Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Does e-Sword for PC support traditional interlinear view?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

Greetings all PC-eSword experts!

I had created a module for e-Sword (Apple/Mac/iPad/iPhone), which is in traditional interlinear layout, i.e. Greek word right above English gloss and all other information, at http://www.biblesupp...iphone-android/

I attached a screenshot for this layout here.

I am going to convert my BHSE collection in similar layout too, which is now only in MySword format (http://www.biblesupp...-etcbc-4b-hebr/ )

As I aware many users use e-Sword in PC, is it possible to convert Apple e-Sword files into PC e-Sword files directly?  Does e-Sword for PC support traditional interlinear view?

I heard about many discussion on a powerful tool, ToolNT, in this forum.  Is this tool able to do the conversion I needed?  As I do not use Windows computer, I had not yet tried ToolNT yet.

looking to a solution ... many thanks.

Attached Files

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:03 PM

I had created a module for e-Sword (Apple/Mac/iPad/iPhone), which is in traditional interlinear layout, i.e. Greek word right above English gloss and all other information, at http://www.biblesupp...iphone-android/

I am going to convert my BHSE collection in similar layout too, which is now only in MySword format (http://www.biblesupp...-etcbc-4b-hebr/ )

As I aware many users use e-Sword in PC, is it possible to convert Apple e-Sword files into PC e-Sword files directly?  Does e-Sword for PC support traditional interlinear view?

I heard about many discussion on a powerful tool, ToolNT, in this forum.  Is this tool able to do the conversion I needed?  As I do not use Windows computer, I had not yet tried ToolNT yet.

There are number of interlinear bibles that can be downloaded for use in E-Sword they can be found on this site.

The tool is called Tooltip NT but its not a converter is a module creation tool. 

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Hi Eliran,

Having looked at your screenshot, I don't know how you achieved that for e-Sword X, and moreover I don't know if you can have that run in the same way for e-Sword PC. Due to the fact that desktop PC monitors vary in size so the line lengths vary as well. This also would happen by the adjustability of the Bible (Scripture) window/view.

Interlinear Greek and Hebrew in e-Sword PC

e-s_Interlinear Greek.jpg e-s_Interlinear Hebrew.jpg

As seen in the above Screenshots, this is about the best that it gets for an "interlinear" Bible for e-Sword PC, and to date, no one has come up with anything that looks like in your screenshot in e-Sword X. And the reason for this, I think, maybe it has something do with the limitations of rtf (rich text format) code to bring about the desired result as seen in e-Sword X.

In theory only, as yet this is to be tested; the solution I had in mind was to have about four individual lines of text with a maximum of 8 words per line:

\line 8 words of Greek Text
\line 8 words of transliterated text
\line 8 Strong Numbers corresponding to each of the above words
\line 8 direct translated words (optional)
\line 8 words from an English translation of the Bible

I don't think you would be able to have more than 8 words per line without them cutting each other off.

As I said, this is only in theory, and has yet to be tested to see if it will work.

You should be able to do this in ToolTip Tool NT (T4) as you would be only using a maximum of 8 words per line.

I hope this will work for you.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:07 AM

Hi Apsit190,

Thank you so much for your help.  Very helpful.  I really appreciate you help a lot in many posts at this forum.  I will try your suggestion.

As I had achieved the layout for Apple e-Sword app simply by HTML coding, it fit into various screen sizes, creating new lines automatically at the end of the screen.  I am not sure if RTF has such flexibility.

I appreciate that there are already many interlinear Hebrew and Greek resources available for e-Sword PC.  I enjoy those materials so much.  Only that I had not yet found any Hebrew bible module with parsing information, that's why I want to create one for e-Sword.  For Greek module, I had not found any one with NA28 markers yet.  That's why I am doing the MySword files and bring to e-Sword as well.

I will try after finishing the Hebrew modules for Apple e-Sword (Mac/iPad/iPhone/iOS)

Many thanks.

Blessings,

Eliran

#5 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:00 PM

Stephen,

My 1st thought was tables.....

You "could" do it that way, but.... I have a feeling you would have to build it by hand for each verse. Not much ability to automate the process. One table per verse.

The file structure would not fit the current paradigm of course.

A new structure something like "Book, Chapter, Verse, Cell, Row 1, Row 2, Row 3, Row 4, Row 5" or some such where Cell would be each word group, and Rows 1-5 would be 1) English, 2) Greek (or Hebrew), 3) Transliteration, 4) VTM, 5) Strong's or some such. The number of rows to be increased based on how many different elements you want to include.

I wonder if a Bible Module could handle a 5 x (Y) table. I do believe you might/could do this as a commentary (versified) or a Topic file.

Each  verse would of course have to it's own table and each table would also have to very in size.

Anyway...  just some random musings...

Roy

#6 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

Simple sample....

Attached File  Interlinear Test-1.jpg   59.49K   33 downloads

#7 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

Honestly, I am not good at RTF coding, on which e-Sword modules for PC bases.  I attach another screenshot here for my newly created interlinear Hebrew bible module for Apple e-Sword (Mac/iPhone/iPad).  I hope someone can help me to bring this to e-Sword for PC as well.  I created this one by converting my MySword modules at

http://www.biblesupp...-etcbc-4b-hebr/

Do you think it is possible to do similar layout in e-Sword for PC?

Attached Files

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

Honestly, I am not good at RTF coding, on which e-Sword modules for PC bases.  I attach another screenshot here for my newly created interlinear Hebrew bible module for Apple e-Sword (Mac/iPhone/iPad).  I hope someone can help me to bring this to e-Sword for PC as well.  I created this one by converting my MySword modules at

http://www.biblesupp...-etcbc-4b-hebr/

Do you think it is possible to do similar layout in e-Sword for PC?

Tables can be created using Tooltip so creating the tables as Roy suggested is doable although it likely be a rather time consuming process. As Roy demonstrated you would need one table per bible verse. 

Edited by Tj Higgins, 02 June 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#9 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:09 AM

Tables can be created using Tooltip so creating the tables as Roy suggested is doable although it likely be a rather time consuming process. As Roy demonstrated you would need one table per bible verse.

if creating a table for each verse, would it mean different table width length for each verse? are these tables able to fit various screen sizes. In e-Sword for Mac, each verse automatically run in lines if screen width is too narrow for a whole verse. I am not sure if tables can behave in similar ways.

"IF" tables do work, I think it may not be necessary to build verse by verse. ... may be creating a html tables to align all elements first, then convert html to rtf if possible ... the problem is that I cannot imagine how a single table for a verse varies with screen size

Edited by Eliran Wong, 02 June 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#10 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

if creating a table for each verse, would it mean different table width length for each verse? are these tables able to fit various screen sizes. In e-Sword for Mac, each verse automatically run in lines if screen width is too narrow for a whole verse. I am not sure if tables can behave in similar ways.

E-Sword for windows is made up of several different or individual windows for different things. One window is for the bible text, another for the commentary, another for the dictionary or dictionaries, and an another window for taking or making notes. The individual windows can be opened and closed as needed. You can also change the overall view of e-sword from a multiple window view to single view for each of the different module types.

The length of each particular verse would determine the number of cells required in each table, the tables should appear the same way regardless of screen size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users