Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

What's Still Broken As Of e-Sword 11.06?

126 replies to this topic

#51 stolkiwi

stolkiwi

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWhanganui (NZ)

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:58 PM

Yes the commentaries link to the bibles even in parallel mode 

check

that the chain icon is still selected

that the commentary has info on that verse it will have a blue i

if these are not the case then esword 11 and higher is broken in this area or is designed to no longer perform this feature

I'm still running 10.4 and tested what you described and it works 

DSaw

Prior to version 11.0.x parallel reading worked fine. Commentaries were updated when a verse would be selected, either by clicking or by using F9 or F12.

In v.11.0.6 clicking does not select a verse. The reference in the status bar showing the current verse is not updated either. Hence no commentaries being updated.

Avoiding clicking by using F9 or F12 does update the current verse reference, so commentaries update too. However, something else is broken here: all the scripture disappears from the reading pane... This must be a bug. Otherwise F9 and F12 need be disabled... However, using F5 or F8 for scrolling a chapter works fine! Scripture is updated (and visible) and the commentaries update.

Hope this clarifies.

Blessings

Adrian

#52 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:48 AM

I have a fairly good computer but not the greatest display adapter (Windows 7 - 64 bit). I don't think that my display adapter likes e-Sword 11-06, and it has resulted in a number of quirks that I've grown tired of. I've already started using TheWord as my primary Bible Study program, and I'm thinking about going back to e-Sword 10-04. Everything worked perfectly on 10-04. I've been waiting for the time being for more information and/or the possible release of another e-Sword version that works for me. I've been an e-Sword user for a very long time, and I must say that I'm disappointed with the current version. Please consider this as information, not just complaining.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#53 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

Hi journey

I'm replying open forum so my facts can be corrected if wrong

I have tried every version from 11.0.0. up except one version which I can not remember right now, and each time have gone back to 10.4

As you! also I have started using TheWord and MySword more often, as currently I'm using eSword to build an Englishman's concordance plus module

I long hoped that Rick would abandon his underlining text control for a more modern engine which would allow more customization and work better with HTML TheWord and MySword both use HTML (correct ?) and they do not have the restrictions that eSword has

As of eSword 11.0 + I no longer like the look and feel and especially the loss of drag and drop in eSword and as of right now, there is no way to customize it to my liking the reason, I like MySword & TheWord  as they are  customizable to the way I study and the look and feel I like.

I'm using MySword for study prep because of mySword's bible markup features more and more though I'm using MySword to study with. (which I thought would not happen)

I do not Know there may come a point where staying with eSword 10.4 is not practical and a switching totally to a new study program is warranted many here have already switched to other bible study programs but still create modules for eSword

I think I have said this before somewhere, for me I'ts just wait and see 

DSaw

Note to JOSH: I just realized that this is a special thread and if this does not fit into your guidelines for this thread Please feel free to delete this post (no hard feelings)

Edited by DSaw, 28 September 2016 - 12:15 PM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#54 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

DSaw,

Thank you sincerely for all of the information.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#55 TGZ284

TGZ284

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

Tried to enter a problem I'm having but it triggered an anti-spam alarm.

#56 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

I long hoped that Rick would abandon his underlining text control for a more modern engine which would allow more customization and work better with HTML TheWord and MySword both use HTML (correct ?) and they do not have the restrictions that eSword has

On this note, the text control he uses in 11.0+ is one of the latest versions. Now, I don't know if this is a good one or not, but its the same one used in MS Word.

Regarding Text Controls for Windows Winforms and WPF there are only two brands around that I am aware of, and they are:

1. Text Controls from textcontrols.com
  2. TX Text Control from ComponentSauce.

Both these controls are able to handle HTML and etc. The best guess I have is that Rick uses the first one.

Any Bible Study Software using Windows will use one of the above two.

As to what Macs, iOS, and Android devices use, I don't know.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#57 GodIsGreat

GodIsGreat

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

I have a fairly good computer but not the greatest display adapter (Windows 7 - 64 bit). I don't think that my display adapter likes e-Sword 11-06, and it has resulted in a number of quirks that I've grown tired of. I've already started using TheWord as my primary Bible Study program, and I'm thinking about going back to e-Sword 10-04. Everything worked perfectly on 10-04. I've been waiting for the time being for more information and/or the possible release of another e-Sword version that works for me. I've been an e-Sword user for a very long time, and I must say that I'm disappointed with the current version. Please consider this as information, not just complaining.

I am on Windows 7 too. Sometimes the text is out of sync or crooked looking. Is that what you are seeing?

#58 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

I am on Windows 7 too. Sometimes the text is out of sync or crooked looking. Is that what you are seeing?

Yes, that's part of it, besides the scroll bars and menu bars that don't line up. I do get ghost characters on the right margin and lines I can't read until I click the mouse in several locations and scroll up and down. I was beginning to think that I was the only one with problems like this. I did manage to get a screenshot. Now I'll see if I can figure out how to post it. If the attachment works, scroll the capture down to see the worst.

Attached Files

Edited by journey, 28 September 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#59 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Ah! - It worked! I noticed that this one doesn't even have a scroll bar for the Bible window. You should see ghost characters in both main windows. Look at the bottom right for bold and blurred lines. I really never know what I'll get, but it is consistently messed up when I first start e-Sword. I sometimes get a repeat performance when I open other windows (i.e. dictionary, editor).

See the below screenshot for what it should look like and does after 4 mouse clicks and scrolling both windows up and down.

Attached Files

Edited by journey, 28 September 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#60 ASK

ASK

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

I have recently updated e-Sword to 11.0.6 on my Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet running Windows 10 (not Annivesary version). I find that it is impossible to activate the resources in the line immediately above the toolbar using a finger or a stylus - either the toollbar icon below or the resource above are activated. This was not an issue with 11.0.5 although it was still difficult to use a finger touch throughout all the e-Sword screeens. If I attach a mouse the buttons on the resources row above the toolbar  can be activated, but attaching a mouse to a tablet rather defeats the purpose of using a tablet!

e-Sword is long overdue to have a revamp to make it touch friendly.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users