Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Syntax & variables to insert a new book in BBLX format

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 madi14

madi14

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

When opening the e-sword utility,one may see, on the left panel a listing of Bible book (Genesis, Exodus,... Maccabees, etc) is it possible (permitted) to insert a new book such as "The Book of the Jubilees", with its own chapters & verses?

Please help with the "correct syntax/variables". 

Thanx in advance!

Ps-: "I am not a programming-expert"

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

There are a few issues with what you want to do, first Tooltip uses a built in list of abbreviations for the various standard bible books. However the program also has an option to use custom external abbreviations lists along with the built in list so in theory at least a custom bblx module could be created that includes non standard bible books. However getting E-Sword to recognize non standard bible books is another matter entirely. E-sword does recognize the Apocrypha which includes the books Esdras, Tobit, Judith, Maccabees, Prayer of Manasseh, Wisdom, Sirach, and Baruch. 

I am not sure if E-sword will recognize books other then the ones listed above. You could create an abbreviation list text file for just one book and use that to create a single book test bblx file. The install the test file in E-sword and see if E-sword recognizes the book you used in the test module

Edited by Tj Higgins, 02 July 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#3 madi14

madi14

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for this prompt reply! It sounds like reprogramming everything! How can I create an abbreviation list format that is compatible with e-sword? some manual instructions? Again, I have been struggling to create an exec. bblx module... and all I could see is "error" that "source file is missing" any assistance on this...

#4 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

The attached file is a dump (export) of the abbreviation list from ToolTip NT (the program most of us use to create e-Sword Module.).

Is this what you are looking for?

Roy

Attached Files

#5 madi14

madi14

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

The attached file is a dump (export) of the abbreviation list from ToolTip NT (the program most of us use to create e-Sword Module.).

Is this what you are looking for?

Roy

Thanks! This is helpful... I am still struggling to see how far the ToolTip NT can take me in creating a new Bible module format! Kind of impossible... I tried to format the Prayer of Azarias and other Epistles and I failed...

#6 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for this prompt reply! It sounds like reprogramming everything! How can I create an abbreviation list format that is compatible with e-sword? some manual instructions? Again, I have been struggling to create an exec. bblx module... and all I could see is "error" that "source file is missing" any assistance on this...

The abbreviation list is a simple text file you can create with notepad in windows, once you have created it, you can access it using the scripture drop down menu in tooltip from that menu select abbreviation list, which will open a menu of options for switching between abbreviation lists 

The only bible module format that can be used in tooltip and esword is the bblx format, that cannot be changed

As for creating an exe file for the bblx module you should consult pages 130 and 131 of the tooltip users manual all of the instructions for creating the exe files are right there

Edited by Tj Higgins, 02 July 2015 - 09:58 PM.

#7 madi14

madi14

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

Thanks! Let me give it a try...

#8 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

There isn't any provision in the Bible view for Pseudepigrapha.

The abbreviations file in T4 is used to recognize verse references and format them so e-Sword will show the verse/s in a popup.

Jon

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

is it possible (permitted) to insert a new book such as "The Book of the Jubilees", with its own chapters & verses?

The short answer to your query is, "No."

Now for the longish answer.

In what you wish to do is beyond the scope of e-Sword, and just about all other Bible programs. e-Sword reads only the standard canon (66 books) of the Bible, and as an alternative, the Apocrypha can be included. Anything else you may wish to include, i.e., the Pseudepigrapha, the only way around that is to create it as a Topic Note resource. e-Sword, as Jon put it,

There isn't any provision in the Bible view for Pseudepigrapha.

and therefore it cannot be done.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 03 July 2015 - 02:54 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

The best you can do here is create a Topx file to hold the Pseudepigrapha. Topx files are viewable through the Reference Library. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users