Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bookmarks in Tooltip

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:23 PM

Great day everybody,

Does anybody know why bookmarks would suddenly stop working when switching computers?  I have the same exact configuration on two different laptops.  The .dctx file works perfectly in E-Sword on BOTH computers, but when rendering the file in Tooltip 2.13, it only works on my original laptop.  If I take the RTF file to my new laptop and render it into the Dictionary (.dctx) file, and install into E-Sword, the bookmarks don't work at all.

Literally, all I've done is move to a new computer, but the OS is the same, version of E-Sword and Tooltip is identical on both computers.  Why can I no longer use / create bookmarks on the newer laptop, when I could do so just fine on my last laptop?

(Also, I tried reverting to an even older version of Tooltip (1.13) on the new laptop, and there is an option in Tooltip 1.13 to insert HYPERLINKS, but not BOOKMARKS.  Why is that?  Can I not create bookmarks in Tooltip 1.13?

Thanks so much,

Thomas

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

Great day everybody,

Does anybody know why bookmarks would suddenly stop working when switching computers?  I have the same exact configuration on two different laptops.  The .dctx file works perfectly in E-Sword on BOTH computers, but when rendering the file in Tooltip 2.13, it only works on my original laptop.  If I take the RTF file to my new laptop and render it into the Dictionary (.dctx) file, and install into E-Sword, the bookmarks don't work at all.

Literally, all I've done is move to a new computer, but the OS is the same, version of E-Sword and Tooltip is identical on both computers.  Why can I no longer use / create bookmarks on the newer laptop, when I could do so just fine on my last laptop?

(Also, I tried reverting to an even older version of Tooltip (1.13) on the new laptop, and there is an option in Tooltip 1.13 to insert HYPERLINKS, but not BOOKMARKS.  Why is that?  Can I not create bookmarks in Tooltip 1.13?

Thanks so much,

Thomas

Did you import the file into e-sword or just copy it from one computer to another?

As for tooltip I would suggest downloading the latest version

#3 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

Dear TJ,

I don't know what you mean by "importing."  I've always just copied and pasted files into the e-Sword program folder, and they work fine.  I don't think there is any such thing as "importing" in E-Sword.

I can better explain the problem as follows: I have two identical setups here:

OLD COMPUTER

e-Sword 10.1

Tooltip 2.13

Windows 7 64-bit

NEW COMPUTER

e-Sword 10.1

Tooltip 2.13

Windows 7 64-bit

Now, generally speaking, everything works identically the same between the old computer and new computer.  I can create Bible, Commentary, and Dictionary modules on either computer; I can transfer them between computers and they all work fine... EXCEPT for the bookmarks...

In Tooltip 2.13, if I insert bookmarks / hyperlinks on the OLD COMPUTER and render the file as a .dctx (Dictionary), the bookmarks work perfectly on both the old computer and the new computer.  I just transfer the .dctx file from the old computer to the new computer, and the bookmarks work perfectly on either computer.  But...

If I insert bookmarks / hyperlinks on the NEW COMPUTER and render the .dctx (Dictionary) file, the bookmarks don't work on either computer.  Everything else works, the file, the Scripture tooltip verses; but the bookmarks / hyperlinks are duds.  The cursor doesn't recognize that they exist.  All that is left is the blue text.

In short, I can create and save the Dictionary file as an RTF on the new computer and then transfer that RTF file to my old computer and create the .dctx file on the OLD COMPUTER, and then the bookmarks will work perfectly on both computers.  The problem is that 1) This shouldn't be happening; 2) It makes absolutely no sense to me; 3) I don't want to rely on the old computer anymore.

#4 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

In ToolTip 2.13 on your new computer do you have all the same settings. For example on your new computer have you wrongly set the option "Old Rtf Code" on the main menu ->Modules

Jon

#5 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Dear Jon,

You nailed it!  Thank you so much!  That was the problem.  Everything else was identical, as I stated before, but on the new computer the "Old RTF" option under "Modules" was checked in Tooltip 2.13 for some reason.

I unchecked, or de-selected that option, then rendered the Dictionary file as usual with all its bookmarks and hyperlinks, and this time E-Sword recognized the bookmarks perfectly.  Thank you so much for advising on this.  Such a subtle setting could have ruined hundreds or thousands of hours of work.  Amazing.

Thomas

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

Thomas, when you said everything was the same, that of course was a red herring.  If all you did was copy the program file folder, you missed the configuration file which stores information between sessions.  This is not stored in the program files folder by Windows convention.  T4 stores this in this location:  C:\ProgramData\Tools4eSword

You will find the INI file for T4 there which stores the configuration data for T4. 

#7 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

Great day Brent,

I did not mean anything as a diversion, or "red herring."  If I had known that the settings were stored in an INI file then I would have understood to check there before posting here for help.

My level of knowledge certainly isn't anywhere close to yours on these issues, so I'm humbly learning; and I'm grateful for all the advice that you and others have given.  I treasure Tooltip and your work on it, along with your willingness to help, which has enabled me to accomplish several things.

Thank you once again (Brent) for all that you do, and thank you (Jon) for having me check that one particular setting, which solved the mysterious issue with bookmarks not working.

I say "mysterious" because everything else worked fine.  Perhaps if other things weren't working I would have had a bit more indication of where to search.  Not to be picky, but I suppose I could reply by asking why "Old RTF" would be selected by default (?).

But let's not worry about it.  You both helped me get this sorted out, and I'm genuinely grateful.  Praise God.

Thomas

Edited by Thomas L., 27 August 2015 - 03:13 PM.

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

Dear TJ,

I don't know what you mean by "importing."  I've always just copied and pasted files into the e-Sword program folder, and they work fine.  I don't think there is any such thing as "importing" in E-Sword.

I can better explain the problem as follows: I have two identical setups here:

OLD COMPUTER

e-Sword 10.1

Tooltip 2.13

Windows 7 64-bit

NEW COMPUTER

e-Sword 10.1

Tooltip 2.13

Windows 7 64-bit

Now, generally speaking, everything works identically the same between the old computer and new computer.  I can create Bible, Commentary, and Dictionary modules on either computer; I can transfer them between computers and they all work fine... EXCEPT for the bookmarks...

In Tooltip 2.13, if I insert bookmarks / hyperlinks on the OLD COMPUTER and render the file as a .dctx (Dictionary), the bookmarks work perfectly on both the old computer and the new computer.  I just transfer the .dctx file from the old computer to the new computer, and the bookmarks work perfectly on either computer.  But...

If I insert bookmarks / hyperlinks on the NEW COMPUTER and render the .dctx (Dictionary) file, the bookmarks don't work on either computer.  Everything else works, the file, the Scripture tooltip verses; but the bookmarks / hyperlinks are duds.  The cursor doesn't recognize that they exist.  All that is left is the blue text.

In short, I can create and save the Dictionary file as an RTF on the new computer and then transfer that RTF file to my old computer and create the .dctx file on the OLD COMPUTER, and then the bookmarks will work perfectly on both computers.  The problem is that 1) This shouldn't be happening; 2) It makes absolutely no sense to me; 3) I don't want to rely on the old computer anymore.

With regards to importing, if you click file from the menu across the top of esword a sub menu will drop down and import is one of the file options

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

As a matter of interest, I notice that Thomas is using an older Beta version of e-Sword, and not a final release, which going from memory, was 10.2. If you remember, when e-Sword 10 series came out, before the final release, there were 3 Beta test releases:

1. e-Sword 10
  2. e-Sword 10.1
  3. and e-Sword 10.2

And and a number of bugs had to be ironed out before the final release.

Thought this was something a tad important to mention

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users