Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Thompson Chain not showing up in E-Sword after installation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lillian1961

Lillian1961

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

Hello, I downloaded the Thompson Chain references for E-Sword from this site and installed them. However, E-Sword doesn't seem to know they are there - I cannot find them anywhere! Help!

I am running Windows Vista if that helps.

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thompson Chain references is by the dictionaries under the name TCR.

Click on the D icon to see only the dictionaries.

If you not see it click on Options\resources and select all dictionaries.

If TCR isn't there then have you no installed it or did you use the e-sword 8 version instead for the 9/10 version or the MySword version?

http://www.biblesupp...nce-tcrdctxexe/

Edited by Katoog, 06 November 2015 - 09:59 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 RobRatt

RobRatt

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

I had the same problem this evening. I don't believe you've made a mistake.

Since this module is an EXE setup file, which places the dictionary file in the wrong spot, you'll simply have to copy and paste it.

On my computer, a Windows 7 laptop, all of my e-sword modules are located in a directory (folder) similar to this:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword

When the installation was complete for this module, there was an extra e-Sword folder, where you will find the file. Using this example (above), the dictionary file was located at "C:\Users.....\e-Sword\e-Sword" which of course the program will not recognize. You'll have to copy and paste the file from the second "e-sword" folder into the first. Restart e-Sword, and it'll pick up your new book.

Now of course, not everyone will have their module files in a directory like mine. It may be much simpler on your PC.  Look for something like:

C:\Program Files\e-Sword

This installation accidentally puts the file in "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword." Again, just copy and paste into the upper level folder, and restart the program.

Regards,

Robert

P.S.  I sure hope this explanation wasn't too confusing. :-)

Edited by RobRatt, 08 November 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

I just tested both downloading and installing this resource, and found no problems with it.

My OS details: Windows 10 64bit Home edition:

Web Browser: Google Chrome

Customized Default Download path: E:\Downloads (secondary HDD)

Default Installer's installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword

Test Results:

Web browser downloaded resource to the customized default stated path.

Installer installed resource to its stated path without adding in a new folder.

If this is what you are doing as seen in the test above, not counting my own particular setting, but using your web browser's default settings, and using the installer's default installation path, then in reality you should get what it says. As to why this is not happening is anyone's guess, and I can speculate over what could possibly cause the error you are experiencing. About two things which I can actually think what the cause is, are:

1. An installer bug. But I have doubts about that due to the fact that this error isn't being replicated on other's system
  2. Something you are unconsciously doing which causes the error.

So, with that, I think you may need to pause in what you do, take notes of what you do in each step of the process of downloading and installing the resource. Then you may find what you are doing that causes the error.

I trust this really does help you to fix the issues in your downloading and installing of resources.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 RobRatt

RobRatt

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Thank you. I appreciate you testing this, but feel that I should clarify why the problem happens. And while I don't consider it a "bug," I do feel the error lies in the Setup file. I'm new enough to this site, that I'm not sure if all EXE files share this feature. I'll definitely be more careful in the future.

I've installed and uninstalled it three times just to see for myself. The problem happens whenever you choose a directory outside the Default, assuming yours is that default, [ C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword ]

When I originally installed e-Sword, I put it in my "Bible Study" folder, along with other Bible software that I own. So my "default" directory looks more like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bible Study\e-sword

NOTE: This directory path (above) is also what shows in e-Sword's options as my Resource Location.

But the only modules in this folder are the ones installed during e-Sword's initial setup. You see, I have purchased and own every resource that Rick has made available -- all of the paid and free modules.

I didn't choose the directory where all my modules are installed. For every paid and free one that I have downloaded, e-Sword automatically placed them in the following folder:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bible Study\e-Sword

This is where I'd like to keep any new modules.

Now, when you run the Setup file for TCR Dictionary, it looks for this directory >> [ C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword ]. But, for me, that doesn't work, especially since e-Sword knows it should be >> [ ...\Bible Study\e-Sword ].

If you Browse directly to a different folder, it's easy to miss when the Setup file adds an extra "e-Sword" folder. In fact, because all of my modules are in a very long path, I couldn't even see it the first time, because the window is too small for this address, and truncates the end of it.

If I choose to Browse to either location, it DOES add an "extra" e-Sword folder [ ...\e-Sword\e-Sword ], where it places the *.dctx file, along with two "uninstall" files.

Now, as I mentioned, I'm new here. Maybe this is the way all the EXE files operate. AND I can be more careful. But actually, my main concern with these Setup files is the Uninstall routines (the two files). It seems to me that the next installed module will overwrite it, which will be problematic if someone tries to uninstall with Window's Control Panel. As for me, I'll be manually installing files whenever possible.

Thanks for your time. Hope this makes it a little clearer.

P.S. The type of browser, and download location, have nothing to do with running the Setup file (or uninstalling), which is why I didn't elaborate on it.

Edited by RobRatt, 08 November 2015 - 06:45 PM.

#6 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

Try this,

Instead of 'Browsing" to the folder location, simply backup over the 'e-sword" portion of the target folder and type in 'Bible Study".

As you have already discovered, the installer will add the "\e-sword" portion back on to the file path and give you "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bible Study\e-Sword".

Do not worry about the long path that includes VirualStore as part of its name.

VirtualStore is simply a place where MS Windows puts files that an application (the installer) tries to copy into a location where it does not have permissions to do so.

Files in VirtualStore appear to the intended app (e-Sword in this case) as being located in the place it (e-sword) expects them to be (your custom path set up in e-Sword Options/Settings).

So simply add the "Bible Study" portion to your path, giving the installer the short version which would be "C:\Program Files( x86)\Bible Study\e-Sword".

This might help and simplify things for you.

Roy

P.S. Once you complete the install to the correct place, the next installer (for a different module) you run "should" remember the correct path for you and already be in that box.

Edited by Roy, 08 November 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#7 Lillian1961

Lillian1961

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:46 AM

Thanks you folks! Katoog is right - I found it under Dictionaries. I guess I just didn't expect it to be there under Dictionaries.

#8 RobRatt

RobRatt

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

Roy,

THANK YOU. ...I really appreciate you taking the time.  Hope to return the favor one day.

Warm Regards,

Robert

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

Hi Roy,

VirtualStore is simply a place where MS Windows puts files that an application (the installer) tries to copy into a location where it does not have permissions to do so.

This is something I don't have in my Windows 10 Home Edition, and I think that this is something that only exists with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 Professional editions. The reason I know I don't have a VirtualStore folder is because I checked it out to see if I did, but nothing there.

I think that when it comes to issues like this, I think it might be an idea of those who use Windows Pro, should  state it so that it saves the guess work.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 11 November 2015 - 04:39 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hi Roy,

This is something I don't have in my Windows 10 Home Edition, and I think that this is something that only exists with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 Professional editions. The reason I know I don't have a VirtualStore folder is because I checked it out to see if I did, but nothing there.

I think that when it comes to issues like this, I think it might be an idea of those who use Windows Pro, should  state it so that it saves the guess work.

Blessings,

The concept is still there for W10. The concept is well described for you here http://www.symantec....s-windows-vista

enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users