Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Syriac font in esword

11 replies to this topic

#1 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

I am currently working on a module for a bible translation that has several instances of text in Syriac, I downloaded a font that works in tooltip but does not display in esword. Does anyone know how to get Syriac text to display correctly in esword?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:38 PM

In e-Sword's options, have a look at what default fonts are used for a specific language. Now I'm not certain that if Syriac is listed as one of those languages (as I am not working from my PC, but my driod tablet). If there is a default font listed for that language, then either use that font or change the font  to the one  you have set when creating that resouce. At the moment I think you could have a conflict going on and e-sword isn't liking it.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

In e-Sword's options, have a look at what default fonts are used for a specific language. Now I'm not certain that if Syriac is listed as one of those languages (as I am not working from my PC, but my driod tablet). If there is a default font listed for that language, then either use that font or change the font  to the one  you have set when creating that resouce. At the moment I think you could have a conflict going on and e-sword isn't liking it.

Blessings,

There is no listing for Syriac in e-sword which seems to be the overall problem, the font I am using works fine in tooltip but does not display in e-sword

Edited by Tj Higgins, 18 May 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#4 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

Hi Tj Higgins

as you found out Syriac is not given it's own font selection like Greek, Hebrew, Latin and so on

It is very important that the Syriac font you are using a Unicode font if it is not there will be problems

have you tried your font in the Arabic selection just curious 

In e-Sword what font do you have as your default font try one of these fonts

Arial

Courier new

Titus cyberbit basic

Tahoma

Times new roman

segoe family of fonts

these fonts have a Syriac section in them

IF and this is a big IF the font you used in Tool Tip Tool NT (T4) is a Unicode font  you should see a difference  if it is not Unicode it most likely will be boxes and or gibberish 

if it displays ok but has some boxes try a different font from the list

if all of the font listed above display some boxes this means that the Syriac font that you used in T4 has special characters that the fonts above Syriac section does not have and unless you can find a font that has those characters they will only display as boxes

warning: If you use a font that does not have an English section in the font; as the default font all your english modules will become unreadable until you change the font to one that has english and there be issue with hard encoded fonts

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

Hi Tj Higgins

as you found out Syriac is not given it's own font selection like Greek, Hebrew, Latin and so on

It is very important that the Syriac font you are using a Unicode font if it is not there will be problems

have you tried your font in the Arabic selection just curious 

In e-Sword what font do you have as your default font try one of these fonts

Arial

Courier new

Titus cyberbit basic

Tahoma

Times new roman

segoe family of fonts

these fonts have a Syriac section in them

IF and this is a big IF the font you used in Tool Tip Tool NT (T4) is a Unicode font  you should see a difference  if it is not Unicode it most likely will be boxes and or gibberish 

if it displays ok but has some boxes try a different font from the list

if all of the font listed above display some boxes this means that the Syriac font that you used in T4 has special characters that the fonts above Syriac section does not have and unless you can find a font that has those characters they will only display as boxes

warning: If you use a font that does not have an English section in the font; as the default font all your english modules will become unreadable until you change the font to one that has english and there be issue with hard encoded fonts

My default font in esword is Times New Roman I did find a font that works in Tool Tip but it will not display in esword. I am not sure what you mean by Syriac section within certain fonts can you please explain?

#6 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:37 AM

did you try Titus cyberbit basic as your default it has a slightly diffrent Syriac section then the other fonts on the list

Unicode fonts have a unified code system for font characters hence Unicode all a's b's c's etc. will be a's b's or c's in all Unicode fonts but will look different according to the font style and each Unicode font has language section in it but not every fonts has every language

clarification every Unicode font has a language section but not every font has characters for those languages

If Titus cyberbit basic does not work I'm almost positive that the font you found is not Unicode 

what is the name of the font and can you post a section of your bible that has Syriac

Edited by DSaw, 19 May 2015 - 10:42 AM.

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

did you try Titus cyberbit basic as your default it has a slightly diffrent Syriac section then the other fonts on the list

Unicode fonts have a unified code system for font characters hence Unicode all a's b's c's etc. will be a's b's or c's in all Unicode fonts but will look different according to the font style and each Unicode font has language section in it but not every fonts has every language

clarification every Unicode font has a language section but not every font has characters for those languages

If Titus cyberbit basic does not work I'm almost positive that the font you found is not Unicode 

what is the name of the font and can you post a section of your bible that has Syriac

The font is called Estrangelo v1.1 

#8 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

this font will not work as a Unicode font it is set up with Syriac in the Latin block where normal English is to be

Attached File  estrang latin block.png   46.85K   12 downloads

and there is nothing in the Syriac section (block)

Attached File  Estrang Syriac block.png   44.81K   10 downloads

#9 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

this font will not work as a Unicode font it is set up with Syriac in the Latin block where normal English is to be

attachicon.gifestrang latin block.png

and there is nothing in the Syriac section (block)

attachicon.gifEstrang Syriac block.png

Do know you a font that will work? The font I am using does work in Tooltip but not in esword

Edited by Tj Higgins, 19 May 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#10 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

any on the list will work but I recommend Titus cyberbit basic

download babelmap

http://www.babelston...e/BabelMap.html

find Titus cyberbit basic on font list in babelmap then find syriac Block in the Unicode block list 

then go to your document and replace the Syriac by using  babelmap like a keyboard you should do tests on direction thou so when you final convert to module the Syriac direction is correct

I know this is not good news for you 

someone else may have a better option

Edited by DSaw, 19 May 2015 - 04:27 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users