Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Convert e-Sword Bible to The Word - advice sought

5 replies to this topic

#1 Bluey- Biker for Christ

Bluey- Biker for Christ

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

I have bought several "Premium" Bible modules and wanted to convert them for use in The Word.
I found a message on here somewhere which mentioned "Simple Bible Reader" (v 2.9) which I downloaded.
I loaded one of my premium e-Sword bibles (Amplified - amp.bblx) into it and it displayed the text. (I wasn't sure if it would or not because I thought the password protection code might stop it, but it did!).
Then I tried to "Export" from Simple Bible Reader into an ont formal file (amp.ont then later, an amp.ontx) file.
It seemed to go through the process ok and finished without displaying any errors.
The problem is, that the ont (or ontx) files are nowhere to be found!
They are not in the folder where I exported them to. Or anywhere else on the system.
The weird thing is that Simple Bible Reader shows the ont file as being in the folder but it isn't there.
Anyone have any advice on how I can get my premium modules converted, so I can also use them in The Word?
Thanks in advance,
Bluey.

#2 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

theWORD bible files are nothing more than regular ascii text files, one line per verse and only one line per verse.

All you need to do is open your bible in e-Sword.

Export each range of verses (you should be able to do an entire book at one time) to a text editor.

Edit out the Book-Chapter-verse info, it will not be needed.

If the Bible is both OT and NT give the file an extension of .ont

Copy the file to the correct directory.

Your done!

P.S. There are from Gen 1:1 to Rev 22:21 EXACTLY 31102 lines, one for each verse.

Gen 1:1 is line 1 and Rev 22:21 is line 31102.

Edited by Roy, 11 December 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#3 Bluey- Biker for Christ

Bluey- Biker for Christ

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:47 AM

Very good!
Thanks Roy.
A couple more quick questions...
So, I don't put any identifiers at the beginning of each line/verse (Gen 1:1)?
And no blank lines or identifiers to separate chapters or books?
Thanks again!
Bluey
-----
I've just done some digging since I posted the above... and I think I've got it now.
The Word already expects the right number of lines per chapter and per book and behaves accordingly.
Therefore any deviation from the correct number of lines will cause a cascading chain of errors.
Which also would mean that I can't make partial modules, ie, Song of Solomon, on it's own. It's a whole Testament thing. All the Old, or all of the New, or both, but no individual books...

Edited by Bluey- Biker for Christ, 12 December 2015 - 02:59 AM.

#4 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

No, you don't.

Try opening a public domain module for theWORD like kjv.ont (for the king James Bible) in notepad and see what it looks like.

You can go here (link) to the "theWORD.net" web page, about half way down the page, to find a link to documentation on how to create modules for theWORD.

The document there on Bibles will tell you how to mark up the file to do footnotes, etc.

Hope this helps.

Roy

P.S. Doing it this way helps to keep you legal (not violate the DMCA), because you will not have broken the file encryption.

P.P.S. I am NOT a Lawyer!!!

Edited by Roy, 12 December 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#5 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

The Word already expects the right number of lines per chapter and per book and behaves accordingly.
Therefore any deviation from the correct number of lines will cause a cascading chain of errors.
Which also would mean that I can't make partial modules, ie, Song of Solomon, on it's own. It's a whole Testament thing. All the Old, or all of the New, or both, but no individual books...

I've just done some digging since I posted the above... and I think I've got it now.

And I just read the rest of your post (missed the ending portion the first time... :blink: ).

Well, you can do indivifdual books, BUT...

You would have to make it (as you have already stated) OT or NT only, AND leave a whole bunch of blank lines in the file. Kind-a makes it messy.

You can do so if you use an editor which shows line numbers.

You can also find moudles on theWORD's site (or maybe www.wordmodules.com, a sister site to this one), that will help you find what line number goes with which verse.

You will find a lot more help there on module making for theWORD than you would here.

You could also simply make it as a Book module (like making a Topic module) or even a Commentary module if that worked better.

Roy

Edited by Roy, 12 December 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#6 Bluey- Biker for Christ

Bluey- Biker for Christ

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:59 AM

Excellent!
Thanks heaps Roy!
That's got me underway.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic