Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Tab Renamer for e-Sword X

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Corvus

Corvus

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

How to rename Tabs for bbli, cmti, etc. files for e-Sword X. Have tried Renamer and Library utilities running through CrossOver with no success.

#2 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi,

A quick check shows that the iPad/OSX versions are SQLite files, as are the Windows versions.

So, a program to access/edit tables in an SQL database should work for you.

The "Details" table  and the "Abbrevation" field should hold the data you need to change.

If you don't know what I am speaking about I would suggest that you either wait for a utility (to run on the iPad OSX) to change the tab name to be made available, or, use the windows version to change the file on a windows machine and then transfer that modified resource to your iPad MAC

Roy

p.s.(Edit: Ok I'm awake now... :blink: ... and now see the e-Sword X category. Same comments apply. I looked a little closer and see that the Apple file version resources have  different table and field names in some places, as well as different locations within the database table for those fields (but the Details table and Abbreviation field do have the same names). If I had to guess, I'd say that the renaming app looks at the table structure as a whole to decide if it can work on the table or not. Seeing a different structure it says no (even though both are SQL databases. That said, a SQL file utility allowing access to the table structure is most likely your best bet. If you go that route BE CAREFUL!)

Roy

p.p.s. I tried altering an *.cmti file with the windows version of Tab re-namer to no avail. I also tried re-naming the files extension (to *.cmtx) first with the same results. I think the failure is most likely due to the difference in table/field names mentioned above. For now try the SQL editor route. You can try this. They have an OSX version. http://sqlitebrowser.org/

Roy

Edited by Roy, 19 April 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#3 Corvus

Corvus

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

Roy,

Thanks for taking the time to consider my problem. I think I'll hold off on the SQL editor, the Tab name change is for convenience and to "pretty up" my library, I would not want to destroy my module library. I will keep diligent watch for a utility such as Renamer or Library Manager that is Mac compatible... If I had the expertise I would create it and put it out there myself.

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:34 PM

Hi

this is just a thought, you can try Tool Tip Tool NT ska T4. This tool, you can read (open) a public module. Rename (edit) a module, re save the module (as i pad). BH is the author of T4, he might be able to help.

Thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

Roy,

Thanks for taking the time to consider my problem. I think I'll hold off on the SQL editor, the Tab name change is for convenience and to "pretty up" my library, I would not want to destroy my module library. I will keep diligent watch for a utility such as Renamer or Library Manager that is Mac compatible... If I had the expertise I would create it and put it out there myself.

Hi Steve,

Feels like I'm talking to myself here. :o :D

Please let me assure you that using either SQLite Manager or SQLite Browser, or even SQLite itself, you will not destroy your library. The only thing that can ever happen is if you have a PEBKAC moment. The fact is that all of e-Sword resources, irrespective of the platform they have been made for, are SQLite Database files. The program Renamer you mentioned, technically, is a limited SQLite Database management/editing system.

I trust this will help you regarding your concerns, and that you need not worry about using SQLite Manager or SQLite Browser, or any of the numerous 3rd party SQLite tools available.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 21 April 2015 - 02:19 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hi Steve,

Feels like I'm talking to myself here. :o :D

Please let me assure you that using either SQLite Manager or SQLite Browser, or even SQLite itself, you will not destroy your library. The only thing that can ever happen is if you have a PEBKAC moment. The fact is that all of e-Sword resources, irrespective of the platform they have been made for, are SQLite Database files. The program Renamer you mentioned, technically, is a limited SQLite Database management/editing system.

I trust this will help you regarding your concerns, and that you need not worry about using SQLite Manager or SQLite Browser, or any of the numerous 3rd party SQLite tools available.

Blessings,

Agreed Brother, for the most part.

Editing ONE resource will not mess up the 900 (or however many you may have) other resources in your library.

You can however mess up THAT SINGLE resource. Worst case is that it becomes inaccessible and you have to simply re-install that single resource.

What can happen however is an unintentional modification of the content. Unlikely I agree, as there are several "Are you sure?" hoops to jump through to make those changes.

My warning to "BE CAREFULL" was a general one aimed at those who may be reading this thread, become curious, and start playing around without really paying attention to what they are doing. While the fix is an easy one, you can do some damage without realizing it.

Is an SQLite browser safe? Sure, as long as when you close out of the application and it asks you to "SAVE CHANGES?" and you don't remember -or- didn't intend to make any change, you answer "NO!".

Have a great day!

Roy

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

Agreed Brother, for the most part.

Editing ONE resource will not mess up the 900 (or however many you may have) other resources in your library.

You can however mess up THAT SINGLE resource. Worst case is that it becomes inaccessible and you have to simply re-install that single resource.

What can happen however is an unintentional modification of the content. Unlikely I agree, as there are several "Are you sure?" hoops to jump through to make those changes.

My warning to "BE CAREFULL" was a general one aimed at those who may be reading this thread, become curious, and start playing around without really paying attention to what they are doing. While the fix is an easy one, you can do some damage without realizing it.

Is an SQLite browser safe? Sure, as long as when you close out of the application and it asks you to "SAVE CHANGES?" and you don't remember -or- didn't intend to make any change, you answer "NO!".

Have a great day!

Roy

Hi Roy,

You've just shown what happens when one has that PEBKAC moment.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

Has anyone written a manual for E-sword Tab Renamer, please?  If so, where?

I've downloaded the file and searched for a tutorial or manual with no success.

I'm simply wanting to abbreviate my Commentaries, and possibly Bibles & Dictionaries tabs to shrink the current multi-tabs rows and create more space for text!

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:26 AM

Has anyone written a manual for E-sword Tab Renamer, please?  If so, where?

I've downloaded the file and searched for a tutorial or manual with no success.

I'm simply wanting to abbreviate my Commentaries, and possibly Bibles & Dictionaries tabs to shrink the current multi-tabs rows and create more space for text!

Hi Brian,

As a software developer, I'm one of those that is really strong on documentation such as Help files, Guides, and etc. That said, when it comes to programs, such as Tab Renamer; these programs are very straight forward to use, and has a very small learning curve. To write a help file or user guide for such a program really is unnecessary. And from what I can gather (going by memory) all one needs to do is to follow the prompts.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

Thanks, Steve, for your prompt response. I appreciate what you are saying but in view of what I am trying to do (last para.) can you kindly just point me in the next step?  When I opened the esword module button I got a box with 9 files in it but none seemed right for what I was trying to do, so I'm stuck there!  As a first time user, I'd welcome help what to do next and with which file to change the tabs for say first Bibles, then Commentaries, then Dictionaries?  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users