Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

KJV Margin Notes as a Bible?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

HI All,

Ok, I have a question for those of you who regularly create modules.

I had it pointed out to me that the margin note for Revelation 20:13 correctly stated that there was a typo in the 1611 Bible.

I was then directed to a scan which clearly showed that the word should be "Grave". However, I also have a PDF copy of a 1611 Edition which shows the margin note as it is in the Notes module ("Hell").

B.T.W. I did not add the [notes] about there being a typo, it was already in the commentary module that way.

So, two sources for a 1611 Bible, and both differ on that note. Should I correct the module to display the "Correct" word "Grave" or leave it alone??

I have already deviated from the original text by correcting the verse references (Yes the references are incorrect in the original). Should I do so again for the word grave?

At what point do you not edit the original, even though the original is obviously incorrect?

Guidance would be appreciated.

Attached File  Rev 20.13 KJV 1611 Compare.jpg   155.41K   29 downloads

Thanks,

Roy

Thank you by the way BH! :)

Edited by Roy, 20 October 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#12 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:29 AM

This is not the same version of the King James 1611.

Look to the spelling of the word "workes" Vs "works"

And the font type. The Original is Gothic and the later versions are in Roman font.

The problem is that there are only two valid reproductions of the 1611

http://www.greatsite...james-1611.html

http://www2.le.ac.uk...y-edition/fonts

The Original 1611 has "Or, Grave" in the notes and is correct (Hell or Grave are a translation of Hades )

And even then are there minimum two editions in 1611

The "she Bible" and the "he Bible"

The she Bible is rare and has "she" as the KJV 1769

(The letters U and J are not used in the Original 1611 but replaced by V and I )

Rth 3:15  Also he said, Bring the vaile that thou hast vpon thee, and holde it. And when she helde it, he measured sixe measures of barley, and laide it on her: and he went into the citie.(He Bible)

Rth 3:15  Also he said, Bring the vaile that thou hast vpon thee, and holde it. And when she helde it, he measured sixe measures of barley, and laide it on her: and she went into the citie.(She Bible)

Edited by Katoog, 21 October 2015 - 01:32 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#13 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:00 AM

Just as an observation; notice in the bottom picture that the typesetter has made a classic mistake of putting the "u" upside-down, so "deliuered" reads "delinered". This then leads me to conclude they were not good at their job or tired and so made another mistake of putting "hell" in the margin note. I notice that the note "Or, hell" is also present in the AV-1611 module for Bible Analyzer.

Jon

#14 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:13 AM

*Taking the links from JPG*

http://www.bibles-online.net/1611/

It is in flash and you can move the pages with the mouse.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#15 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

Hi Roy

My two cents 

change it! Don't change it! but whatever you do make a note of it so people using the module can see there is a question with the word

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#16 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

My personal opinion is to correct any mistakes in the module to make it useful to the user.

#17 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

My personal opinion is to correct any mistakes in the module to make it useful to the user.

Hi Brad,

That's not an opinion bro, that's good advice.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#18 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

Roy, there are a many (hundreds) fixes needed to the module because there are multiple notes on some verses for example Gen 1:20 has three, but of course e-S only displays the first one.

Jon

#19 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:24 PM

JPG,

Thank You! for the heads up. I should have done my due diligence and checked my output much more closely (missing multiple verse notes should NOT have been overlooked!).

I'll pull the file and start working on the fix!

Brad,

I'll also make any corrections that I am aware of.  I will put a list of changed items in the "About" description, assuming the list isn't too long :)

Thank you every one.

Roy

#20 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:32 AM

Roy, I have noticed that there are some tooltips missing. Would you agree that the last two are Isaiah

2Sa_24:1 he:
Satan. See 1 Chronciles 21.1

1Ki_8:8 Holy place:
Or, Ark, as 2 Chronciles 5.9

1Ch_2:52 Haroeh:
Or, Reaiah, 1 Chronciles 4.2

1Ch_3:10 Abia:
Or, Abiam, 1 king 15.1

1Ch_3:17 Jeconiah:
Or, Coniah, Jer. 22.24

Isa_63:11 shepherd:
Or, shepherds, as Psalm 77.20

Jer_25:23 that are in the utmost corners:
Heb. cut off into corners, or having the corners of the hair polled, Jeremiah 9.26

Luk_1:78 day spring:
Or, sun rising, or branch, Zec_3:8 esay 11.1 Mal_4:2. Num_24:17

Act_13:34 mercies:
Gr. [Greek characters] holy or just things, which word the Sept. both in the place of Esai 55.3. and in many others, use for that which is in the Hebrew, Mercies

Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users