How does such a system handle Hebrew and Greek Homographs?
I use either one of the following approaches to handle homographs, while converting lexicons to MyBible:
for example: if a word, "WORD", two meanings with the same spelling, "MEANING1" & "MEANING 2"
- for Greek, I will add two entries in language file, "el.dictionary.SQLite3", one entry mapping WORD to "WORD1", another entry mapping "WORD" to "WORD2"
- in Greek lexicon, create two different topics, "WORD1" and "WORD2" and put "MEANING1" & "MEANING 2" in definition field accordingly.
in this way, when you click the word "WORD" in bible modules, there will appear a dropdown list of 2 options, "WORD1" and "WORD2", at the right top corner of MyBible. click up to your choice will bring you to definition of your choice. this features is really good, just like searching oxford dictionary app in Android, always provide different entry options, if there are different meanings of the same spellings.
sometimes, I am little bit lazy, simply combine two entries into one, separated by a horizontal line <hr>
the above applies only in the current version, a better one is coming.
MyBible team is going to release a new version 4.5.2 to add even better support for dictionary lookup, you may see the coming new features, highlighted in yellow, at https://docs.google....7cM0vcimlA/edit
one of the team member further explain with the following:
We plan to add support for lexicons in such a way:
- You creare your new dictionary of type 'lexicon'
- You add a table words to the dictionary for each word of Bible so as:
-- if the word has only one corresponding Lexicon ID in all the verses you add to words only one record: wird - LexiconID
-- if the word has different meanings and different corresponding LexiconID you add records for each ocurrences of this word: word - LexiconID - book - chapter - verse.
- When you select the lexicon as the current dictionary and then click on the word in the Bible, the lookup algorithm finds the appropriate LexiconID and shows the topic.
- But if the algorithm find more then one LexiconIDs, it shows you a list of topics. It could be if two equal words with different LexiconIDs are in the same verse. It's rare but possible.
You can create different variants of lexicons including for example a translation from Strong and morphological information from RMAC. If you create words correctly you could use such a lexicon with any Bible module.
All you should do is to select your lexicon as the current dictionary.