Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

"e-Sword has stopped working"

25 replies to this topic

#11 Damien Barber

Damien Barber

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

I had the same problem and have told it to run in compatibility mode with Windows XP, which fixes the problem, but all my modules are not loading into the program under compatibility mode. I returned it to normal and the modules return (only it crashes after a few seconds still).

Is there a way to get all the modules to be recognized without downloading them all a second time (which would mean they would be taking up double the space on my computer)?

Of course it would be nice if this program would still place nice with Windows 10 since recent updates.

#12 Damien Barber

Damien Barber

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:16 AM

Update: I disabled AVG Virus Software (temporarily) and e-sword is working as normal (without compatibility mode). Any suggestions for how I can get e-sword to play nice with virus protection software?

Edited by Damien Barber, 05 May 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#13 Damien Barber

Damien Barber

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

Update 2: I seem to have fixed the problem by going into options and adding an exclusion to the virus software.

If you have AVG and wish to continue using e-sword normally, then here is what you need to do:

Open AVG --- options --- advanced settings --- exceptions --- add exception

Then find where the e-sword.exe program is on your computer and add it. Keep all three options checked (Resident Shield, Manual and Scheduled Scans, and Identity Protection). I originally just tried Resident Shield, but it still crashed the program, but with all three checked, e-sword still works (you can try various combinations if you wish, but I just disabled all three when it comes to e-sword).

Disclaimer: This could possibly open you up to a virus if there happens to be a virus that gets attached to e-sword.exe. I find the odds of this to be slim, so I have taken this risk, but I do warn you to do so at your own risk and I accept no responsibility should you experience a virus problem on your computer related to this fix.

Edited by Damien Barber, 05 May 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#14 BrotherDan

BrotherDan

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

The "AVG fix" worked for me. Thanks!

#15 Jennifer Bottrell

Jennifer Bottrell

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

I'm running Windows 8 and had the same problem after the recent Windows updates. I also tried all the "uninstall and reinstall" ideas without success, and not keen on not having the updates. Right click and "run as administrator" works for me, though you have to do it every time you open e-Sword.

#16 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

I'm running Windows 8 and had the same problem after the recent Windows updates. I also tried all the "uninstall and reinstall" ideas without success, and not keen on not having the updates. Right click and "run as administrator" works for me, though you have to do it every time you open e-Sword.

I had a similar problem with Internet Explorer after a recent Windows update, I did a system restore to a point before the update and that fixed the problem.

#17 Marcos Alirio

Marcos Alirio

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

It worked perfectly here. Thanks a lot. 

#18 doug@acts

doug@acts

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

I really appreciate this forum.  I had the problem too; but it appeared the day I launched the purchased RSV.bblx from eStudySource and I almost blamed that change...

I have chosen the Run as administrator method.

#19 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

You might also try this:

Right click the main e-Sword directory

Click properties

Click security

Click your user name

Click edit

Give yourself full control and make sure all boxes are checked

Save and exit

There are many problems caused by permissions, and the above usually solves it.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#20 tadec16

tadec16

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

I can get my office e-Sword to work correctly by right-clicking on the icon (each time) and choosing "Run as Administrator."  (I'm running Windows 10 on each device.)

I also had the problem after an AVG update.

Running as Administrator worked, but was annoying. So I went into AVG and set E-sword (the .exe file) as an exception, and now everything works fine.

Edited by tadec16, 11 May 2016 - 10:29 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users