Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Christopher Wordsworth Commentary and Bible Translation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ZionsHerald

ZionsHerald

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

I was wondering if anyone has been working on another one of the great Bible Commentary sets (which includes his translation of the Bible) by Christopher Wordsworth.

http://en.wikipedia....pher_Wordsworth

Logos appears to be working on some of his materials, such as his Ecclesiastical History and the OT set --

www.logos.com/products/search?Author=17599%7CChristopher+Wordsworth

These books are in public domain (with several of his other ones) at --

https://archive.org/...her, 1807-1885"

Google also has these at --

https://www.google.c...her Wordsworth"

Some time ago there was an Online Bible module completed that had the minor prophets portion of the commentary. I could extract the text if anyone needs it to start.

#2 ZionsHerald

ZionsHerald

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

I forgot to add that I haven't seen much activity on this site or the Word Modules site in the last couple of months so was hoping to encourage some to keep the sites going. Its just great!

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:00 AM

I forgot to add that I haven't seen much activity on this site or the Word Modules site in the last couple of months so was hoping to encourage some to keep the sites going. Its just great!

http://www.biblesupp...ge-2#entry23413

Some insight from this link.

Jon

#4 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

In the last 24 hours, there has been 84 new members here and over 1600 downloads. I'd call that a lot of activity.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

In the last 24 hours, there has been 84 new members here and over 1600 downloads. I'd call that a lot of activity.

I call that a slow day especially when it comes to the downloads. I don't know what the highest download has been within 24 hours, however, I've seen it at one time at about 2000. But that in itself is not by any stretch of the imagination what the top download would have been within a 24 hour period.

As to the amount of most new members in a 24 hour period, I have no idea, and therefore I can't comment on that.

Also, as to what the most download and most members joining in a 24 hour period I reckon Josh Bond might know.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

I think what was meant by little activity was new module uploads

and Josh's the word site might MIGHT be going away

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#7 ZionsHerald

ZionsHerald

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

Aww....that would be too bad if the site went away.

And yes, I was referencing the uploads, rather than downloads.

If anyone is interested I have completed the book of Daniel and the Minor prophets (except the Hebrew) in ascii format.  Is anyone interested in continuing the project?

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

I was wondering if anyone has been working on another one of the great Bible Commentary sets (which includes his translation of the Bible) by Christopher Wordsworth.

http://en.wikipedia....pher_Wordsworth

Logos appears to be working on some of his materials, such as his Ecclesiastical History and the OT set --

www.logos.com/products/search?Author=17599|Christopher+Wordsworth

These books are in public domain (with several of his other ones) at --

https://archive.org/...her, 1807-1885"

Google also has these at --

https://www.google.c...her Wordsworth"

Some time ago there was an Online Bible module completed that had the minor prophets portion of the commentary. I could extract the text if anyone needs it to start.

If someone were going to digitize the commentary portion of Wordsworth' material, you would want to scan the books yourself. The print is very small. The Archive.org/Google scans, while legible to a human, would not be suitable for OCR software. If no one else speaks up, you can send what you have completed to me for a "one day" project.

Or, you could work on the project yourself, starting with the digitization of the text. That's the first step, and possible even if you know nothing about module making.

The Church History series by Wordsworth has larger print, thus Archive.org's lower resolution scan is fine. That could be digitized directly from the scans. And to me, the Church History set looks pretty interesting!

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:40 AM

I intend to run this as long as e-Sword exists. That's because thousands of new people download e-Sword every day and some seek modules not available within e-Sword. Almost every day, I get emails from people who just found this website. It's a new experience for them.

But for new modules, what's left to do? For example, what worthwhile commentary sets are left that we can legally publish? "Worthwhile" is based on your theological perspective (i.e what interests you). I think from a protestant, evangelical perspective, we have in e-Sword format most of what's worth doing. I mention protestant and evangelical because that's a lot of this website's user base. The evidence that the user base is largely satisfied is the drastic reduction of the "module requests" threads. We saw a whole lot more in 2012 than we do in 2015--because we've met that demand. (Instead of someone saying, "Can you make Ellicott's Commentary", they go download Ellicott's Commentary.)

For me (and most module makers), I create modules based on A) text being readily available (scanned and proofed) and it's in my theological ballpark or B) do I like it enough to digitize it (quality: how does it compare with what already exists). This is balanced with how much time it would take.

I've run short on A and B.  That doesn't mean there's nothing left to do. It just means that there's fewer titles to choose from that the module maker finds interesting; the easy, already digitized text available on the Internet has been exhausted; and I have to weigh the quality of the resource with the time required to produce it.

A good example of the tension between the quality of a resource and the time required to produce it is the current project James Rice and I are working on. It's a good set written by a solid author. The author preached on the Bible for a year and the set is the result.

But is it as good as the Preacher's Homiletical Commentary? Or the Sermon Bible?  Not a chance because it's a fraction of that size, and it's no where near as exhaustive. Yet, the time still has to be spent to digitize the set--a set that is good, but not as great as what's already available.

You might call these second tier and third tier resources. I have a few commentary sets that fit into this category on my project list.

I also have a copyrighted commentary that I have permission to use. I'm going to start on it after the Riley project and it will go very quickly. That's an easy decision because I find the content compelling and it's already digitized!

#10 johanseb

johanseb

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

Simply, Thank you! for all the good work.

It blesses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users