Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Differences in Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 Scripture references

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohanMa

JohanMa

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationKrugersdorp

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:12 AM

Good day,

I created a Dictionary module with many Scripture references, which works perfectly on my Windows 7 / 32-bit laptop.

I recently bought a Dell Windows 8.1 / 64-bit laptop, but these references do not show the popups and nothing happens when clicking on it.

The format I use is {\cf11\ul Gen_1:1}.

What could be the reason of this problem please?

Regards,

Johan

#2 JohanMa

JohanMa

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationKrugersdorp

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

Further investigation reveals that this problem only occurs when the Scripture reference is within a table or after a table.

Regards,

Johan

#3 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

Check the character that occurs right after your scripture reference. This may be blocking e-Sword from "seeing" the reference particularly if it is in a table.  Try adding a space after the reference in a problem location, change {\cf11\ul Gen_1:1}  to {\cf11\ul Gen_1:1 } and test that.

#4 JohanMa

JohanMa

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationKrugersdorp

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow.

I wonder though why it works perfectly in Windows 7, but not in Windows 8.1.

Johan

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

Check the character that occurs right after your scripture reference. This may be blocking e-Sword from "seeing" the reference particularly if it is in a table.  Try adding a space after the reference in a problem location, change {\cf11\ul Gen_1:1}  to {\cf11\ul Gen_1:1 } and test that.

Hi Brent,

I run Windows 8.1, and use e-Sword 10.4, and in that I have no issues with my Tooltipped references, either Bible or Dictionary. Howeve I decided to I test your hypothesis, and here are the results:

1. For the code {\cf11\ul Gen_1:1} worked. I had no issues
  2. For the code edited by  the extra space at the end, {\cf11\ul Gen_1:1 } didn't work. All it gave me was an extended underline of one space, and nothing popped up.

The only thing that I can think of which may have caused the problem is something has been left out or unwittingly deleted.

My test was performed on a Study Note file using SQLite Manager, T4, and e-Sword Note editor. All three came up with the same results.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 13 January 2015 - 03:53 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 JohanMa

JohanMa

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationKrugersdorp

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Thank you for the feedback.

I did as Brent suggested, but have the same results as per Stephen above.

Please note this only happens with those references within a table or below a table, all my other references work perfectly.

This is exactly the same dictionary file that works in Windows 7 / 32-bit and e-Sword 10.4 - I just copied it onto my new Windows 8.1 / 64-bit / e-Sword 10.4 laptop.

In His Name.

#7 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:57 AM

Hi

would you post the RTF and or Module and specific locations especially if its a large file

you might have to zip the file also to get it to upload

then everyone can look at it more closely 

Thank you

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#8 JohanMa

JohanMa

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationKrugersdorp

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

Attach is the test file. Please check several Scripture references, in some instances the next reference pops up, e.g. when clicking on Torah reading (4), the Haftarah reading pops up.

Reference before a table seems fine, the problems occur with references within or after a table.

Please note this is a dictionary file, I changed the extension to .txt else it will not allow me to upload the file, please change to .dctx.

Regards,

Johan

Attached Files

#9 JohanMa

JohanMa

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationKrugersdorp

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

Good evening,

I am busy redoing the whole dictionary by using ToolTip and it looks as if the problems are now fixed. I have no idea why the errors occur only on Windows 8.1 / 64-bit.

Before going much further, I will have to check whether the Scripture references still work correctly on Windows 7 / 32-bit.

In His Name.

Johan

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Good evening,

I am busy redoing the whole dictionary by using ToolTip and it looks as if the problems are now fixed. I have no idea why the errors occur only on Windows 8.1 / 64-bit.

Before going much further, I will have to check whether the Scripture references still work correctly on Windows 7 / 32-bit.

In His Name.

Johan

Hi Johan,

The Windows 8.1 I'm running is 64bit, and e-Sword is a 32bit program. I have no difficulties with tooltip pop up on my machine.

As to the reason you are having difficulties with your tooltip not working is not OS (Operating System) version related. About the only reasons I can think of for your problems with Scripture ToolTip not working are:

1. The file is corrupt in some way
  2. There are errors in the tooltip code in your dictionary.

I think you need to have a look at all your tooltip code to see if any part is missing and/or if a typo has been made.

Here is a list of possible errors that will cause a tooltip not to work.

• A Period after the book name e.g., Gen._1:1
  • Missing Backslash, e.g., {cf11\ul Gen_1:1}
  • Miss spelled Abbreviation for the book e.g., Jn instead of Joh
  • Not an e-Sword recognized abbreviation for a Book in the Bible
  • Colon after the verse
  • Spaces between the rtf code, e.g., {\cf 11 \ul Gen_1:1}.
  • Scripture Reference right up against the rtf code, e.g., {\cf11\ulGen_1:1}
  • Semi-colon, or a period (full-stop for us non Americans), or a comma separating the verse from the chapter.
  • A space between the colon and the verse, e.g., Gen 1: 1.
  • Left out the verse all together.

There are many other kind of possibilities that I can list, but these are the ones that have commonly occurred in the past in many resources I come across. So, with that, thoroughly go through your work and check all your Scripture reference code against this list.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 15 January 2015 - 05:53 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users