Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword X

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

My guess is the Macintosh will use the iPad/iPhone version of the resources instead of the PC version's.  Hopefully, there won't be yet another series of  parallel module types in the e-Sword product family.

HI Josh,

As possibly this may be true, in reality this would have to totally suck for the simple reason when it comes to working from one platform to another, in all sincerity, really makes sharing studies and resources extremely difficult in not impossible.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but when it comes to interoperability and collaboration of resources between platforms, e-Sword is a complete letdown and a total failure. I think its totally ridiculous to have duplication of resources for one program irrespective of which platform that program runs on.

And whilst I'm on this bandwagon and soapbox, regarding not developing e-Sword for Android I believe is nothing more than stupidity taken to the extreme.

I just needed to say that. Whew, I feel a lot better now.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#12 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

While the wording is ambiguous, from the context I don't think this is a re-write of the PC version.

Rather than just porting (or converting) e-Sword from the PC to the Mac in a feature-for-feature conversion, I think this means they used the PC version as a starting point and built on their years of experience to make the Mac version more feature rich and "better". The rest of the sentence after "PC", I think, clarifies it. I  believe he uses "PC" here as a comparison to the Mac version (Mac version will be "better"), instead of saying he has re-created e-Sword for the PC.

My guess is the Macintosh will use the iPad/iPhone version of the resources instead of the PC version's.  Hopefully, there won't be yet another series of  parallel module types in the e-Sword product family.

The price is also unknown. Since the Mac has an App Store (like the iPhone/iPad), there's the possibility (and probability) of X not being free.

Thanks Josh,

I was kinda' afraid that was the case but wasn't sure. The current standard version for [real] computers :-) works fine. Just thought maybe we'd get a new one too. I love e-Sword!

#13 acjthai

acjthai

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationS.E. Asia

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

As the e-Sword X for Mac is now on the App store as of March 20th, 2015 for $9.99 my question for clarification is this: will all the thousands of wonderful resources that you guys have painstakingly worked on to make available for use on the PC version ever be available for use on this new Mac version?  I mean, I would love to quit using my VMWare Fusion virtual program to daily access e-Sword on my Mac, as VMWare keeps charging for their updated versions.  But, having the e-Sword on the Mac would, ultimately, be just another chunk of lost memory on my HDD, if there was no hope of every being able to view the hundreds of commentaries, books, etc, you guys have developed which are presently available to me on my virtual world PC version.  Any thoughts as to if and when (and how much?) all of the goodies will be available for use on the Mac? How about the iPhone and iPad versions?  Or, are these just pipe dreams?  Thanks.

#14 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

Please visit the official e-sword site and view the FAQ on e-Sword-X.

http://www.e-sword.net/mac/faq.htm

It will tell you that you can use a converter found on the e-Sword site to convert these modules (Same converter you would use for e-Sword HD).

It will also tell you how to access the commercial modules you have already purchased for the Windows version of e-Sword.

Quote from e-Sword.net:

How do I make my own modules for e-Sword X?

There is a lot to it, but hopefully we can make it easy for you. The following steps should assist you in this endeavor:

STEP #1 — e-Sword. You need to have a PC with e-Sword 10.4 installed on it. You can download that from here: http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

STEP #2 — Content. There are thousands of user-made modules already available for e-Sword which can easily be converted for e-Sword X. Join the e-Sword User Group where you can find what you are looking for, or if it doesn't already exist there are also tools by which you can create them! The e-Sword User Group is here: http://www.biblesupport.com/

STEP #3 — Convert. After you have downloaded the e-Sword module(s) you wish to convert for use in e-Sword X you will need to run them through the e-Sword PC to Apple User Module Conversion Utility. You can download that from here: http://www.e-sword.net/extras.html

STEP #4 — Transfer. The final step is to move the new module(s) onto your Mac, placing them in the app's sandbox.

STEP #5 — Restart. To load the new module(s) you will need to restart e-Sword X if it is already running.

End Quote:

If my Mac was of the Intel variety I would already have gotten it... but alas mine uses the Power PC chip-set.

Hope this helps.

Roy

#15 acjthai

acjthai

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationS.E. Asia

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

Thanks, Roy.  My Mac has a 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 processer.  It does sound like a lot to do--no simple dragging and dropping into Mac folders.  But, in the long run, it does sound like a worthwhile endeavor to get everything on my Mac.  I am assuming that once I do this for my first Mac, I should be able to transfer the already converted  files to an e-Sword X program on my wife's Mac via an intranet and not have to go through all of this twice--one for each laptop.  Does this sound correct?  

I am still curious to know: do you think that Mac (and iPhone, iPad) versions of these files on biblesupport.com will eventually be available there?  Or, will we have to go through this exacting procedure every time we want to download something to our Macs?  Thanks again.   

Edited by acjthai, 21 March 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#16 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Well, I would "assume" that once converted, you should simply be able to transfer the files via wire -or- thumb drive.

See this post on how to find the hidden folder where e-Sword-X stashes the files.

Best of luck!

Roy

#17 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

As the e-Sword X for Mac is now on the App store as of March 20th, 2015 for $9.99 my question for clarification is this: will all the thousands of wonderful resources that you guys have painstakingly worked on to make available for use on the PC version ever be available for use on this new Mac version?  

The new Mac version uses the same module format as the iPhone/iPad.

Eventually, we'll get all the resources updated with an Apple version of each module. In the mean time, others have already mentioned the conversion process.

#18 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

The new Mac version uses the same module format as the iPhone/iPad.

Eventually, we'll get all the resources updated with an Apple version of each module. In the mean time, others have already mentioned the conversion process.

Hi Josh,

To complete the interoperability, all that needs to be done is have the resources working on all the platforms that e-Sword is on, and then we don't have to worry about conversion processes and the difficulties encountered with it.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#19 acjthai

acjthai

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationS.E. Asia

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

So . . . do you guys think it is better to wait until these resources are updated to run with e-Sword X, than to use the conversion process outlined above to use them in the interim?  Or, will these converted resources cause problems in the future when the modules created specifically for our Macs are downloaded and mixed in with those converted from the PC version?  Or, is it better, should I need some of these other resources now in the interim, to go ahead and convert them for use now and then delete them from my HDD before I download those created for the Mac once they are updated?  I am not a computer guy; so, I have no clue.  I do, however, want to avoid slowing my recently cleaned up Mac unnecessarily.

I did purchase e-Sword X and the modules available do download at lightning speed.  I am hoping and assuming Rick will eventually update the Mac version with the features of its PC counterpart, e-Sword X definitely cannot do all that the PC version can presently do.  Thanks again. 

#20 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

So . . . do you guys think it is better to wait until these resources are updated to run with e-Sword X, than to use the conversion process outlined above to use them in the interim?  Or, will these converted resources cause problems in the future when the modules created specifically for our Macs are downloaded and mixed in with those converted from the PC version?  Or, is it better, should I need some of these other resources now in the interim, to go ahead and convert them for use now and then delete them from my HDD before I download those created for the Mac once they are updated?  I am not a computer guy; so, I have no clue.

The versions made for e-Sword HD and e-Sword LT are compatible with e-Sword X (they are HTM and SQLite based)

e-Sword for PC is RTF and SQLite based

There are 3 ways to convert e-Sword for PC

1) e-SwordHDModuleConvert.exe

2) reading with ToolTip Tool and make a HD module.(easy)

3) using DB browser for SQLite and export, replacing RTF code and import (not for beginners)

Edited by Katoog, 07 April 2015 - 07:36 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users