Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

New User Needs Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kzerosd@gmail.com

kzerosd@gmail.com

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:15 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to this site.  Been using MySword for many years, but recently upgraded my Android phone to a new Aquos with Android 4.4.2.  That introduced some interesting problems, since I'd been running everything off the microSD card, can't be done on Android 4 and up, only Read Only Data files can be run from the MicroSD card now, Android now blocks any file write or file modifies on the phone, have to use the PC card reader to do that..

I came across this site a couple days ago.  Went to the MySword area, and downloaded a number of Commentaries and Books, a few Bibles and Dictionaries.   Plugged the microSD card into the PC, and loaded them to the correct directories.  Files like anf.cmt.mybible, Exp_Gr_NT.cmt.mybible, scofield.cmt.mybible went into the Commentary folder.  Files like Expositor's Bible Vol 01 Genesis by Rev.bok.mybible (all 40 of them), and others went into the Book folder.  

Problem is, none of the new files are viewable or useable in MyBible.  I start MyBible, click on Commentaries then the down arrow, only the old commentaries are listed as available, none of the new stuff shows up.  I can go to an Android file viewer, look in the Commentary folder, see both the new files that aren't displayed, and the old files I've used for years.  I've done everything, including restarting the phone several times. No progress.  

Asking Help, what am I missing?

Thank you.

Stephen Budensiek

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:01 AM

Can you use direct USB connection from PC to Android with the wire that also is used for electricity and to fill the batteries?

And browse to the MySword area?

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:24 AM

Stephen Budensiek

Hi

That behavior tells me to look at the modules path settings ?

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#4 kzerosd@gmail.com

kzerosd@gmail.com

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hello all,

I forgot to mention that I am running the latest MySword ver 6.5 software, which allows a split module path. The storage for mydata files,journals, and notes which change with each useage of MyBible are in the internal memory, the downloadable bibles, books, commentaries, dictionaries, fonts, and languages are on the external microSD card.  The old and new Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries, Fonts, and Languages files are all grouped under the MySword folder on the external microSD card, with subfolders for Bibles, Commentaries, Books, Dictionaries, Languages, etc, both those working and the new files not working are mixed under their own same classification sub-folders.  My phone has an internal 4GB of memory only, the microSD card is 32GB, soon to be upgraded to 64GB.  Everything else on the external microSD card works correctly.  Everything worked ok on MySword until I tried adding these new MySword files.  The old .mysword files work OK, the new ones don't.  My old Android phone had no problems like this.  Guess I could try loading these files to the old phone, see what happened.

Earlier versions of MySword did not allow the split module path.  It was not necessary since Android 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x let everthing be loaded on the external SD card, and be run from that location, unlike current versions of Android.   I'm wondering if that is playing into the problem?  If MyBible needs to write anything to the new files to certify them or acknowledge them, the Android 4.x, 5.x, or 6.x systems blocks it.  I always see the Android error message on other stuff, I'm wondering if that is being suppressed by MySword?  No, I can't use a USB cable from the PC to the phone, and write to the external microSD card, Android blocks that.  I have to plug the microSD card into the PC to change, add, or modify anything on the microSD card.

Stephen Budensiek

#5 kzerosd@gmail.com

kzerosd@gmail.com

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

Hello all,

OK, I have some answers, but still more questions.

If I go back to my old Android 2.3.3 phone, running MyBible 3.4 from 2012, the downloads in the correct directories work OK.

My questions are, is this because the new phone is Android4.2.2 with it's changes, or MySword 6.5 new 2015, or a combination of the two.

If you're not fairly deep into technology, at an engineering level in hardware and software, I doubt you will have an answer.  When I started the old phone after loading these files onto it's external microSD card (all files there under one directory), it took about 2 minutes of blank screen before MyBible came up.  MyBible was doing some kind of registration or setup to acknowledge the new files, then they all appeared under the correct group's pull-down list and worked correctly.   The new phone did the same blank screen for 2 minutes, then the new programs did not show under their headings, so are useless.  This tells me that something failed in the setup/registration process on the new Android 4.4.2  phone.   MySword may have a bug in the new version (in the split file directory setup possibly), or the new files are registered on the mircoSD card that Android won't let the information be updated and error codes are suppressed in MyBible, or who knows what.   I'll have to try several things, see if any of them work.  Back to the drawing board.

#6 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

Can't answer your question but yYou might get quicker response by emailing mysword.info the makers of the program.

#7 kzerosd@gmail.com

kzerosd@gmail.com

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hello All,

Yes, I sent a help message to MySword.   Got a reply fairly quick, just a few hours.

Issues go back to Android 4.4.x KitKat and MySword 6.5, which was done to deal with the limited access to the externalSD card problem.   When you install your old MySword to a new Android 4.4.x device, it automatically goes out and updates MySword to ver 6.5.   Once it's installed, you can go to setup, and do a split path for the daily updated modues like mydata, etc on the main memory card (takes very little space), and the Bibles, Commentaries, Books, etc to the externalSD card.  In the setup, MySword 6.5 will move all your old directory items such as Bibles, Commentaries, Books, etc, to a new directory on the ExternalSD card which is path <ExternalSDcard>/Android/Data/com.riversoft.android.mysword/<files> ie Bible, Commentaries, Books, etc.  I moved the new files I had downloaded and wouldn't run on the new phone   from my old MySword directory in my PC card reader in each category, for example Bible, to the new path file of Bible, repeated for each folder type, plugged the ExternalSD card back in the Android phone, restarted it, then started MySword.   Had a blank screen for maybe 2 or 3 minutes while MySword was registering (or whatever they do).  When normal MySword screen came up, could click on the wanted category, Say, Commentaries, click the down button, and there all the new Commentaries were listed, and worked correctly.  MySword indicated this new 6.5 version was made to deal with the Google Android KitKat 4.4.x lockout, and it works real well with everything I have tried.  If I understand things correctly from MySword, placing things in the externalSD/Android/Data/ path gives the option to write and modify files when needed in the phone, the card does not need to be placed in a PC card reader external to Android to do this.  Hope this helps someone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users