Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

KJV Margin Notes as a Bible?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:55 PM

Hi All.

I was thinking recently (dangerous for me, I know!) and had an idea.

I wanted to do a proof of concept before tackling the larger project so here is my test project.

I took the KJV Margin Notes Commentary and converted it to a Bible module. Why?

I want to see the scripture with comments displayed directly next to the verse text just as you would see it in a printed Bible.

The Margin Notes made a good choice for me as a test file since it is a Commentary and already in B.C.V. format. It is also somewhat small, so there was not a lot of text to edit.

How I would get the text directly next to the Bible verse is using the Parallel Bible mode and choosing the KJV *and* The Margin Notes Bible as my Bibles.

So, why not just use the Commentary as is?

First, I want the text *Next To* the verse, and I would like to see more than one note at a time (if they exist).

Second, I also did not want the Commentary window "taken up" by the margin notes but free to display a different commentary. This will do just exactly that (see pic # 2).

You could do this with *any* resource that is (or can be put into) a B.C.V. format, lets say maybe C.I. Scofields Notes??

So what is my real target to make into a Bible module like this? I want to see a Thompson Chain Reference Bible with "REAL" margin notes next to the associated verse.

I know this would be a long, drawn out project, but I just might take it on. (I had started a project like this for theWORD but dropped it.)

I am putting the Bible module here with this post. Please take a look and let me know what you think. If it seems good enough I can make a regular DownLoads posting of it a little later.

Thanks!

Roy

Attached File  KJV_Margin_Notes.jpg   151.19K   45 downloadsAttached File  KJV_Margin_Notes 2.jpg   208.95K   45 downloads Original file removed (no longer needed).

Edited by Roy, 24 October 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#2 dartmaster644

dartmaster644

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

Roy....

I really like the way it looks.....I believe you've got an excellent idea there !! Seems like it'll be VERY functional !

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

Hi All.

I was thinking recently (dangerous for me, I know!) and had an idea.

I wanted to do a proof of concept before tackling the larger project so here is my test project.

I took the KJV Margin Notes Commentary and converted it to a Bible module. Why?

I want to see the scripture with comments displayed directly next to the verse text just as you would see it in a printed Bible.

The Margin Notes made a good choice for me as a test file since it is a Commentary and already in B.C.V. format. It is also somewhat small, so there was not a lot of text to edit.

How I would get the text directly next to the Bible verse is using the Parallel Bible mode and choosing the KJV *and* The Margin Notes Bible as my Bibles.

So, why not just use the Commentary as is?

First, I want the text *Next To* the verse, and I would like to see more than one note at a time (if they exist).

Second, I also did not want the Commentary window "taken up" by the margin notes but free to display a different commentary. This will do just exactly that (see pic # 2).

You could do this with *any* resource that is (or can be put into) a B.C.V. format, lets say maybe C.I. Scofields Notes??

So what is my real target to make into a Bible module like this? I want to see a Thompson Chain Reference Bible with "REAL" margin notes next to the associated verse.

I know this would be a long, drawn out project, but I just might take it on. (I had started a project like this for theWORD but dropped it.)

I am putting the Bible module here with this post. Please take a look and let me know what you think. If it seems good enough I can make a regular DownLoads posting of it a little later.

Thanks!

Roy

attachicon.gifKJV_Margin_Notes.jpgattachicon.gifKJV_Margin_Notes 2.jpgattachicon.gifKJV-Margin.zip

Hi Roy,

Well, the best part of it is you've taken e-Sword to another mountain (or level if you prefer) by using the Parallel function of the program, and of which, in reality, this is not what that function has been actually developed for.

This reminds me of something that Rick Meyers said regarding the Topic Note Editor in respect to using it for books. The Topic Note Editor was actually never designed for that capability, yet it came about by users making that capability available. So, in many respects we're seeing "changes" taking place of where different data can be used as a bblx file.

OK, now for the problematic part of your concept. As good as your idea is, the issue is that it has to be loaded into the Bible Tabs in order for it to be read in the Parallel Bible view (Window). If the Tab for that resource is unchecked in the Bible ChecklistBox in the Resource Options dialog, then that resource will not show in the Parallel Bible view. The reason for mentioning this, is that to have a non Bible bblx resource showing in the Bible Tabs can be somewhat intrusive or confusing to some. I think this would be about the only down part of you idea.

Having said that, I think your idea has a great deal of merit, and if possible, can theoretically be further expanded.

I've had a similar idea, but not having two separate files, but to have a column running down the right edge of the Bible text and then placing in cross references and notes in that column. As to how well that will work, I don't know.

I know that having "footnotes" below the last verse of a chapter does work, as this is what I have been experimenting with using SQLite Manager. The way I did this was have the font for the footnotes set at 20 half pts (which is 10 points), and in the Bible text, to where there reference to a note, in superscript, I placed a number. And in the footnote I placed a numbered list for each of the notes. The only thing about this experiment that I didn't like was it made the footnotes look really bulky at the bottom, and it looked ugly.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

hi APsit190,

or you can try putting the footnotes at the end of the verse with a soft break. Example: look at verse 5 

Gen 1:4 יהוה Elohim saw the light, that it was good; and יהוה Elohim separated the light from the darkness. 
Gen 1:5 יהוה Elohim called the light 'day,' and the darkness He called 'night.' And there was evening and there was morning, one(a) day.
a-5 While the rest of chapter 1 uses ordinal numbers (eg. second, third, fourth, etc.) verse 5 actually uses the Hebrew word אחד (ech 'ad), which is the cardinal number one. This is different from the ordinal number meaning "first" which is represented by the Hebrew wordראשון (rish'on). Thus it literally reads, "one day" and not "the first day." 
Gen 1:6 Then יהוה Elohim said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters." 

Change the footnote to a different color.

Thanks

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#5 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:55 PM

The best option popup notes is unfortunately not available to 3rd party creators at this time I still hope that Rick will release this feature to the puplic

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:08 PM

The best option popup notes is unfortunately not available to 3rd party creators at this time I still hope that Rick will release this feature to the puplic

DSaw,

Now there you have hit the proverbial nail on the head, and one I think that would take off really well. I just hope Ricky baby in e-Swordland reads these wonderful suggestions, and makes note of them.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Knight.gif This is what I look like all knighted up.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

hi APsit190,

or you can try putting the footnotes at the end of the verse with a soft break. Example: look at verse 5 

Gen 1:4 יהוה Elohim saw the light, that it was good; and יהוה Elohim separated the light from the darkness. 
Gen 1:5 יהוה Elohim called the light 'day,' and the darkness He called 'night.' And there was evening and there was morning, one(a) day.
a-5 While the rest of chapter 1 uses ordinal numbers (eg. second, third, fourth, etc.) verse 5 actually uses the Hebrew word אחד (ech 'ad), which is the cardinal number one. This is different from the ordinal number meaning "first" which is represented by the Hebrew wordראשון (rish'on). Thus it literally reads, "one day" and not "the first day." 
Gen 1:6 Then יהוה Elohim said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters." 

Change the footnote to a different color.

Thanks

Hi Niobi,

Yeah, I thought of that as well, but I hate inline, end of sentence/paragraph notes because they break the reading flow of the main text. And this has been a major bane of contention for me when it comes to the LEB Bible with notes, and the recent NICNT. They really are bad in that way, and I seriously hate it.

Sorry about that, mate, but they make both reading and study a real pain in the neck.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Zorro.gif

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:36 AM

I want the download as soon as it's ready!

#9 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

Hi Earl,

The Margin Notes module is actually ready now, unless that is, someone finds a bunch of errors that need correcting B).

I just have not "Officially" put it in the Downloads area as of yet. All you would need to do is click on the "KJV-Margin.zip" link in my original post.

None the less, I will endeavor to do so today. Thank you for your interest.

Roy

Edit (1):

Ok, it is now posted in the Downloads area for Bibles here.

I still need to make a small edit to the description as I had found three of the margin notes mentioned non-existent verses and I corrected them. I want to post/mention those edits/changes from the original commentary module.

Roy

Edit (2):

Those edits were as fillows:

------------------------------------------------------------
1 Ch 3:17

Jeconiah:
Or, Coniah, Jer. 22.34 (Should read Jer. 22.24)
Isa 63:11

shepherd:
Or, shepherds, as Psalm 77.21 (Should read Psalm 77.20)
Jer 25:23

that are in the utmost corners:
Heb. cut off into corners, or having the corners of the
 hair polled, Jeremiah 9.28 (Should read Jeremiah 9.26)

In each case the originally mentioned verses simply do not exist (Just typos I would guess).

Roy

Edited by Roy, 20 October 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:14 PM

Well done Roy!  I like it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users