Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Mixed-up and Garbled Text in the KJV Bible

5 replies to this topic

#1 DABBL

DABBL

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

I have been using e-Sword for years, on many different computers and operating systems, and have never had this problem before. I recently installed the latest version on my new laptop, running Windows 8.1. I transferred my old "topic.topx" file over to the new computer and everything was working fine. However, when I look up a verse by typing the reference into the top left-hand box of the Bible, I get a mixture of the previously-viewed verses and the new verse. This doesn't happen every time, but does happen a LOT. Sometimes the text is simply garbled. I have reinstalled the program and it has not solved the problem. I have attached some screen shots - one shows garbled text, while the other two show verses from two different books in the SAME window. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:04 AM

I'm running Windows 7 - 64 Bit, and I have been unable to duplicate the problem. I tried numerous times, so I don't have a clue what's going on with your computer. I think this is the first problem like this ever reported. Sorry I wasn't able to help.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

I have seen that effect before.

It happens when scrolling, (Fast I think).

It's a display thing. I am not so sure that it is isolated to a particular module, although I just tried it in parallel mode and the KJV WAS the only one effected (this time).

I can not get it to re-occure all of the time.

Roy

p.s. Win 7 Home Prem.(64 bit)

Edited by Roy, 31 March 2015 - 05:13 AM.

#4 DABBL

DABBL

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

I appreciate both of you looking into this for me. The problem occurs even when e-Sword first begins - before I have even had a chance to scroll. I also used the parallel view, choosing the KJV and the RV and when I went back to the KJV view, the display became a mixture of the KJV only and the parallel view. Very strange. My video driver (and all other system drivers) are up to date. My laptop is an Asus X750JA running Windows 8.1 64 bit. The system specs are as follows:Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics 4600; Adapter RAM: 2GB; Display: 17.3" 16:9 HD+ (1600x900); system RAM: 8 GB. Unfortunately, the problem occurs more often than not and is making it very difficult to use the program. I LOVE e-Sword and hate the thought of having to use a different Bible program! I have no idea how to fix the problem or if it is somehow related to Windows 8.1.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

Try a lower resolution, rather than the default resolution. Another tip you can try is to see if your Clear Type setting is on. If not on the click the checkbox to turn it on.

I remember there use to be a refresh rate in the display settings in earlier versions of Windows, but this seems to have disappeared from Windows 8x. So as to how this can be done, I can't help with that.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 31 March 2015 - 04:39 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 DABBL

DABBL

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

Thank you, APsit190, for your suggestions - I adjusted the Clear Type setting, which seemed to make it a little better. I found where I should be able to adjust my refresh rate, however my graphics card is "set" at 60 hertz - it's the only choice they give me (it's an integrated card, nothing fancy). Since adjusting the Clear Type, the text will "straighten itself out" when I scroll down past the "problem area" and then back up again. I'm a little hesitant to change from my native resolution, but might wind up having to do so. I will post the solution IF I ever find one, just in case anyone else has this problem. Again, thank you for your suggestions!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users