Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Printing

3 replies to this topic

#1 Kathy Manning Gronau_39187

Kathy Manning Gronau_39187

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

I feel a little stupid because I think the answer to this question is probably pretty simple  but  I cant figure out how to actually use this program if I am wanting to prepare a lesson for a bible study group or Sunday school.   What are the steps to get the info from the templates, ie study notes, journal notes etc to a printed outline.  Thank you for your help. 

Kathy

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:50 PM

Cut and paste works just fine for the transfer.  Here are a few suggestions I hope you find helpful, a bit of trial and "almost got it that time"  will allow you to get the formatting you want.

With scripture, highlight what you want to transfer to the lesson, right click, and a menu drops down with several options copy gives you just what you highlighted, copy verse gives you several options as to how you can format the verses you highlighted.  The options in the copy verses drop menu are fairly obvious, play with them to get what suits your style best.

If you want to accompany the scripture with the commentary that covers it; in the copy verses window there is (at the bottom) a check box that allows you to select one commentary which will be pasted following the appropriate verse.  Unfortunately, while you can cut and paste a block of lines, the “include commentary” option  only works with the verse by verse options rather the block. And you can only accompany the scripture with one commentary.

As an example:

*************************************************************************************

((Philippians 1:21 NASB)
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

(CalCom)
Php 1:21

21For to me to live: Interpreters have hitherto, in my opinion, given a wrong rendering and exposition to this passage; for they make this distinction, that Christ was life to Paul, and death was gain. I, on the other hand, make Christ the subject of discourse in both clauses, so that he is declared to be gain in him both in life and in death; for it is customary with the Greeks to leave the word to be understood. Besides that this meaning is less forced, it also corresponds better with the foregoing statement, and contains more complete doctrine. He declares that it is indifferent to him, and is all one, whether he lives or dies, because, having Christ, he reckons both to be gainAnd assuredly it is Christ alone that makes us happy both in death and in life; otherwise, if death is miserable, life is in no degree happier; so that it is difficult to determine whether it is more advantageous to live or to die out of Christ On the other hand, let Christ be with us, and he will bless our life as well as our death, so that both will be happy and desirable for us.

(Philippians 1:22 NASB)
But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose.

(CalCom)
Php 1:22

22But if to live in the flesh As persons in despair feel in perplexity as to whether they ought to prolong their life any farther in miseries, or to terminate their troubles by death, so Paul, on the other hand, says that he is, in a spirit of contentment, so well prepared for death or for life, because the condition of believers, both in the one case and in the other, is blessed, so that he is at a loss which to choose. If it is worthwhile; that is, I have reason to believe that there will be greater advantage from my life than from my death, I do not see which of them I ought to prefer.To live in the flesh his an expression which he has made use of in contempt, from comparing it with a better life.

Calvin's commentary set for e-Sword. (it contains 13,458 unique verse records, 34 book records and 0 chapter records). It is based on the work by Christian Classics Ethereal Library of Grand Rapids, MI.  (http://www.ccel.org/) and encoded for e-Sword using some TCL scripts.

*************************************************************************************

You  can, of course do cut and paste to rearrange the positions of the commentary and scripture,to suit your need.  Citation information is available when you click the Bible/Commentary/Dictionary at the top of the e-Sword window and select Information from the drop down menu.  To transfer that information requires the old fashioned Highlight, Control C method of Cut and Paste.

There are macros (if you are using Microsoft Office) that allow to do much of this from Word, those are found on the e-Sword site  (http://www.e-sword.net/extras.html)

If you are using a word processor other than Word try http://www.biblesupp...e-sword-hotkey/

which allows you to use those macros with programs other than Word.

E-Sword HotKey works in conjunction with E-Sword on Microsoft Windows. With E-Sword running, while working in any other program, such as Mozilla Firefox, IE, MS-Word, WordPad, Adobe PDF file, etc, select a section of text that contains a Bible Text Reference, press the Ctrl key and C (Ctrl+C) to copy the selected text to the Windows Clipboard, then press the F11 key, the default hot key, which HotKey is looking for. HotKey then searches for the first Bible Text Reference, formats it some, then brings E-Sword to the front and tells E-Sword to look up the text. That is all that E-Sword HotKey does. Currently it works for English Bible book names and abbreviations only. Currently, no Bible chapter and verse validation is performed by HotKey. If a Reference is invalid, E-Sword will let you know!

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 Kathy Manning Gronau_39187

Kathy Manning Gronau_39187

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

Thank you very much for your help.  I appreciate you ta

king the time to help... and you did.  Kathy

#4 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

I've been building my Bible study lessons for over ten years now.  Plenty of oppertunity for trial and "almost got it that time."

Glad to be able to help.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users