Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword X for Mac OS X

37 replies to this topic

#21 christtheark

christtheark

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

Got my copy of e-sword X today off of the App Store, for $9.99...Question, how do I add modules from this website?

#22 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

The modules here are in Windows format, so they must be converted to Apple format before you can use them. There are several threads here on that topic. You will need "convert.exe" from the official e-Sword site. I don't have a MAC, so I haven't tried it.

http://www.e-sword.net/extras.html

Edited by journey, 25 March 2015 - 03:38 PM.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#23 christtheark

christtheark

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

It took me a while to get it all...here it is y'all....God Bless...Study and enjoy...{['D=

To convert windows modules into e-sword X files.

Open Crossover, select ‘Run Command’, next go to the ’Use Bottle’ box select ‘e-sword’ in the bottles file list.

Next click on browse, the drive_c screen will open, click on the ‘Program Files’ link, then click on ‘e-sword folder’ the file containing all the modules will appear, scroll down till you find ‘e-SwordAppleModuleCovert.exe’ file.

Either double click on the file, or highlight the file and click on open at the bottom of page.

Then click the ‘Browse’ icon on the ‘Run Command’ Launcher.

The Module Converter will open, click on the ‘Type’ box and it will show a selection of which to choose from (Bible, Commentary, ect.) that you want to convert.

Next go to the drop down window ’Module’ click on the little folder icon at the end of the drop down window all the files of the ‘Type’ of files you selected will open, make a selection of what file you want to convert.

Then click on the ‘Convert’ icon and let it convert the file to e-sword X file.

Files will convert into .bbli, .cmti, .refi files.

Close the ‘Converter Utility’ click the ‘Browse’ icon on the ‘Run Command’ and the ‘drive_c’ file will open back up, look for the converted file, transfer your converted file from here to the eSwordX directory.

THEN:

Convert the modules and import them to the eSwordX directory.

Once all modules are converted:

On your desktop, Holding the option key, go to the toolbar hit GO/and then click on Library and browse to this directory:

Library/Containers/Net.e-sword.e-Sword-X/Data/Library/Application Support/

Copy the converted modules and drop them there.

Its a good idea to create a shortcut of this folder:

Select the Application Support Folder and do one of the following:

a. Right click over the folder and select Make Alias then drag that folder to your desktop or wherever you wish. OR

b. Drag the Application Support Folder to the Sidebar (I prefer this way).

If you wish to make a back up of all your modules this is the folder you must save.

Thanks to

Alexis2131

Edited by christtheark, 26 March 2015 - 03:56 AM.

#24 Stan Hauntsman

Stan Hauntsman

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

You must be running Yosemite. It works great so far. I do agree that it would be nice to close or modify the window layout...

Blessings,

Stan

#25 Shane82

Shane82

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLoganville, GA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

I've purchased e-sword x as well and I'm excited that this great resource is no longer restricted to my old PC! This is well worth the price, especially considering that I've used the PC version for years of free study.

I've found a few modules on biblesupport that have an Apple version ready for download: commentaries by Utley, Preacher's Homiletic Commentary, and College Press (green books). But most resources here do not yet have an Apple version for download, so I'll be doing a lot of converting myself soon.

The two features that I miss the most from the PC version: "info" icons that indicate when a module contains content regarding the current verse, and completely flexible window formatting. 

The info icons would be a major time-saver for using commentaries and dictionaries, especially since the tabs have been replaced by a drop-down menu. I often do not need the dictionary and concordance windows, and on my small Mac screen, would prefer for them to disappear.

Overall, this is a major blessing as a resource. My bible study time will be much more efficient and effective. Thanks to Rick and everyone contributing!

#26 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

I've purchased e-sword x as well and I'm excited that this great resource is no longer restricted to my old PC! This is well worth the price, especially considering that I've used the PC version for years of free study.

Hi Shane,

Congrats on your new adventure with e-Sword.

Now that is said, done and dusted, actually e-Sword for Windows was not really completely restricted to a Windows machine. It was (and  can be) successfully run on Mac machines using Crossover, and before that, on some version of WINE (or whatever it was called for running it on UNIX). So, with that, I'm quite surprised to see that you seemed not to have it on your Mac machine before.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#27 glngnay

glngnay

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

Hello New here. 

I have not yet purchased E-sword X. I have a couple questions first.

What all is include in the 9.99 download? What Translations, Commentaries, etc.? I know it has Strong's numbers, but what else. Are the majority of the modules out there free?

I am also new to converting things from windows to Mac. Does this crossover program come with e-sword or is that a completely separate program? I figure it is the latter. That being said I am probably a 5/10 when it comes to detailed computer tasks. ( I tried to download the theWord for Mac and got a little confused with xQuartz and everything so I gave up and decided I would pay for e-sword) Will I be able to learn how to convert the modules. The instructions seem easy enough but I know how looks can be deceiving. Like 1 Peter 3:18-22 ;). Anyway, will I need to take some IT classes to learn this stuff? 

#28 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:32 AM

Hello New here. 

I have not yet purchased E-sword X. I have a couple questions first.

What all is include in the 9.99 download? What Translations, Commentaries, etc.? I know it has Strong's numbers, but what else. Are the majority of the modules out there free?

I am also new to converting things from windows to Mac. Does this crossover program come with e-sword or is that a completely separate program? I figure it is the latter. That being said I am probably a 5/10 when it comes to detailed computer tasks. ( I tried to download the theWord for Mac and got a little confused with xQuartz and everything so I gave up and decided I would pay for e-sword) Will I be able to learn how to convert the modules. The instructions seem easy enough but I know how looks can be deceiving. Like 1 Peter 3:18-22 ;). Anyway, will I need to take some IT classes to learn this stuff? 

"e-Sword X initially installs with the King James Bible and the King James with Strong's numbers study Bible, the Strong's Lexicon, Smith's Bible dictionary, F. B. Meyer devotional commentary, and the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge cross references. There are over one hundred additional Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, lexicons, reference books and devotionals that you can download and add to your library absolutely free!"

https://itunes.apple...d968437868?mt=8

http://www.e-sword.net/mac/

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#29 cmhatton

cmhatton

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

New Here:

Question: E-sword X is a different program than the e-sword for mac run through CrossOver, correct? And this means that modules that I would have to download via the installer through CrossOver will not show up in  E-Sword X, right? 

I read in the posts that there is a converter.exe but I am not sure what this does, and I have not understood the posts explaining how to convert and to what exactly I am converting. It would be great is the modules on biblesupport could be converted so that they are usable in the e-sword x.

Any suggestions, and I am basically computer illiterate!

Edited by cmhatton, 18 December 2015 - 10:02 PM.

#30 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:48 AM

New Here:

Question: E-sword X is a different program than the e-sword for mac run through CrossOver, correct? And this means that modules that I would have to download via the installer through CrossOver will not show up in  E-Sword X, right? 

I read in the posts that there is a converter.exe but I am not sure what this does, and I have not understood the posts explaining how to convert and to what exactly I am converting. It would be great is the modules on biblesupport could be converted so that they are usable in the e-sword x.

Any suggestions, and I am basically computer illiterate!

Right and right for the first paragraph.

The Windows to Mac converter converts non-password protected Windows modules to use for e-Sword Mac. The converter is used on a Windows machine. Try the converter and see if it works on a module you want:

http://www.e-sword.net/extras.html

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users