Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

The Clear Word Bible

6 replies to this topic

#1 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hi all,

Is there a bible called Clear Word Bible.  I think it is a bible that the Seventh Day Adventist use?

Is there any SDA module for e-Sword? What is the difference of SDA to KJV?

thanks

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

Hi all,

Is there a bible called Clear Word Bible.  I think it is a bible that the Seventh Day Adventist use?

Is there any SDA module for e-Sword? What is the difference of SDA to KJV?

thanks

The Clear Word or TWC bible a paraphrase bible like the The Message, The Voice, and The Living Bible. It is a Seventh Day Adventist bible and it is considered to be King James Version or KJV derivative.

You can read more about the TWC here:

https://en.wikipedia.../The_Clear_Word

#3 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

While "The Clear Word" was written by a Seventh-day Adventist, it is in no way an official "Bible" of that denomination.  It is the work of one man, done as a personal devotional paraphrase.  The writer's own understanding comes into the paraphrase.  I would not even think that the TCW is a derivative of the KJV. 

The following is from the Preface of the TCW:

PREFACE

As has been stated in previous editions, The Clear Word is not a translation, but a devotional paraphrase of Scripture expanded for clarity. It is intended to build faith and nurture spiritual growth. It should not be considered a study Bible. Excellent translations of the Scriptures are available for such purposes.

This paraphrase provides my personal insights into the gracious and long-suffering character of God, the loving ministry of our Lord Jesus Christ and the struggles of the church from its inception to the last days. May the Holy Spirit use The Clear Word to bring about a stronger faith and a deeper spiritual experience to its readers.

A paraphrase uses current language to make the text more understandable. Over the years there have been several modern paraphrases, such as Phillips’  New Testament in Modern English, Taylor’s The Living Bible, and Peterson’s The Message. These provide a variety of reading choices. God has more ways than we can fathom to reach His children wherever they are. Each translation or paraphrase has proved beneficial in its own way to bring readers a clearer understanding of God’s magnificent gift to a fallen race.

This paraphrase began as my own devotional journey in seeking a deeper relationship with the One who loved me and gave His life for me. It was simply an extension of what I had been expressing over the years in pastoring, teaching, and in helping people better understand the Word of God by making it more relevant to their lives.

A writer’s own understanding of a biblical text will surface in a paraphrase, but it also occurs in translations written by a group of scholars. However, every attempt has been made to allow the Bible to interpret itself. For example, Matthew is allowed to interpret Isaiah, for while the Scripture has many writers, it has only one Author. Where a passage was unclear in the original language, personal judgment had to be exercised in consultation with translations, commentaries, and Bible scholars.

I am indebted to the many thoughtful colleagues, pastors and laity, old and young, who have written or called with constructive suggestions to make this paraphrase more meaningful. Especially, I wish to thank Jolena King and others who have unselfishly given of their time to make this new “column format” more reader-friendly.

I pray that the Holy Spirit will use our humble efforts to bring many to the foot of the cross and to a greater knowledge and appreciation of what the Son of God has done for us.

To the glory of God, our Father, whose love knows no bounds,

Jack J. Blanco 

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:29 AM

While "The Clear Word" was written by a Seventh-day Adventist, it is in no way an official "Bible" of that denomination.  It is the work of one man, done as a personal devotional paraphrase.  The writer's own understanding comes into the paraphrase.  I would not even think that the TCW is a derivative of the KJV. 

The following is from the Preface of the TCW:

PREFACE

As has been stated in previous editions, The Clear Word is not a translation, but a devotional paraphrase of Scripture expanded for clarity. It is intended to build faith and nurture spiritual growth. It should not be considered a study Bible. Excellent translations of the Scriptures are available for such purposes.

This paraphrase provides my personal insights into the gracious and long-suffering character of God, the loving ministry of our Lord Jesus Christ and the struggles of the church from its inception to the last days. May the Holy Spirit use The Clear Word to bring about a stronger faith and a deeper spiritual experience to its readers.

A paraphrase uses current language to make the text more understandable. Over the years there have been several modern paraphrases, such as Phillips’  New Testament in Modern English, Taylor’s The Living Bible, and Peterson’s The Message. These provide a variety of reading choices. God has more ways than we can fathom to reach His children wherever they are. Each translation or paraphrase has proved beneficial in its own way to bring readers a clearer understanding of God’s magnificent gift to a fallen race.

This paraphrase began as my own devotional journey in seeking a deeper relationship with the One who loved me and gave His life for me. It was simply an extension of what I had been expressing over the years in pastoring, teaching, and in helping people better understand the Word of God by making it more relevant to their lives.

A writer’s own understanding of a biblical text will surface in a paraphrase, but it also occurs in translations written by a group of scholars. However, every attempt has been made to allow the Bible to interpret itself. For example, Matthew is allowed to interpret Isaiah, for while the Scripture has many writers, it has only one Author. Where a passage was unclear in the original language, personal judgment had to be exercised in consultation with translations, commentaries, and Bible scholars.

I am indebted to the many thoughtful colleagues, pastors and laity, old and young, who have written or called with constructive suggestions to make this paraphrase more meaningful. Especially, I wish to thank Jolena King and others who have unselfishly given of their time to make this new “column format” more reader-friendly.

I pray that the Holy Spirit will use our humble efforts to bring many to the foot of the cross and to a greater knowledge and appreciation of what the Son of God has done for us.

To the glory of God, our Father, whose love knows no bounds,

Jack J. Blanco 

Full name The Clear Word

Other names The Clear Word "An Expanded Paraphrase"

Abbreviation TCW Language English

Complete Bible published 1994

Authorship Jack Blanco

Derived from King James Version

Translation type 100% paraphrase rate,

Contemporary Version revision 1996

Publisher Jack Blanco

Copyright Copyright 1994, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006

Edited by Tj Higgins, 23 July 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

"Derived from King James Version": Wikipedia's entry says so, but what is wikipedia's documentation for that claim?.  What does the author say?  Was the author's background?  Did the author have a knowledge of the Biblical languages? He was the Dean of a School of Religion.  Was he dependent on the KJV only?   Have you compared the TCW with the KJV? 

I would go with what the author says, that it is personal devotional paraphrase, after the style of Philips, Taylor and Peterson.  The author states it is not a study Bible. 

#6 DKHagans

DKHagans

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

It would be nice to have The Clear Word as an E-sword Bible because then you could use the parallel or compare tabs to compare it to other versions.

#7 CitizenoftheRealm

CitizenoftheRealm

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

"Derived from King James Version": Wikipedia's entry says so, but what is wikipedia's documentation for that claim?.  What does the author say?  Was the author's background?  Did the author have a knowledge of the Biblical languages? He was the Dean of a School of Religion.  Was he dependent on the KJV only?   Have you compared the TCW with the KJV? 

I would go with what the author says, that it is personal devotional paraphrase, after the style of Philips, Taylor and Peterson.  The author states it is not a study Bible. 

Yes, you are correct. The Clear Word is a devotional paraphrase and in no way considered any kind of "official" anything for SDAs.

And while there is a good possibility that the author may have referenced the KJV in some instances, many of his texts do not match the KJV reading but more closely resemble the corrupt Alexandrian text.

For example, the Clear Word renders Revelation 8:13 as "As I looked, I saw in vision an eagle soaring high overhead, crying with a human voice, 'Woe, woe, woe..."

There is not a single Bible from the pure line of manuscripts that uses the word "eagle" in this text. This use of the word "eagle" is solely linked with the corrupt manuscripts from Alexandria (from Eusebius and Origen).

All the manuscripts from the pure line as well as all the Bibles translated from them (KJV, Geneva, Coverdale, Matthews, Tyndale, Olivetan, Diodati, etc. etc.)  use the word "angel". 

This tells me that the author of the Clear Word was being influenced, at least in some degree, by either corrupt Bible versions or corrupt manuscripts, and that his paraphrase is not "based on the KJV". So while I'm sure that the author probably had the best of intentions, I would not consider the Clear Word accurate.

Edited by CitizenoftheRealm, 21 March 2020 - 08:23 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users