Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

A G'day and a Question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart Graham

Stuart Graham

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:34 AM

Hello all, nice to meet you all.

I'm an on again, off again user of e-Sword who has just returned to it along with other Bible software. I am hoping to make some Greek Bible modules of ancient manuscripts for people to use and study for free. I wanted to do this after finding that on many of the big name commercial programmes these are usually quite expensive even though the text is often available on the web for free. I've made a start on the Vaticanus for no particular reason using the Tooltip software and hope to have at least the Gospels available in the next couple of months.

My question is, I have a problem with the exported text of Matthew showing weird characters in e-Sword after export and I need to get help on why this is happening, which forum is the best place to ask for help? I've browsed through and it's not clear to me where I should ask.

Regards,

Stuart Graham.

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:26 AM

There are a lot of problems with Codex Vaticanus  and similar Unical manuscripts.

1) They are CAPS only with no space between the words(there is a limit in letters without a space in computer programs); the letters of some words are broken in columns  and are without verse-numbering

2) There are correctors, vague words, omitted words and many typos.

Just to show the state of Matthew 1:1-2 (in ALL CAPS Greek)

ΒΙΒΛΟς ΓΕΝΕΣΕΩς ΙΗΣΟΥ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΥ ΥΙΟΥ ΔΑΥΙΔ ΥΙΟΥ ΑΒΡΑΑΜ

ΑΒΡΑΑΜ ΕΓΕΝΝΗΣΕΝ ΤΟΝ ΙΣΑΑΚ ΙΣΑΑΚ ΔΕ ΕΓΕΝΝΗΣΕΝ ΤΟΝ ΙΑΚΩΒ ΙΑΚΩΒ ΔΕ ΕΓΕΝΝΗΣΕΝ ΤΟΝ ΙΟΥΔΑΝ ΚΑΙ ΤΟΥς ΑΔΕΛΦΟΥς ΑΥΤΟΥ

http://digi.vatlib.i...2ac9fba6603f8e7

Edited by Katoog, 16 December 2015 - 05:42 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Stuart Graham

Stuart Graham

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

There are a lot of problems with Codex Vaticanus  and similar Unical manuscripts.

1) They are CAPS only with no space between the words(there is a limit in letters without a space in computer programs); the letters of some words are broken in columns  and are without verse-numbering

2) There are correctors, vague words, omitted words and many typos.

Just to show the state of Matthew 1

http://digi.vatlib.i...2ac9fba6603f8e7

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, that is the case, but I have access to quite a few versions that I can use that have the straight up text and to check it. I can also go back later once I have the complete text of the NT and put in notes where those things are. My problem isn't with the kinds of things you find in the actual manuscripts. It's a problem between Tooltip NT and e-Sword itself. Most of the text reads fine in Tooltip, but when I get it into e-Sword I'm getting one or two verses in each chapter where I have something like this:

Mat 1:24 ἐãåñèåὶò äὲ ὁ ἰùóὴö ἀðὸ ôïῦ ὕðíïõ ἐðïßçóåí ὡò ðñïóÝôáîåí áὐôῶ ὁ ἄããåëïò êõñßïõ êáὶ ðáñÝëáâåí ôὴí ãõíáῖêá áὐôïῦ,

Mat 2:19 ôåëåõôÞóáíôïò äὲ ôïῦ ἡñῴäïõ ἰäïὺ ἄããåëïò êõñßïõ öáßíåôáé êáô᾽ ὄíáñ ôῶ ἰùóὴö ἐí áἰãýðôῳ 

In the editor it looks like it's supposed to, neat modern Greek text rendered in Titus Cyberbit (12 point) as below:

Mat 1:24 ἐγερθεὶς δὲ ὁ ἰωσὴφ ἀπὸ τοῦ ὕπνου ἐποίησεν ὡς προσέταξεν αὐτῶ ὁ ἄγγελος κυρίου καὶ παρέλαβεν τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ

Mat 2:19 τελευτήσαντος δὲ τοῦ ἡρῴδου ἰδοὺ ἄγγελος κυρίου φαίνεται κατ᾽ ὄναρ τῶ ἰωσὴφ ἐν αἰγύπτῳ

It's rather odd, the text in the editor is rendering just fine but in e-Sword it's just nonsense.

Would you know how this is fixed or who I should ask?

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, that is the case, but I have access to quite a few versions that I can use that have the straight up text and to check it. I can also go back later once I have the complete text of the NT and put in notes where those things are. My problem isn't with the kinds of things you find in the actual manuscripts. It's a problem between Tooltip NT and e-Sword itself. Most of the text reads fine in Tooltip, but when I get it into e-Sword I'm getting one or two verses in each chapter where I have something like this:

Mat 1:24 ἐãåñèåὶò äὲ ὁ ἰùóὴö ἀðὸ ôïῦ ὕðíïõ ἐðïßçóåí ὡò ðñïóÝôáîåí áὐôῶ ὁ ἄããåëïò êõñßïõ êáὶ ðáñÝëáâåí ôὴí ãõíáῖêá áὐôïῦ,

Mat 2:19 ôåëåõôÞóáíôïò äὲ ôïῦ ἡñῴäïõ ἰäïὺ ἄããåëïò êõñßïõ öáßíåôáé êáô᾽ ὄíáñ ôῶ ἰùóὴö ἐí áἰãýðôῳ 

In the editor it looks like it's supposed to, neat modern Greek text rendered in Titus Cyberbit (12 point) as below:

Mat 1:24 ἐγερθεὶς δὲ ὁ ἰωσὴφ ἀπὸ τοῦ ὕπνου ἐποίησεν ὡς προσέταξεν αὐτῶ ὁ ἄγγελος κυρίου καὶ παρέλαβεν τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ

Mat 2:19 τελευτήσαντος δὲ τοῦ ἡρῴδου ἰδοὺ ἄγγελος κυρίου φαίνεται κατ᾽ ὄναρ τῶ ἰωσὴφ ἐν αἰγύπτῳ

It's rather odd, the text in the editor is rendering just fine but in e-Sword it's just nonsense.

Would you know how this is fixed or who I should ask?

Have you checked the font settings in e-sword itself you need to make sure that in e-sword the font for Greek is set to Titus Cyberbit Basic

To do this you need to open E-Sword and from the menu across the top select Options to activate the options menu then from the options menu select Fonts to activate the fonts menu. The fonts menu displays a list of fonts for 12 different languages Greek is listed in the upper part of the list, if it is not set to Titus Cyberbit Basic, change it so it is and see if that fixes the problem

#5 Stuart Graham

Stuart Graham

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

Have you checked the font settings in e-sword itself you need to make sure that in e-sword the font for Greek is set to Titus Cyberbit Basic

To do this you need to open E-Sword and from the menu across the top select Options to activate the options menu then from the options menu select Fonts to activate the fonts menu. The fonts menu displays a list of fonts for 12 different languages Greek is listed in the upper part of the list, if it is not set to Titus Cyberbit Basic, change it so it is and see if that fixes the problem

I just checked, it wasn't set to Titus so I changed it to that. Unfortunately, the issue is still there with that font.

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

Be sure to do the Greek Unicode "fixup" in TTTNT.  See the menu:  Tools+Greek Unicode Fixup (fcharset161)

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:07 PM

I totally forgot about the Greek Unicode "fixup" in Tooltip

#8 Stuart Graham

Stuart Graham

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

Be sure to do the Greek Unicode "fixup" in TTTNT.  See the menu:  Tools+Greek Unicode Fixup (fcharset161)

Thanks for the reply. I'm way ahead of you there :D I ran that before I first loaded the module in e-Sword, since it was my first module I was reading the user's guide as I worked to make sure I was doing it right. I thought at first it was just the verses that had no punctuation (e.g. the Greek ? or English full stop) until I found that a couple of the broken verses did have it. Most also had a space at the end of the line, but not all did. I cannot really find anything that distinguishes those particular verses from the ones that work. I've just done some testing and found that it seems to be a positional thing. I can't understand why it is doing it, if I type the verse of Matt 6:11 at the end of verse 10 it works fine and if I copy it from 11 to the end of 12 it shows up properly there. The text itself obviously has no problems. I tried deleting verse 11 and replacing it with a new version and it just did the same thing again. So it looks like this:

Mat 6:10 ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου, γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου, ὡς ἐν οὐρανῶ καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς. DD τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν επιούσιον δὸς ὑμῖν σήμερον· 
Mat 6:11 ôὸí ἄñôïí ἡìῶí ôὸí ἐðéïýóéïí äὸò ἡìῖí óÞìåñïí· 
Mat 6:12 καὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὰ ὀφειλήματα ἡμῶν, ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς ἀφήκαμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν· DD τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον·

The text of verse 11 is after the "DD" on the verse before and after. Verse 10 is typed fresh and was used to replace verse 11 and below on verse 12 is the copy/pasted original text from 11. I hope that makes sense. The odd thing is that it's not a problem with the particular verse so not all verse 11s are a problem. I originally copied this from a web page and then pasted it into notepad and then into Word to format it. I've tried putting the text into Notepad again but that has made no difference.

I'm stumped at this point.

#9 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

In TTTNT, did the text look right?  Did you run the Greek fixup right before you created the module as the last thing you did before making the module?

#10 Stuart Graham

Stuart Graham

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

In TTTNT, did the text look right?  Did you run the Greek fixup right before you created the module as the last thing you did before making the module?

Yes, it looks perfectly correct in TTTNT, it's only when it gets into e-Sword that it is messed up. I am pretty sure I ran the fixup tool, but I tried it again and the text doesn't change. I've loaded the RTF file into other word processors like Word and it looks perfectly normal there too. It seems the problem is with the text itself and/or possibly e-Sword.

I'm not sure if it means anything but I am running this on  Windows 10 with an AMD A10 CPU and an AMD graphics card. I wasn't able to load e-Sword until I changed it to run in Win 8.1 compatibility mode. I have the latest drivers for everything including the graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users