Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

What's Still Broken As Of e-Sword 11.06?

126 replies to this topic

#31 Izajasz

Izajasz

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

One other odd little bug (though probably harmless):

4. After upgrading 11.05 to 11.06, I happened to notice in Windows Programs and Features that BOTH e-Sword 11.05 and e-Sword 11.06 were listed there as installed.

I then simply uninstalled 11.05 through the Windows dialogue, and as far as I can tell everything still seems to be working fine.

#32 walef

walef

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

F4 does not copy the book and chapter of the bible. Only the verse and text. Foe example Isaiah 27:3 copies:

3 I, the LORD, do keep it; I will water it every moment. Lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day.

Niobi aka Patchworkid''s Personal Study Bible

#33 ray.mercer

ray.mercer

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:29 AM

Parallel Bible and Japanese Bibles (version 11.06)

When I select the Japanese Bibles included with eSword the Parallel Bible column spacing is incorrect and therefor it is hard to read the Japanese. See the screenshot below for an example. It doesn't matter how many Bibles I use or whether the Japanese Bibles are first, center, or last column. The behavior is always to make the Japanese column too narrow.

Perhaps the fact that Japanese has no word boundaries is contributing to this issue? If so it will probably affect these 11 languages:
https://en.wikipedia...word_boundaries

I hope this issue can be fixed. I love this software and want to recommend it to my Japanese friends (Mac is popular here too). Perhaps the column width can be calculated differently without too much effort?

Blessings,

Ray

capture-parallel.png

Edited by ray.mercer, 03 October 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#34 ray.mercer

ray.mercer

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:03 AM

By the way, if I use ONLY Japanese Bibles the above issue does not present. It is only if I add an English Bible WITH a Japanese Bible that the issue appears.

-Ray

#35 jlw515

jlw515

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:06 AM

I'm having an issue with the fonts for NA26. I use Windows 10, and since the upgrade my NA26/27 shows incoherent text with a bunch of question marks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

#36 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

I'm having an issue with the fonts for NA26. I use Windows 10, and since the upgrade my NA26/27 shows incoherent text with a bunch of question marks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

You need to make sure the correct fonts are set in e-sword for Greek, Hebrew, Latin and other languages. To do this you need click Options from the menu across the top of E-Sword and then Fonts from the option menu, Selecting fonts will open a small window that shows which fonts are set for Greek, Hebrew, and Latin plus 10 more languages. The font for Greek, Hebrew, and Latin is Titus Cyberbit Basic

#37 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

By the way, if I use ONLY Japanese Bibles the above issue does not present. It is only if I add an English Bible WITH a Japanese Bible that the issue appears.

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Before answering I have to confess that I am really out of my depth, and as such I may be totally incorrect. With that said, I'll give you my best shot.

Based on having some understanding of both UTF and RTF coding, and required database language setting, The problem you are encountering is not an e-Sword issue. All e-Sword is doing is reading the information/data that is in the Database file. Going by appearances only, it seems that your language and UTF settings in the database file needs to be changed, and that can only be done with either SQLite Manager, SQLite Browser, or SQLite tool that one can use to change these setting.

To Understand what is happening, to read the Japanese language, it is read in vertical columns from Right to Left. And if my guess is correct, it appears you have it going from Left to Right.

The next part that needs to be changed, is your UTF setting from UTF8 to UTF-16be (Big Endian), or UTF-16le (Little Endian). You may need to play around (experiment with these two settings to find out which one will work. You will also need to find out what the RTF language code for Japanese is, and place this in the main Bible Text Field.

Another great tip is to see if you can get some help from Rick Meyers on this considering that he's the dude that wrote e-Sword. Theory: he should know. :D

Now, as I said at the start of this, I could be totally in correct. Therefore feel free to tell me that if that is the case.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 13 September 2016 - 03:51 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#38 jlw515

jlw515

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:36 PM

I've done as instructed, and made sure that I have that font on my computer, and still doesn't work. The Greek characters show correctly on the TRi tab, but not NA26

Jason

#39 ray.mercer

ray.mercer

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:29 AM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for answering about the screenshot I posted.

The problem you are encountering is not an e-Sword issue. All e-Sword is doing is reading the information/data that is in the Database file. Going by appearances only, it seems that your language and UTF settings in the database file needs to be changed, and that can only be done with either SQLite Manager, SQLite Browser, or SQLite tool that one can use to change these setting.

Just to be clear, I removed all extraneous modules and left in only the 3 in the screenshot. They are all created by Rick (I did help a little at one point providing source and a hcked together version of one of the Japanese modules but he made the finished product). All three are downloaded from the eSword website and not editable by me.

Also about Japanese RTL and veritcal. You are right that Japanese MAY be written vertically and in that case it is normally read from right to left. But these modules are written in the more modern way of left to right and horizontally. If they have been encoded RTL that is a bug because they are not written that way.

-Ray

#40 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:42 AM

Simply contact Rick, then post his response here for all to know.

http://www.e-sword.net/feedback.html

Jon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users