Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Is E-Sword Backwards Compatible?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Aliyah Berakah

Aliyah Berakah

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

I am new to using E-Sword. I have E-sword 8 & 10. There are modules(?) for 8 that do not seem to be available for 10. I want to know if there is some way that I can utilize my 8 stuff in 10?

This is very confusing for me because E-sword is so massive to begin with and I have a hard enough time trying to understand all of the functionality of the program. I have 10 on my laptop and 8 on another system, but would like to have everything on one system if possible.

What are my options? (If any).

Thanks.

Sola Fide

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Much more is available for version 10 than version 8, and the two are not compatible. You can convert most of your version 8 resources to version 9-10 with the converter below. However, it will not convert password protected modules that were typically purchased modules. You can download your purchased modules, and the same keys work for version 10. If you lost the keys to your purchased modules, e-Study Source saved them for you:  http://estudysource....page/index.aspx

Resources from the Lockman Foundation would be an exception. You can use the feedback questions from the main e-Sword site for these:  http://www.e-sword.net/feedback.html

Converter to Version 10

http://www.biblesupp...rd-9-converter/

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

Journey has you on the right path. A couple of things to add:

The vast majority of modules have already been converted from 8.x years ago and available on this website.  If you have a large library, you might find most of the public domain modules on this website.

Modules you created would be the exception. Another exception would be modules containing copyrighted content that were never legitimate (pirated, if you will). You would need to convert both types yourself.

And as Journey noted, officially sold modules can't be converted, but they can be re-downloaded if they were purchased to begin with.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:24 PM

Please allow me also to chime in.

Support for e-Sword 8x and below isn't really all that supported, and as both Josh Bond and Journey have shared, most of your resources that were for 8x are also available for 10x.

I would like to also add that the resources that have been made for 10x will not work in 8x (and below). Because of that factor, I recommend you just use e-Sword 10x (current version being 10.4). If you have a large number of personal Topic Note from your 8x version, with the extension of top, e-Sword 10x will convert them by saving it as a topx file. However, I don't know if this can be done with a Study Note file. Josh might be able to help you there, better than I can.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Aliyah Berakah

Aliyah Berakah

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the insight. Like I said, E-sword (for me at least) can (and often is) very intimidating because it can do so much. I will most likely take advantage of Journey's suggestion and convert over what I can and try and re-download 10x versions of the rest of what I have in 8. This was a gift for me, so I can't say where anything came from beyond me getting it. I have spent time on this site trying to research what I do have and see what is available, but it makes me dizzy sometimes - just too much information it seems.

I used the word "modules" for lack of a better term. It can be anything from commentaries, to reference, to bibles, to topix, etc. One word to cover a lot of things, but maybe not the most accurate word to use. My apologies if that was misleading.

Also, another question.

My HD crashed last week that held my 10x on it and I was able (by grace) to access my files as an external drive and copied over my contents of my e-sword directory. Here is the question.

Can I copy that directory over into the new install of 10 on my new HD and expect it to work? Wanted to ask before I tried it.

Thanks again for the input.

Sola Fide

#6 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Also, another question.

My HD crashed last week that held my 10x on it and I was able (by grace) to access my files as an external drive and copied over my contents of my e-sword directory. Here is the question.

Can I copy that directory over into the new install of 10 on my new HD and expect it to work? Wanted to ask before I tried it.

Thanks again for the input.

Yes, that should work. I think that you'll enjoy version 10.4 of e-Sword.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

Yes, that should work. I think that you'll enjoy version 10.4 of e-Sword.

Yep, I concur. You can't go wrong with that.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 Aliyah Berakah

Aliyah Berakah

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

Thank you all for your encouragement and help in this matter. I am in the process of getting everything loaded onto the laptop and crossing over the files which I had loaded in e-sword before everything went south.

If I have any outstanding problems, I would hope that I can post it here and possibly get a resolution or advice in how to solve it. Hopefully, all will go well.

Thanks again.

Sola Fide

#9 Aliyah Berakah

Aliyah Berakah

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

I have a screenshot of my E-sword app when it comes up and I wanted to ask some specific questions. How is the best way to post it here in the forum, so others can see what I am referring to?

Thanks.

Sola Fide

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

I have a screenshot of my E-sword app when it comes up and I wanted to ask some specific questions. How is the best way to post it here in the forum, so others can see what I am referring to?

Thanks.

Hello, at the bottom of this page, where you normally type your reply, click "More Reply Options". Then use the attachment button to attach a picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users