Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

How to create a module

module creation

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 hendo1986

hendo1986

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCrieff, Scotland.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

What do you mean?

Just saw somebody left a 1 star rating without even downloading it, thats a bit pathetic realy, I spent ages doing that, and i'll be spending longer on the other two. One doesnt have to agree with the subject material for it to be usefull!

Tony

#12 RickB

RickB

e-Sword Supporter

• Contributors
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, Colorado

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

I am not quite sure about copyright issues on the Trinity brochure. The WTB&T society usually fuses over their material that is not yet in Public Domain, which the Trinity brochure is not yet in that category
RickB

#13 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

Woohoo, created my first topx, the JW's trinity brochure(dont shoot the messanger, its handy to have)I also sourced the bibliography which they dont print in the brochure, and added it to the end. Also working on two more, John MacArthurs sermon/commentary series on each scripture of the bible as released on his grace for you website(i'll release each book of the bible as a seperate topx) this is NOT his commentary on the whole bible which is not in the public domain, and the other is John Stevenson's commentary series on each chapter of the bible which is proving to be annoying, as it contains lots of tables, meaning it cant just be pasted as a whole into tooltip, TT'd then pasted into the topic file, as it wont allow for tables, so it has to be TT'd a bit at a time. but it will be worth it.

Thanks all

Tony.

Hi Tony,

We had to pull that Jehovah's Witnesses tract because the JW's are nasty about their content and copyright violations. If you get permission from them, we can re-enable the download. I do apologize as I know its frustrating to make a resource only to have someone not be able to host it.

We have John Stevenson's permission to use anything on his website, so feel free to convert anything there. Just be sure to note his copyright and attribute him as the author in the file description and inside the module (common courtesy when dealing with authors).

As for John MacArthur, they've asked other websites to remove John's free articles. His entire website is specifically copyrighted, so we'll need to ask permission before we can host his material, unless his material happens to say anyone is free to host and reproduce it. Absent a statement of that kind, then his copyright statement prevails. I hate to see you go to a lot of trouble in making a module only to find out that no one will be able to host it. It could save you a lot of time to ask first and then create the module if they say yes. Just my suggestion there...

If you need help determining the copyright status of a work, feel free to ask in the forums or PM me and I can help you figure it out. Sometimes it can be confusing. Dr. Dave has written a very nice primer on copyrights. And just because something is copyrighted doesn't mean we can't make a module and host it. It just means we need to ask permission first. I've had success with emails like this:

Hi [insert name],

We run BibleSupport.com, the largest e-Sword module repository on the internet. e-Sword is free Bible software and our website helps connect Christians with additional free bible translations, dictionaries, commentaries, and books in e-Sword format.

We're always looking for material to create new e-Sword modules. Authors will sometimes grant us permission to use their material to create e-Sword modules. I noticed your [insert name of work here]. This is exactly the type of material our e-Sword users like to read. Would you grant us permission to create an e-Sword module using this material? This way, e-Sword users all over the world could profit from your content when using e-Sword for their Bible study.

e-Sword is free, everything on BibleSupport.com is free, and the module with your content would also be free. I would include your copyright statement, attribute you as the author, and put a link to your website on the file description. This information would also be visible from within the e-Sword module. The module listing on your website would appear similar to this listing for another person who gave us permission: http://www.biblesupp...ction-25-files/.

As the copyright holder, you retain the right revoke our permission to host your material at any time. This way, if your work were published, you could comply with your publisher's contract.

I look forward to hearing from you on this matter.

[Your closing and name]

#14 hendo1986

hendo1986

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Wow, copyright's a pain in the backside :) Hopefully a few of you managed to grab it before it was pulled : The trinity brochure Underground edition he!he! All this red tape around the word that Jesus told to give freely.

Cheers for the letter template Josh, heres hoping John MacArthur will make an exception. Realy glad John Stevenson has given his permission as his website has one of the best commentaries i have seen. Has the informational pdf's that acompany the audio commentary on J.Vernon Mcgee's website been copyrighted(not the comentary documents, as im sure you have to buy them)?

Tony.

#15 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

Wow, copyright's a pain in the backside :) Hopefully a few of you managed to grab it before it was pulled : The trinity brochure Underground edition he!he! All this red tape around the word that Jesus told to give freely.

Cheers for the letter template Josh, heres hoping John MacArthur will make an exception. Realy glad John Stevenson has given his permission as his website has one of the best commentaries i have seen. Has the informational pdf's that acompany the audio commentary on J.Vernon Mcgee's website been copyrighted(not the comentary documents, as im sure you have to buy them)?

Tony.

Well just so ya know, a copyright attaches to anything anyone writes, provided the material meets the law's requirements for creativity, originality and/or a derivative work. In fact, when I was thinking of setting up this website, someone told me that if I wanted to import the posts from the old website, I would have to get permission from every single poster on the old website to use their "copyrighted" posts (rolls eyes.....). Sometimes, people take things further than what's practical. But the point is, an author does not have to file for a copyright to have a copyright. So anything a modern author, like Vernon Mcgree wrote is copyrighted.

But his site (thruthebible.org) says anything on the site can be used freely, as long as no charge is made! This is the sort of wide open permission I like to see and I normally do not ask permission if I see a permissions statement like the one below. I will usually paste this into the module so there's a record of the blanket permission given on the website at the time the module was created.

Permissions Guidelines on All Print and Audio Material
You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute any print or audio TTB material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way (or, if applicable, make it clear it is an excerpt), do not charge a fee of any kind for the copied material (including compensation for reproduction costs), and clearly attribute Dr. J. Vernon McGee and Thru the Bible Radio as the source of the material. Please include the following statement on any distributed or web-posted copy: "By Dr. J. Vernon McGee © Thru the Bible Radio Network, www.ttb.org." For web posting, a link to our website is requested.

#16 hendo1986

hendo1986

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

Ok, thanks josh. The John MacArthur files are pretty much the written scripts of his free audio commentary series, and they do say within them that its Ok to reproduce the info as long as it is for non commercial purposes and it isnt changed in any way, can i assume its ok then to go ahead and make the module? The John Stevenson Genesis is taking quite a significant amount of time, and although only half way done, its looking realy good.

Tony.

#17 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

Ok, thanks josh. The John MacArthur files are pretty much the written scripts of his free audio commentary series, and they do say within them that its Ok to reproduce the info as long as it is for non commercial purposes and it isnt changed in any way, can i assume its ok then to go ahead and make the module? The John Stevenson Genesis is taking quite a significant amount of time, and although only half way done, its looking realy good.

Tony.

Without seeing the exact wording, that sounds good on MacArthur.

John Stevenson has so much material. He told me that if we needed any document in a different format, he could provide that (i..e need a pdf and only html is available, vice versa).

#18 brandym7

brandym7

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

I came on here because I wanted to know how to create a module and not one of these posts says a dang thing about doing what is very likely not so simple a task. Could someone direct me to the appropriate place wherein there are instructions or whatever is needed. Thanks a heap.
IHN, Brandy

#19 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

I came on here because I wanted to know how to create a module and not one of these posts says a dang thing about doing what is very likely not so simple a task. Could someone direct me to the appropriate place wherein there are instructions or whatever is needed. Thanks a heap.
IHN, Brandy

Posts #3 and #4 of this message thread would help you. I wrote the first one about Tooltip, it's documentation, and where to download it. Dr. Dave wrote the second post directing you to his tutorial. Get started there and then post your questions here or PM me. It's on our shortlist of things to do, to write a Step by Step tutorial for Tooltip (the e-Sword module creator). Just not enough time yet. :)

Josh

#20 hendo1986

hendo1986

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hi Josh,

Ive been trying out some of the tools provided on the forum for module construction and their great, but for some reason the Med software isnt working properly. When I open it and hit the asterix(create module) name the file and hit save, it wont go any further. Ive also tried opening a pre existing module with it and get a runtime error. Any suggestions? Its Patchwork kids version of med im using. Some of the stevenson commentaries contain pictures that cant be replicated in any way so as to comply with the topx reader, so they will have to be made as mapx files.

Tony.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: module creation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users