Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Value Error during creating Commentary

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

During creating a commentary, ToolTip give me a Value Error - Unable to process the following reference: Rom 1:18-4:25. You can see that part of content in the attachment.

Please notice that other earlier marks gives no problem but $Rom 1:18-4:25. Is it because Rom 1:18-4:25 is not the only marked reference in that range? If yes, how to solve it in a balanced way?

Remarks of my Setting:

1.Enabled "Multiple Verse Comments" and Disabled "Drop Reference When Saving", because the Marked reference come from original content, and some are spanned across verse or even chapters.

2.Hasn't applied any ToolTip

Attached File  Error_Content.png   134.37K   20 downloads

Attached Files

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

During creating a commentary, ToolTip give me a Value Error - Unable to process the following reference: Rom 1:18-4:25. You can see that part of content in the attachment.

Please notice that other earlier marks gives no problem but $Rom 1:18-4:25. Is it because Rom 1:18-4:25 is not the only marked reference in that range? If yes, how to solve it in a balanced way?

Remarks of my Setting:

1.Enabled "Multiple Verse Comments" and Disabled "Drop Reference When Saving", because the Marked reference come from original content, and some are spanned across verse or even chapters.

2.Hasn't applied any ToolTip

attachicon.gifError_Content.png

The error is being caused because you have used and placed the marks incorrectly in your commentary. Marks must be the first item in each section of your commentary that references a particular chapter, verse or verses. The marks act like bookmarks in your commentary file so that when a particular chapter or verse is selected in a bible in e-sword, the commentary will display the information corresponding to the selected chapter or verse. Also the marks should be placed along the left edge of your file and they cannot be surrounded with anything such as brackets or parenthesis 

Edited by Tj Higgins, 18 February 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#3 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

Following Tj Higgins' words, as well as changing from "Multiple Verse Comments" to "Drop Reference When Saving", the same problem hasn't occurred, but 2nd problem occur in front of me, a new user of ToolTip. May I keep asking it here:

INDEX ERROR

Unable to process the following reference:

?

I find that it may be related to the Non-English Windows I used. So I change the Mark to "^" in the setting, as well as my rtf. I have fully checked each marks also. However, this error persist, but just change the "?" to "^".

This is a little bit frustrating, since there is not any information like line no. for me to trace & debug. How can I solve it?

N.B. I have manually check all Marks. Also, please remember that I haven't ToolTip any reference so far, and I don't expect to ToolTip to detect any reference in the content for me. It just need to detect the reference with marks.

Edited by patwwh, 19 February 2016 - 05:53 AM.

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

Following Tj Higgins' words, as well as changing from "Multiple Verse Comments" to "Drop Reference When Saving", the same problem hasn't occurred, but 2nd problem occur in front of me, a new user of ToolTip. May I keep asking it here:

INDEX ERROR

?

I find that it may be related to the Non-English Windows I used. So I change the Mark to "^" in the setting, as well as my rtf. I have fully checked each marks also. However, this error persist, but just change the "?" to "^".

This is a little bit frustrating, since there is not any information like line no. for me to trace & debug. How can I solve it?

N.B. I have manually check all Marks. Also, please remember that I haven't ToolTip any reference so far, and I don't expect to ToolTip to detect any reference in the content for me. It just need to detect the reference with marks.

Please post an image of the new error to help make things clear, it is hard to offer answers with actually seeing the part of your rtf file that is causing the issue

#5 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Hi Tj, this is the problem.

The current error is just:

INDEX ERROR

^

Posting the image is the same as posting the above text.

It hasn't indicated which is the problematic part of my rtf, so I cannot post that suitable part originally. But to help your analysis, I have splitted and tested each part of my rtf by parts, and found at least one piece causing the error. Please see attachment. It is a sandwich by 2 Marks enclosing 1 content. If you generate a commentary after removing the content, everything will be alright. The content is the killer, not the Marks!

Attached Files

Edited by patwwh, 19 February 2016 - 08:54 PM.

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

I wrote ToolTip 4 User's Guide that explains all of this. It's under Help > ToolTip NT.pdf

In your RTF file, you have

^Rom 5:1-11

It should be:

÷Rom 5:1-11

#7 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:38 AM

Hi Josh,

I have read your guide before this series of post. Please specify the page if it can solve my problem.

Please follow my above dialogue. My module is English, but my Windows is Non-English, so I found that I need to change the Mark in the Setting (from ÷ to ^), just like what your manual said.

Edited by patwwh, 20 February 2016 - 01:07 AM.

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hi Josh,

I have read your guide before this series of post. Please specify the page if it can solve my problem.

Please follow my above dialogue. My module is English, but my Windows is Non-English, so I found that I need to change the Mark in the Setting (from ÷ to ^), just like what your manual said.

I have been able to create the commentary file by inserting the marks in their proper places as I originally said and as Josh Bond confirmed. Also when I generated the commentary file I left drop reference when saving turned on and multiple verse references option off and the commentary file came out fine.

Attached is my fixed version of the sample rtf file you posted, open it in tooltip and you will see where I inserted the marks next to the references to Romans 5:1-11 and Romans 6:1-23.

Also as a side note you should try and keep the font sizing uniform through out the commentary file for easy readability

Attached File  Problem Sample.rtf   340.3K   3 downloads 

#9 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hi Josh,

Set your language to English when you make the module

#10 patwwh

patwwh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

Hi TJ,

Your attachment is just the same as mime, except that you change back the mark from ^ to ÷. But thanks for confirming me about your successful generation, which push me to doubt the compatibility of ToolTip in my Non-Eng Windows, even though I had already tried all different combinations before, according to Josh's manual, including changing the setting of Mark to ^ (by Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), and removing "?" in Setting of Symbol.

I just completely changed my Windows to Eng (thanks for Windows 10's changeable language design) and Reboot. All ToolTip problems have gone away immediately!! I believe this result will be helpful to other users reading this latter.

So for Eng modules, problems have been solved, even though the above steps are a little bit trouble.

But for Trad. Chinese or other modules in bi-bytes language, I doubt if converting within Eng Windows will cause codeset problem or not (in some programming language it will). I guess it won't due to the nature of RTF, but I am not sure, and need further testing later, or a confirmation from the developer.

Edited by patwwh, 21 February 2016 - 11:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users