Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Sync Study Notes between two PCs

6 replies to this topic

#1 RogerWillCode

RogerWillCode

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before.  I did a search and didn't hit any relevant results.  I have e-Sword at work and at home.  Is there an easy way that you've found to sync study notes?

I am a techie, so if not, what is the best hard way?

thanks in advance,

Will

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before.  I did a search and didn't hit any relevant results.  I have e-Sword at work and at home.  Is there an easy way that you've found to sync study notes?

I am a techie, so if not, what is the best hard way?

thanks in advance,

Will

Hi Will,

You have a Windows PC at home with e-Sword, and one at work with e-Sword, and wish to sync between them. That is perhaps the easiest thing you can do. Or rather, the simplest thing you can do.

To sync files between work and home, use Dropbox or One Drive or similar. Depending on you version of Windows (at then moment I use 8.1) once Dropbox is installed on your system it will interact with your Windows file manager, and your File Open Dialog. Moreover, you are able to set up your Study, Journal, and Topic Note files to load into e-Sword from Dropbox or any other cloud service. See Screenshot below.

Attached File  e-Sword Resource Locations.png   27.5K   30 downloads

I trust this is helpful, and will sort out your dilemma

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 RogerWillCode

RogerWillCode

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:51 AM

That would be a great solution if one destination was empty.  The issue I am facing is that I have made some study notes at home (have used e-sword since early versions) and have made some additional notes at work (yes, both windows machines).  I recently got my hands on a plugin for firefox that will allow me to view the sqlite db.  I supposed I could make a copy, rename and try to do a union between the two, but that only solves the issue for records that exist in either db.  I was hoping someone had developed a solution sort of like a diff tool.  :rolleyes:

My plan was to do something similar to what you suggested after I get them merged.

Will

Edited by RogerWillCode, 14 May 2015 - 05:11 AM.

#4 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

The module maker utility, "e-Sword Tooltip Tool NT" has a module combining tool which will merge multiple NOTX files.  It can be found under Modules+Combine Files.  The files you want to merge need to be moved into a single folder.  If the 2 files you want to combine are the same name, then simply rename one of them to a unique file name.  Always backup files... 

#5 RobinSpitzer

RobinSpitzer

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thank you so much!  I have pointed both the resources and the document folders to a shared drive!  (after copying what was there to the shared drive)  and it's working perfectly.

Now, How do I get my Iphone and Ipad to also, "sync"

#6 RogerWillCode

RogerWillCode

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

The module maker utility, "e-Sword Tooltip Tool NT" has a module combining tool which will merge multiple NOTX files.  It can be found under Modules+Combine Files.  The files you want to merge need to be moved into a single folder.  If the 2 files you want to combine are the same name, then simply rename one of them to a unique file name.  Always backup files... 

Thanks BH! I'll try that... I downloaded Tooltip some time ago to work on my own devotional resource.  I'll let you know if it did the trick.

#7 RogerWillCode

RogerWillCode

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

Thanks BH! I'll try that... I downloaded Tooltip some time ago to work on my own devotional resource.  I'll let you know if it did the trick.

Like a dream!  Thanks for developing that tool.  I need to use it more often!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users