Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

How NOT to "Apply Comments Across Chapter Boundaries in a Singular Reference"?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

I am using ToolTip Tools to generate module, but I don't use its ToolTip function.

In the same time, I don't want ToolTip to automatically "Apply Comments Across Chapter Boundaries in a Singular Reference". But by reading the manual, the only method to disable this automation is to ToolTip those Marked References (not the content). I don't want to do it manually, and even don't want to use that ToolTip function. Is there any other method to shut it down ??

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

I am using ToolTip Tools to generate module, but I don't use its ToolTip function.

In the same time, I don't want ToolTip to automatically "Apply Comments Across Chapter Boundaries in a Singular Reference". But by reading the manual, the only method to disable this automation is to ToolTip those Marked References (not the content). I don't want to do it manually, and even don't want to use that ToolTip function. Is there any other method to shut it down ??

Your best bet to find this out is to IM or email the author of the program, Brent Hildebrand, as I am certain that he would be able to help you there.

Moreover, if that function isn't available in this current version of T4, that if you requested it to be put in, I believe he just may put it in if he thinks that this is a viable option.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 21 February 2016 - 02:42 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Tooltip does not tooltip automatically unless you select Scripture from the main menu followed by Tooltip from the scripture menu. When I generated the sample commentary file from your sample rtf file it contained no tooltips just marks. Another option to avoid having tooltips across chapter boundaries to separate chapter references with semi-colons as shown on page 63 of the tooltip manual 

#4 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

Tooltip does not tooltip automatically unless you select Scripture from the main menu followed by Tooltip from the scripture menu. When I generated the sample commentary file from your sample rtf file it contained no tooltips just marks. Another option to avoid having tooltips across chapter boundaries to separate chapter references with semi-colons as shown on page 63 of the tooltip manual 

Hi Tj,

Thanks for your persistent help.

My problem is not on ToolTip actually. My problem is: How NOT to "Apply Comments Across Chapter Boundaries in a Singular Reference" automatically, so that a Across-Chapter introduction won't be replicated in each chapter. 

One solution from also P.63 is: When I apply ToolTip on the marked reference, then the automatic "Apply Comments Across Chapter Boundaries in a Singular Reference" will be skipped. HOWEVER,  (due to Purpose, time, reliability, better alternate solution, .... ) I don't accept applying ToolTip function on the "content". But applying ToolTop just partially on just the "marked references" seems need my manual works, since ToolTips doesn't offer the batch action on this filtered set. So it will be time consuming when I convert more and more modules. So I would look for a more direct alternate solution but not this solution. Hope I have better clarified my questions.

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

If you do not want to have a comment over multiple chapters, then do not make your marked reference multi-chapter.  

#6 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

Hi Brent,

Your answer imply that there is not such a direct option. This confirmation is valuable to me. Thanks so much.

The marked reference is captured and made in batch mode by Ms Word's Regex. Its function of conditional seek and replace is limited. I will take a trial.

But I also encourage you to add this option into ToolTip, to make it more flexible. :)

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:43 PM

Hopefully T4 works as it is documented to work.  When a document has for example,  "÷Gen 1:1-5:3", what is meant Genesis 1:1-5:3.  What you are wanting is for T4 to not work the way it is designed to work, correct? 

#8 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:38 PM

Hi Brent,

Below part is out of this series of topic, but to answer your question and share my thoughts with you.

I know you may feel ridiculous that I use ToolTip Tools without using its ToolTip function. Actually, I want to use both ToolTip and Fill-In functions, but I give up, because...

1. I tried ToolTip function on one of my English RTF. Many mis-conversions are caused and content is somehow seriously corrupted. (But since I haven't listened other users to report the same problem, I doubt this problem doesn't come from the RTF, but from the Trad. Chinese Windows I use. Will test it later.)

2. Frankly, my ultimate destination is TheWord, not e-Sword. I just want to use ToolTip to categorize and convert the RTF to e-Sword module, and ultimately use TheWord's Auto Verse Detection to build the hyperlink for the references.

3. I have alternative solution to replace Fill-In function, in a more reliable approach. For reference without Book name, I won't simply insert the Book of the last ToolTipped reference. Instead, I will only insert the Book found on the same sentence. If nothing found, I will insert the default Book of that region. The actual mechanism will also be different among Commentary, Books and Dictionary ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users