Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Encountering a copy/paste issue with e-Sword v11

14 replies to this topic

#1 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

I use Notepad++ as my text editor to write letters, and copy verses from eSword with it's 'Copy Verses' utility.  For the past 5 years this has worked very well, but with eSword v11 the copy function doesn't seem to work.  Usually I just use my mouse buttons, but I've also tried to use the keyboard shortcuts and the results are the same.  It appears to 'copy' the verses, but when I go to post them onto the text editor nothing transfers.

Does anyone else have this problem, or is this a new feature and not a bug?  Thanks for your feedback.

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hi Larry,

I use Notepad++ for working on code when I don't need to use Visual Studio.

A note to myself. Remember to do a blog on text editors for Programmers.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

I use Notepad++ as my text editor to write letters, and copy verses from eSword with it's 'Copy Verses' utility.  For the past 5 years this has worked very well, but with eSword v11 the copy function doesn't seem to work.  Usually I just use my mouse buttons, but I've also tried to use the keyboard shortcuts and the results are the same.  It appears to 'copy' the verses, but when I go to post them onto the text editor nothing transfers.

Does anyone else have this problem, or is this a new feature and not a bug?  Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I have similar issues I could drag a drop Now I have to copy and paste special into Word and even that is twitchy so much so that I reverted back to an earlier e-Sword I will see how things have progressed when I finish the first part of my current project

DSaw

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#4 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

Thanks DSaw for your input.  For a while there I thought my basic incompetence was shinning through again.

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

Bible > Copy Verses doesn't seem work with...well, anything outside of e-Sword, except Microsoft Word? It won't paste into Windows notepad, Sublime Text Editor, Photoshop, or even the URL bar of a browser. It does paste into Microsoft products, such as Office.

#6 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:30 PM

Thanks Josh, I don't use MS Office.  I'll check out Open Office.

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

Here is what I observe, in e-Sword 10.4, when you copy verses,  on the clipboard, you have 4 types of data,  Rich Text Format,  CF_TEXT  CF_OEMTEXT, and CF_UNICODETEXT.  In e-Sword 11.0, you get only Rich Text Format.  There is no CF_TEXT or CF_UNICODETEXT so programs like Notepad++ which may not use RTF, will not see anything useful on the clipboard and so it will not work.  So clearly v11.0 has changed what it puts into the clipboard and I hope this gets fixed.  

Additionally, I can not get the e-Sword Macros to work with an HTML Bible module.  And in v11.0, the macros performance is greatly degraded from that or 10.4 being extremely slow.  

Highlighting and underlining is thrown off in v11.0 with the Pericope turned on.

Perhaps with all the file type change over, these things will be eventually fixed.  I am thinking of going back to v10.4 for everyday use at least for now. 

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

I think you were the one telling me that e-Sword macros are so slow in 11 because e-Sword converts from HTML to back to RTF for the macros in memory in realtime?

Additionally, I can not get the e-Sword Macros to work with an HTML Bible module.  And in v11.0, the macros performance is greatly degraded from that or 10.4 being extremely slow.  

#9 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

I think you were the one telling me that e-Sword macros are so slow in 11 because e-Sword converts from HTML to back to RTF for the macros in memory in realtime?

The macros are slow.  As to way, I was only speculating why, I don't actually know why.  And I have not been able to get the macros to work yet with an HTML BBLI file in 11.0.  RTF BBLX modules are slow in the macros.  Perhaps this will affect few people.  

When peeking at the clipboard after doing a Copy Verses in v11.0 there is only RTF text, there is no other format.  In v10, there were CF_TEXT and CF_UNICODETEXT, which were unformatted versions of the verses.  The even the "unformatted" option puts RTF text on the clipboard, albeit with no formatting.  There is no plain TEXT data on the clipboard in v11.0.  So "Copy Verses" will only work when pasting into a program that understands RTF!

#10 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

I just tried, and you also can't copy and paste Scripture into forums like this one.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users