Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

eSword, Linux, CrossOver, deepin

5 replies to this topic

#1 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:26 PM

If you search this, or any other site regarding Linux(/GNU) and how to get eSword running in/on it, you will inevitably see a reference to CrossOver. "CrossOver is a Microsoft Windows compatibility layer available for Mac OS and Linux."

And, CrossOver like many good programs cost money.

Then there is deepin. Deepin is a debian-based operating system that comes with CrossOver and many other cool programs in their "deepin store".

https://www.deepin.org

It will probably show up in mandarin Chinese; click on the globe in the upper right hand corner and select english

Attached File  Screenshot 2016-04-04 22:29:17.png   317bytes   0 downloads

More to come...

- -

#2 Jeff Kroll

Jeff Kroll

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMountain Lake Park, Maryland, USA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

Okay, so after being away for a long while, I see 2guntom that you're back to liking Deepin. I found it intriguing that CrossOver was built in to Deepin.  Upon checking it out

https://wiki.deepin....title=CrossOver

it looks like a trial version is supplied.  Deepin's wiki (see above link) says it "can be used for free temporarily."  CrossOver provides a .deb at their own website for a 2 week trial, so maybe it's the same length of time for Deepin's version?

One can get CrossOver via the Linux Mint repository, as well, and I'm guessing it, too, is a trial version.  So for me, there's not much of a realistic advantage to having a trial copy built in, when it's pretty easy to have the same result with a quick install via a repository.  In any case, it all goes along with my previous point, that for me running e-Sword via Crossover works pretty much just as well as in Win7.

#3 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

I have since withdrawn my endorsement of Deepin...

I started having some issues and there were no fixes available. I think the Deepin crew has remedied some of the problems, but I have since stopped using Deepin as my primary distro.

Deepin is very nice for for people that are not very computer literate. The layout is very similar to what some would experience with a basic tablet; it is very simple. For those that have older machines (XP, Vista) that are not worth the expense in upgrading to 7, 8.1, 10, this is a nice alternative. That is what drew me back when they released version 15; I have installed it for many people to keep them from throwing away old computers...

As for me, I am back to Xubuntu.

Thanks to the gentleman in this thread 

http://www.biblesupp...-wine-on-linux/

eSword runs beautifully, even better than it did in Crossover. I've never had eSword run this well in Linux/GNU, because I never understood to use WineTricks to get Windows drivers in Linux.

I don't know if you have looked at the history of Mint, but their lead developer is quite outspokenly antisemitic. He went so far as to express his feeling in the primary Mint blog to the tune of saying that if you support the Jews, then you can delete and stop using their stuff. Do a bit of Googling for the exact quote, but he never apologized for *what* he said, but only *that* he said it in the distro's main blog. 

#4 Jeff Kroll

Jeff Kroll

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

Wow! Will need to check into that.

#5 Jeff Kroll

Jeff Kroll

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

2guntom, here's one of the most recent things I found:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2802

See Post #90 & 94.  The posts are from just over a year ago.  Wish you well on Xubuntu!

#6 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

When I Google the topic, I get this -

I’m only going to ask for one thing here. If you do not agree I kindly ask you not to use Linux Mint and not to donate money to it....

I promise not to talk about this anymore. I don’t want any money or help coming from Israel or people who support the action of their current government.

Thank you for your understanding. This is very important to me.

He later moved the message to his personal blog,:

“I don’t want any money or help coming from people who support the actions of the Israeli government.”

That was cited from here http://abriefhistory.org/?p=774

The other links quote a guy who is a Linux fan and tries to come up with ways to "compromise" so he can keep Mint and somehow soothe his conscience. But, interestingly enough, they catch and cite Mr. Lefebvre in even more double speak.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users