword dev options are limited until its migrated to a modern language. I dont see esword being faster until it leaves vb6. If vb6 isnt the issue, why does other bible software let you add hundreds of resources and not bog down at all? Not talking about logos. Talking about bible software very similar to esword that everyone has heard of.

Edited by GodIsGreat, 09 September 2016 - 11:04 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users