Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Mac User In Search of Help with Tool Tips

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SetApartChosenOne

SetApartChosenOne

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:52 AM

Grace and peace!

I primarily use e-Sword X on my Mac, but I do have e-Sword for Windows installed via CrossOver. In addition, I have many converted modules that I imported, but those modules with tootips only show the tool tipped data with an underline, but the tooltips (links) themselves do not work in e-Sword X on Mac.

In e-Sword X on Mac, all tooltips (links) work by double clicking on the the tool tipped data, as opposed to hovering the mouse pointer over the data in e-Sword for Windows.

Since the new release of e-Sword 11.x.x for Windows, I wonder if there is a way to reconvert the modules to get the tooltips (links) working in e-Sword X on Mac?

I just tried using the latest conversion utility, version 3.0.0, to convert the Strong's Plus Dictionary, but it failed to convert the tooltips (links). In fact, it removed the underline format from all tool tipped data. Whereas, one of the previous versioned conversion utilities left the underline format, but did not keep the tool tip functionality.

If anyone knows how to accomplish this, or if you have any ideas I could test I would really appreciate your input.

God bless you!

Edited by SetApartChosenOne, 03 September 2016 - 04:59 AM.

1 Corinthians 15:10

#2 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:47 AM

can you give some examples what tooltips effect you want to create?

#3 SetApartChosenOne

SetApartChosenOne

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:58 AM

can you give some examples what tooltips effect you want to create?

Grace and peace, Eliran Wong! Thanks for asking.

I just want to be able to use all of the modules in my library that have tooltips. For example, the modules you created have tooltips, so I would want this usage for all of the e-Sword 10.x.x modules I converted to work in e-Sword X on Mac. I'm not sure why neither the latest conversion utility, nor the older conversion utility keep the tooltips intact. But whatever it is you're doing when you provide tooltips in your modules for e-Sword X on Mac might be an added benefit to the code of the conversion utility.

Blessings!

#4 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:53 AM

Grace and peace, Eliran Wong! Thanks for asking.

I just want to be able to use all of the modules in my library that have tooltips. For example, the modules you created have tooltips, so I would want this usage for all of the e-Sword 10.x.x modules I converted to work in e-Sword X on Mac. I'm not sure why neither the latest conversion utility, nor the older conversion utility keep the tooltips intact. But whatever it is you're doing when you provide tooltips in your modules for e-Sword X on Mac might be an added benefit to the code of the conversion utility.

Blessings!

Do you mean bible references or Strong's no.?

Edited by Eliran Wong, 03 September 2016 - 04:54 AM.

#5 SetApartChosenOne

SetApartChosenOne

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:13 AM

Do you mean bible references or Strong's no.?

Both.

Please excuse me. I just edited my first post above. What I mean by tooltip is link. A link to another part of the same module, or a link to a completely different module.

This is how both Bible references and Strong's numbers work, and this is also how grammar code links work, etc.

Honestly, I have not gone through each module in my library to see what kind of information is linked (tool tipped), but if that is necessary, I can do it to provide that information.

For now, I do know of the Bible verse reference, Strong's number, and grammar code links because I use them so much. The conversion utility did not convert over this functionality.

But when you use the conversion utility to convert the Strong's Plus Dictionary module so it will import into e-Sword X on Mac, you can see a great example of what a link looks like with its underline formatting, but does not retain the functionality of the using the links. In Strong's Plus Dictionary most or all of the Greek numbers are linked to Hebrew numbers, and visa versa, but these links do not work.

Thanks!

#6 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

But when you use the conversion utility to convert the Strong's Plus Dictionary module so it will import into e-Sword X on Mac, you can see a great example of what a link looks like with its underline formatting, but does not retain the functionality of the using the links. In Strong's Plus Dictionary most or all of the Greek numbers are linked to Hebrew numbers, and visa versa, but these links do not work.

Thanks!

1) Strong numbers are not longer underlined since e-Sword 11 (the 10 version was green and underlined but Strong.lexi without the + is in violet only).

2) the reason why you has trouble with the links is because of Options Strong's #Tooltip in active window ; select another lexicon.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#7 SetApartChosenOne

SetApartChosenOne

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:09 AM

1) Strong numbers are not longer underlined since e-Sword 11 (the 10 version was green and underlined but Strong.lexi without the + is in violet only).

2) the reason why you has trouble with the links is because of Options Strong's #Tooltip in active window ; select another lexicon.

Grace and peace, Katoog!

Thank you for your input.

I am using e-Sword X on Mac. When you mentioned "Options Strong's #Tooltip in active window ; select another lexicon", I assume that is in reference to the Windows version of e-Sword. And that's fine. If not, then I don't understand.

I do have e-Sword for Windows installed, but I really don't use it. Primarily I use e-Sword X on Mac, and I hope to find a solution to this issue.

Maybe I'll just need to wait until all the modules get changed to the new HTML format, then all I should need to do from that point is change the file extensions to .bbli, or .dcti, for example, in order to solve this problem.

Blessings!

#8 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Grace and peace, Katoog!

Thank you for your input.

I am using e-Sword X on Mac. When you mentioned "Options Strong's #Tooltip in active window ; select another lexicon", I assume that is in reference to the Windows version of e-Sword. And that's fine. If not, then I don't understand.

I do have e-Sword for Windows installed, but I really don't use it. Primarily I use e-Sword X on Mac, and I hope to find a solution to this issue.

Maybe I'll just need to wait until all the modules get changed to the new HTML format, then all I should need to do from that point is change the file extensions to .bbli, or .dcti, for example, in order to solve this problem.

Blessings!

In e-Sword X on Mac,

- links to a bible reference with a pair of tags, <ref></ref>, e.g. <ref>Joh 3:16</ref>

- links to a Strong number dictionary with <num> & </num>, e.g. <num>G2424</num>

- links a word to a dictionary topic, just right click a word and select "Define"

Blessings,

Eliran

#9 SetApartChosenOne

SetApartChosenOne

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

In e-Sword X on Mac,

- links to a bible reference with a pair of tags, <ref></ref>, e.g. <ref>Joh 3:16</ref>

- links to a Strong number dictionary with <num> & </num>, e.g. <num>G2424</num>

- links a word to a dictionary topic, just right click a word and select "Define"

Blessings,

Eliran

Wow, thanks Eliran Wong!

That is very helpful.

I have browsed message board topics where the topic title had something to do with how to create or modify a module.

The thing is the time necessary to complete the work is not available to me.

There are far too many modules in my library with this issue, and setting tags on each item in need of a link would take far too long to complete.

Knowing my schedule, I think the Lord might return before I'd finish. (smile)

Nonetheless, just today I read a post where another popular message board participant commented about the idea of modifying all modules into HTML files.

I hope while this is accomplished, all of the modules with links retain the links e-Sword for Windows without leaving the e-Sword on Mac users to find a solution on our own.

I assumed the 3.0.0 version of the conversion utility would do it, but not so.

As a matter of fact, the conversion utility does do it, but only for e-Sword for Windows.

Earlier today I used the conversion utility 3.0.0 to convert my copy of the Strong's Plus Dictionary for e-Sword 10, then I installed it in my copy of e-Sword 11, and the links work. I am not sure why the links in this same converted module do not work in the current version of e-Sword X on Mac.

Once again, thank you for your kindness.

Blessings

#10 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

Wow, thanks Eliran Wong!

That is very helpful.

I have browsed message board topics where the topic title had something to do with how to create or modify a module.

The thing is the time necessary to complete the work is not available to me.

There are far too many modules in my library with this issue, and setting tags on each item in need of a link would take far too long to complete.

Knowing my schedule, I think the Lord might return before I'd finish. (smile)

Nonetheless, just today I read a post where another popular message board participant commented about the idea of modifying all modules into HTML files.

I hope while this is accomplished, all of the modules with links retain the links e-Sword for Windows without leaving the e-Sword on Mac users to find a solution on our own.

I assumed the 3.0.0 version of the conversion utility would do it, but not so.

As a matter of fact, the conversion utility does do it, but only for e-Sword for Windows.

Earlier today I used the conversion utility 3.0.0 to convert my copy of the Strong's Plus Dictionary for e-Sword 10, then I installed it in my copy of e-Sword 11, and the links work. I am not sure why the links in this same converted module do not work in the current version of e-Sword X on Mac.

Once again, thank you for your kindness.

Blessings

I think you may needs about 15 min for that:

- re: bible links, e-Sword has a very standard set of abbreviations for 66 books, just do a search and replace, like searching (Gen|Exo|Lev|Num|Deu) ([0-9]+?:[0-9]+?)([^0-9]), replaced with <ref>\1 \2</ref>\3, may do many bible links for the first five books.  add more abb. in the first pair of ( ), do more, just simply click "replace all" save your time ...

- re: Strong's no., even easier, search: (G|H)([0-9]+?)([^0-9]), replace all with <num>\1\2</num>\3

if you have many modules, use TextWrangler.  I use this free software to do all my modules, can do search and replace for multiple files and folder.

Remarks: enable "case sensitive" and "regular expression" while you do search and replace

Edited by Eliran Wong, 07 September 2016 - 10:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users