Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Features I would like to see in the new e-Sword

17 replies to this topic

#1 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:10 AM

Universal Verse(s) tagging

Your reading a bible and find a verse on a subject lets say baptism you highlight then go to  menu or click on the verse reference and a menu comes up where you to assign a tag to that verse

e-Sword would place a sign that this verse is tagged maybe hover over and the tag will display

maybe the feature can be hidden or viewed with a menu choice to show or hide the full  tag name

When the tag is created a verse list of the that tag name would also be created

This feature would tag all bibles

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#2 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

Traditional interlinear formatting ability

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#3 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

A full featured module creation tool

Brent’s ToolTipTool is one of if not the single most important tools for e-Sword but I’m thinking that there will may have be a switch to another program language

Then the question would be will Brent know the new language or even be willing to develop a T4 for the new language

what ever happens a creation tool is needed A conversion tool would be a good stop gap but as I have seen with conversion across languages some features are not converted or are not able to be utilized 

#4 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Ability to open multiple windows with in e-Sword

I would like to have the ability to open multiple dictionaries, commentaries, etc.

these windows would all be resizable 

#5 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:12 AM

Module selection using window file system

this would mainly for organizational use

#6 Carlton Meredith

Carlton Meredith

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

I would very much enjoy using a low-light Night Editor (darkened screen) in e-Sword on my iPad..

This would ideally include not just a low-light typing space for my notes, that I can use off-line, but also a darkened version of the iPad on-screen keyboard.

The Bible app for iPad from YouVersion (LifeChurch) provides an excellent model or example of what I am talking about.

Blessings, and thanks for your good work!

Carlton Meredith

Brussels, Belgium

#7 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

In the next e-Sword build, I'd like to see the following:

1. The ability to use ctrl-a to highlight everything in the search bars (presently, it does nothing when your cursor is there).

2. The ability to search through your entire reference library at once.

3. A modifiable Bible feature (where one can use any public domain Bible and add notes directly into the text, perhaps making the notes a specific color)

4. The ability to have user-modules that can take advantage of the pop-up footnote feature that is in the official NASB module (and perhaps others).

5. The ability to "tag" the reference library files, so that you can search through just the "historical" files, or the "biographical" files, or the "eschatology" files, etc. without having to scroll through all the reference library files you've got.  This might just be an issue for the super-users who have a couple hundred or more files.

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:19 PM

#2 is already a feature. In the Reference Library, click Library > Extended Search. Choose all modules (or a partial selection if you want).

In the next e-Sword build, I'd like to see the following:

1. The ability to use ctrl-a to highlight everything in the search bars (presently, it does nothing when your cursor is there).

2. The ability to search through your entire reference library at once.

3. A modifiable Bible feature (where one can use any public domain Bible and add notes directly into the text, perhaps making the notes a specific color)

4. The ability to have user-modules that can take advantage of the pop-up footnote feature that is in the official NASB module (and perhaps others).

5. The ability to "tag" the reference library files, so that you can search through just the "historical" files, or the "biographical" files, or the "eschatology" files, etc. without having to scroll through all the reference library files you've got.  This might just be an issue for the super-users who have a couple hundred or more files.

#9 dan ramsey

dan ramsey

e-Sword Supporter

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Location13104

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

I would like to see a new Notes feature under the Editor page configured to Strong's Numbers possibly called "word notes" that would correspond to a dictionary module as Study Notes corresponds to a Commentary Module.

Dan Ramsey

dan ramsey

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

I would like to see a new Notes feature under the Editor page configured to Strong's Numbers possibly called "word notes" that would correspond to a dictionary module as Study Notes corresponds to a Commentary Module.

Dan Ramsey

Hi Dan,

I'm not exactly certain as to what you are getting at. With that said, Strong numbers in all of the note editors can be automatically seen by the tooltip. All one needs to do is type, e.g., G123, or H123, and then place the cursor over it, and up pops the definition on what ever Strong's Numbered dictionary has been selected.

The Dictionary definition can be pasted directly into any of the note editors by clicking on, e.g., Paste Into Study Notes, from the context menu. This is the same as all of e-Sword's references.

However, to have what one can see in the Bible window of a note, programmatically this would, if not impossible, be extremely difficult to do due to the type of controls that are used in e-Sword. Biggest problem one has to overcome is where to put the marker (an icon, or some other indicator) showing a note, or reference. It can be placed in an rtf text box or text control, but would only show up for that particular reference. Then one has to remember that reference and actual dictionary resource used; thus making it really difficult.

Furthermore, when it comes to the one we see used in Bible Windows, it doesn't matter which translation of the Bible one uses, as the marker is set next to the actual Scripture (Chapter and Verse) reference. But when it comes to dictionaries and commentaries, there is no such place where to place the markers for notes.

Theoretically, great idea. But in practice, extremely awkward and nigh impossible.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 13 July 2016 - 06:22 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users