Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Other 'free' applications with clipboard functionality available?

No replies to this topic

#1 josej

josej

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

Is there any other 'free' Bible application/addon/extension/macro that has the same functionality as The Word's clipboard monitoring function?  I hope that this isn't off-topic;  I am grateful that there are Bible applications with an integrated editor such as eSword, but in my case this application is not launching in my Linux installation using the 'Wine' program to run Windows applications, so ideally, the application would be made for (Arch) Linux, but alternatively, your Windows application suggestion may also work using Wine/Play on Linux. 

The Word is, in my view, excellent and will run on my Linux installation using Wine/Play on Linux, but unfortunately, the clipboard monitoring function doesn't work in my case (it may be a known limitation of this arrangement on Wine, which can be understandable as The Word is issued as a Windows application).  

Essentially, while you are reading/working in a certain application e.g. LibreOffice Writer, MS Word, Firefox, etc., and with the Bible application/addon/macro running or active in the background, the clipboard monitoring function would:-

1) Supply a popup of the corresponding Bible passage when you select and copy (Ctr+C) a Bible reference in the active application.  You can preset the Bible version.

2) Using a shortcut - The Word uses Ctr+Alt+V - you can immediately paste that Bible passage in, say, a word processor document.  You can ideally set your preset formats e.g. to include Bible reference, notices, etc.

There are extensions, etc that you can install in a web browser that will give a Bible passage lookup as a link in a right-click menu (for example, Scripture Window for Firefox), but isn't there an application like The Word's that can give me a popup for a Bible reference within most other applications that are open - such as when writing in a word processor?  There doesn't seem to be such a LibreOffice Writer extension for an English Bible either, if I am not mistaken.

As an alternative, would there be free Bible software that could import a user's .doc/.rtf document e.g. as user's notes and quickly be able to convert a Bible reference into a Bible passage without having to copy and paste the reference into the lookup slot of that Bible software?   Bible Unbound can import .rtf documents, but it doesn't seem to pickup the coloured highlighting (at least on my Linux installation).  All the same, the clipboard monitoring function gives you the added flexibility of getting Bible passages to popup in other active applications when simply copying the Bible reference in situ, for example, when reading a webpage.  

Your views are welcome, thank you!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users