Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Does e-Sword for PC support traditional interlinear view?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

A little more food for thought.....

A sample SQL table structure showing how verse data might be stored in that table.

Notice that the 1st verse of Matthew takes up 11 records in the table.

Attached File  How Verse Data Might be Stored in a Table.jpg   115.62K   12 downloads

You can not, of course, use this in the current e-Sword, as that program knows nothing about this file structure. This is, as I said, just food for thought....

#22 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:12 PM

I Got-a quit doing this stuff ;)

More food for thought... this time kinda borrowing from Stephens idea....

Attached File  More Food for Thought.jpg   177.01K   14 downloads

#23 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

And to cap it off with a cherry on top.....

Attached File  Even More Thoughtful Food.jpg   183K   14 downloads

Now I think that this one is do-able.

Set it up as a Commentary.

The verse in a vertical format is still readable and not hard to follow.

You have a limited number of Columns and the table will scroll.

You can still have strongs... AND !!!!

You can create a T-V-M dictionary to go along with it.You even have room to add a couple columns for some other numbered resource...i don't know, Vines? TWOT, or some such.

Please note.. I said YOU can... I would not want to even think about trying this.... I am not too sure you could automate the process. You would have to build each verse as a single table--- by hand......

Edited by Roy, 03 June 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#24 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:23 PM

One last taste of this Food for Thought...

This time as a commentary file...

Attached File  One Last Taste.jpg   203.11K   12 downloads

#25 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

yes, I did a commentary for Apple version of BHSE, but I only put dictionary entry points in it. Thank you very much.

Edited by Eliran Wong, 04 June 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#26 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

And to cap it off with a cherry on top.....

attachicon.gifEven More Thoughtful Food.jpg

Now I think that this one is do-able.

Set it up as a Commentary.
The verse in a vertical format is still readable and not hard to follow.
You have a limited number of Columns and the table will scroll.
You can still have strongs... AND !!!!
You can create a T-V-M dictionary to go along with it.You even have room to add a couple columns for some other numbered resource...i don't know, Vines? TWOT, or some such.

Please note.. I said YOU can... I would not want to even think about trying this.... I am not too sure you could automate the process. You would have to build each verse as a single table--- by hand......

I had already tried the tvm file, but found that Mac tvm dictionary does not support entries other than standard one in rmac. i.e. in Mac, only those match the entries in rmac are linked, all other customed entries, even tags with <tvm> are not linked. this problem may appear only in Mac, I had not tried in Windows.

Edited by Eliran Wong, 04 June 2016 - 08:19 AM.

#27 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:42 AM

I had already tried the tvm file, but found that Mac tvm dictionary does not support entries other than standard one in rmac. i.e. in Mac, only those match the entries in rmac are linked, all other customed entries, even tags with <tvm> are not linked. this problem may appear only in Mac, I had not tried in Windows.

There are TVM dictionaries for E-Sword for windows with extra entries 

#28 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:53 AM

I can be completely wrong about this, but as I understand it, this is how e-Sword works...

e-Sword is constantly "looking" at the word under the mouse pointer (i.e. a mouse over event).

When it sees a word that matches a particular format, say one that starts with the single letter "H" or "G" and is followed by a series of numbers....."G2384", that mouse-over event is triggered and e-Sword will then look in the dictionary that was set-up in Options as the ToolTip Lexicon. *IF* that word is found in that dictionary (Strong's by default), then a tool-tip pop-up occurs displaying the dictionary entry.

For those of us creating modules, Strong's number style text (H999 & G999) is the only available "trigger" for for pop-ups in e-Sword.

Now for another "built-in" feature of e-Sword. If you click on "ANY" word in e-Sword, "AND" that word is in any of your active dictionaries, a indicator displays on the dictionaries tab. In my example I had the short little dictionary I threw together active and open below the commentary window. I made entries in the dictionary, making the "Word" the Morph text, i.e. "N-AM-P". So, when I click on that word "N-AM-P", I am just using a Built-in function of e-Sword. I did not have to "tag" anything.

Some people have made dictionaries utilizing "Strong's" numbers as the word entry in that dictionary, but changed the definition's text to display what they want.

Others have done something similar. They "extend" the Strong's number set. They keep the original numbers intact, but add additional numbers past the original ending range.

For Hebrew - H8675 & forward. For Greek G5625 and forward. Now this does work, and you can keep the function of regular Strong's numbers, but.....

Neither of these is a good idea in my opinion. Why? This can lead to confusion for the user...

You have to set this dictionary as the default tool-tip dictionary and if you simply re-purposed the regular Strong's numbers, this can break the "regular" function of Strong's numbers.

Then, you hover over one of these "New" links, expecting a Strong's definition, but get a TVM explanation instead. Whats up!?!?!

More later.....

Roy

#29 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

Hi

have you given any thought to non traditional i.e. a horizontal Interlinear

see screen shot 

Attached File  horizontal interlinear.png   502.04K   26 downloads

DSaw

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#30 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

Hi

have you given any thought to non traditional i.e. a horizontal Interlinear

see screen shot 

attachicon.gifhorizontal interlinear.png

DSaw

Hmm,

That would, in essence, give the same results AND would allow one to create the module as an actual Bible.

I suppose I was overly focused on the concept of using an actual table.

One of the things I was trying to control was line wrap.

(Trying to make sure that each element (or layer) for the target word stayed with that word all in the same line.

Using a table as a control would force that row to stay intact. I could not, however, get the columns in a single row table to wrap if I changed the displaying window width.

The end portion of my row would simply disappear off the edge of the screen when I used a narrower display window (Hence the vertical table).

I was also after a certain "Visual" appeal, attempting to mimic what Eliran Wong had already produced.

I'll mull this over some more. Thanks for the input.

Have a Blessed Lords Day!

Edited by Roy, 05 June 2016 - 08:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users