Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

PLEASE Develop e-Sword for Linux !!! Post here if you want it.

26 replies to this topic

#11 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:58 PM

I'm sure that Rick has his reasons - regardless he will decide when and if he will develop e-Sword for Linux.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#12 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

I just looked in my "Sent" folder... I emailed Rick on March 17; no response. I guess it is safe to say I won't get a response.

The questions were:

So, what currently prevents you from developing eSword for Linux?
Is it funding?
Is it time?
Do you just not want to?

Very sad.

I guess "rude" comes to mind.

Industry standard (10 years ago): if you have a business or company email offered, it is proper etiquette to check it twice daily on regular business days, or at least turn on a vacation response if you can't.

The entire email I sent wasn't just asking those 3 questions; I was offering help and solutions for the first 2.

So that would lead me to believe the 3rd- he just doesn't want to.

Hence, that is why I said "very sad", because, it IS very sad indeed.

Comical too, Microsoft is going to attempt to shut us out when Windows 10 officially releases so it will be VERY difficult for Linux installation on "mobile devices"... It is terribly sad that Rick is putting himself in that category... That thought makes me shudder and want to drop eSword altogether.

Oh well; maybe at the next eSword-Con we can ask him in person at the Q&A session.

#13 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:43 PM

I guess "rude" comes to mind.

Industry standard (10 years ago): if you have a business or company email offered, it is proper etiquette to check it twice daily on regular business days, or at least turn on a vacation response if you can't.

The entire email I sent wasn't just asking those 3 questions; I was offering help and solutions for the first 2.

So that would lead me to believe the 3rd- he just doesn't want to.

Hence, that is why I said "very sad", because, it IS very sad indeed.

Comical too, Microsoft is going to attempt to shut us out when Windows 10 officially releases so it will be VERY difficult for Linux installation on "mobile devices"... It is terribly sad that Rick is putting himself in that category... That thought makes me shudder and want to drop eSword altogether.

Oh well; maybe at the next eSword-Con we can ask him in person at the Q&A session.

e-Sword is and has been free for Windows for many years. If there is something you don't like about e-Sword, don't use it. The cost of e-Sword for recently released versions for iPhone and Mac probably does little more than recover costs for Rick. Again, if there is something you don't like about e-Sword, don't use it. I don't know what Rick's stance is on answering every email, but I doubt that he has time. Further, if there is something you don't like about Rick, don't use his software. Just go ahead and do what you think is right for you and be done with it.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#14 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

e-Sword is and has been free for Windows for many years. If there is something you don't like about e-Sword, don't use it. The cost of e-Sword for recently released versions for iPhone and Mac probably does little more than recover costs for Rick. Again, if there is something you don't like about e-Sword, don't use it. I don't know what Rick's stance is on answering every email, but I doubt that he has time. Further, if there is something you don't like about Rick, don't use his software. Just go ahead and do what you think is right for you and be done with it.

???

The title of the thread is "Please Develope eSword for Linux!!! Post Here if You Want It"

I think you're in the wrong thread

"

#15 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

???

The title of the thread is "Please Develope eSword for Linux!!! Post Here if You Want It"

I think you're in the wrong thread

"

I replied to your post. I'm done with this thread, so you have the last word.

#16 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

Rick replied to me email this morning:

"...The challenge on any new OS are the libraries used for the actual GUI development.  I am not ready to take on LINUX which has numerous library choices for GUI development.

However, there is nothing stopping you, or anyone else for that matter, in developing a Bible program for LINUX, in the same way that the MySword folks did.  They use all of the BibleSupport modules, so a team would simply need to write the GUI and use the same modules developed for MySword.  The content is already available, so now you just need to write the viewer!

In His service,

Rick Meyers
"

This is why good communication is so essential :D  !

Now I know what I need to do. The answer is "If you want it, make it"

APsit, I saw you post about coding.... I'll have to look into the item you mentioned. And I saw this in my feed today Visusal Studio Code ... anybody used it?

All of this is outside my current skillset...

#17 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

Now I know what I need to do. The answer is "If you want it, make it"

Hi Tom,

Boy, do I hope I got your name right.

Now, in many respects that is a great idea. However, with that said, I wonder if Rick would allow that program to be interoperable with e-Sword resources, including the premium ones, so that there would be no need to have a separate set of resources for it.

With respect to developing a Bible program for Linux which is not interoperable with e-Sword is rather a defeated purpose, because the main reason would have to have a Clayton type e-Sword whose resources can be shared with e-Sword; otherwise one is just developing another Bible program along with the myriad Bible programs which are incompatible to each other.

APsit, I saw you post about coding.... I'll have to look into the item you mentioned. And I saw this in my feed today Visusal Studio Code ... anybody used it?

Now, that is some kind of fantastic idea. I really love that idea.

Currently I am using Visual Studio 2013 Express edition which only has C# and VB. And I would imagine that Rick would be using something similar to that except it would be a Professional or an Enterprise edition.

So, with that, this is something that I would have to seriously look into before upgrading my current edition of Visual Studio.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#18 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:49 PM

Hi Tom,

Boy, do I hope I got your name right.

Now, in many respects that is a great idea. However, with that said, I wonder if Rick would allow that program to be interoperable with e-Sword resources, including the premium ones, so that there would be no need to have a separate set of resources for it.

With respect to developing a Bible program for Linux which is not interoperable with e-Sword is rather a defeated purpose, because the main reason would have to have a Clayton type e-Sword whose resources can be shared with e-Sword; otherwise one is just developing another Bible program along with the myriad Bible programs which are incompatible to each other.

Now, that is some kind of fantastic idea. I really love that idea.

Currently I am using Visual Studio 2013 Express edition which only has C# and VB. And I would imagine that Rick would be using something similar to that except it would be a Professional or an Enterprise edition.

So, with that, this is something that I would have to seriously look into before upgrading my current edition of Visual Studio.

Blessings,

2guntom... long story, not that funny... My real name is Duane.

You ask really good questions, but I don't know. I'm very pleased to have an answer from Rick so I know what direction to begin to look... if current or even old modules would work, that would be a great start, and I COMPETELY agree that premium modules are a must, or I would lose interest in the project yesterday :o

I keep seeing items in tech news that make it appear that this project should be easier to accomplish than say a year ago. For instance .NET for Linux

I remember .NET being a problem with my first attempts with Linux, Wine, and eSword a year ago.

I don't know how big of an undertaking this will be. I was planning on maybe doing my own Linux distro as my next project, but this is more interesting. I'm probably going to have to call in some help since I know absolutely nothing about programming... I might see if a few of the sharp tacks from the local Makers' Space want to start a LUG...

I'm still extremely pleased to have an answer from Rick; no more wanting, whining, hoping, conjecture... If we want it, we make it.

#19 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

2guntom... long story, not that funny... My real name is Duane.

Hi Duane,

Thanks for that, and my name is Stephen, of which most call me Steve. The APsit190 goes back to the days of when I was a Polytechnic student of which I made up my user name from it and my student log-in of which is no longer valid.

I keep seeing items in tech news that make it appear that this project should be easier to accomplish than say a year ago. For instance .NET for Linux

I remember .NET being a problem with my first attempts with Linux, Wine, and eSword a year ago.

Microsoft has also released the .NET framework to the Open Sauce community on GitHub, as well as many other of their major projects. Also MS is thinking of releasing Windows to the Open Sauce Community, but as to when this will actually eventuate, I don't know.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 02 May 2015 - 09:24 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#20 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

I COMPETELY agree that premium modules are a must, or I would lose interest in the project yesterday :o

You should ask Rick that question before you get too deep into this, if the project hinges on reading premium modules. Premium modules are encrypted. It would surprise me if Rick provided a third party developer the ability to decrypt the premium modules. 

I forgot that the Apple modules are unencrypted. I guess your first decision has been made for you. You will need to have your Linux program read the Apple modules, since the premium and official PC modules are encrypted.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users