Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

E-Sword 10.4 Ruins Bookmarks

11 replies to this topic

#1 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:06 AM

Great day all,

I installed E-Sword 10.4 and the bookmarks / hyperlinks that I had built using Tooltip, and which worked perfectly in E-Sword 10.1 are no longer working.  Tried re-creating them; tried installing the newest version of Tooltip (2.42).  Nothing works.  Is anybody familiar with this?

Next, due to the malfunctions and problems above, I attempted to load E-Sword 10.4 in a separate folder and run it simultaneously with E-Sword 10.1 on my Windows PC.  That would have been a nice backup option, but it doesn't work, as one seems to wipe out the other version.

Of course, I tried installing each version in a totally separate folder--even tried installing 10.4 on a flashdrive to keep it 100% separate from the existing version (10.1).  Still doesn't work.  Does anybody have a suggestion about how to run two different versions at the same time?  Any help will be greatly appreciated, and all the best in this new year :)

Thomas

#2 MARCR

MARCR

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationFalls City, OR

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Thomas,

Use the restore to earlier date feature to roll back to 10.1

get an external HD and install a second copy of windows on it

install 10.4 (if desired on separate OS.

Blessings on you!  (Nu 6:24-26)

Marc

#3 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:59 AM

Thank you Marc for the reply.  I appreciate that you took the time to give a suggestion.  I should be able to have two different versions of E-Sword running on one computer.  Installing them on two different computers / OS defeats the point, as I would be doing twice the work, and could not transfer information efficiently.

All the best,

Thomas

#4 MARCR

MARCR

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationFalls City, OR

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:50 AM

Thomas,
I was speaking of having 2OS on 1 computer using an additional; Hard Drive either internal or external. That way both operating systems can access the same set of files so that you can work on a file from either operating system seamlessly.

Marc

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

Thomas L., I tried your DCTX module in v10.4 and it worked perfectly. 

#6 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

(For the sake of others to read)...

Brent,

Yes, thank you so much.  We corresponded privately, but perhaps others will benefit from this discussion.  Thank you again for being willing to help test out my module.  As discussed, the bookmarks "miraculously" began working again, although they stopped working when I downloaded version 10.4 a month earlier.

Perhaps the makers of E-Sword fixed a bug, because I can guarantee you that the bookmarks stopped working with version 10.4.  I spent about 6-10 hours trying to fix the issue.  I downloaded and re-downloaded version 10.4.  I downloaded it on multiple computers, multiple times.  I uninstalled it and resinstalled it, so I did a full run of "testing" to ensure that there really was an issue.  And there definitely was an issue.  In version 10.1 my bookmarks worked perfectly.  I then installed version 10.4, and instantly they stopped working.  Rinsed and repeated this cycle in various ways for hours.  Something about the upgrade stopped my bookmarks from working.

The next major issue was that all Hebrew text, other than single standalone words, was flipped backwards.  Ironically, the first time that I downloaded version 10.4, I was able to manually maneuver the text in such a way as to get it to render properly in E-Sword 10.4 the first time, but when I revisited the possibility of upgrading to 10.4 a month later (now, more or less)... this same tactic didn't work.  My Hebrew was hopelessly reversed and ruined.

I want to be clear that I'm not blaming this on version 10.4, but what I do know for a fact is that upgrading to 10.4 caused both of these issues (bookmarks & Hebrew).  Now, if the bookmarks are working, I'm grateful; but the Hebrew is in worse shape than before.  Furthermore, if such a fickle change can happen, it suggests to me an "instability," which means that I don't want to trust the new version and find out down the road that everything suddenly stops working again.

To you Brent, thanks for all you do.  And, I want to make it clear that I'm enormously grateful for E-Sword, and those who have developed it.  Between Brent's Tooltip and E-Sword, I've been immeasurably blessed!

Thomas

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

First know that nothing has changed in v10.4 of e-Sword that magically fixed your problem.  The sample file you sent me worked perfectly.  Secondly, the display engine in e-Sword does not fully support right-to-left text so there will be issues with that, and no, nothing has changed in that department either. 

#8 MARCR

MARCR

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationFalls City, OR

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

Thomas,

You may find my response in this thread helpful in resolving this issue as well.

ToolTips not showing Ancient Hebrew letters

Marc

#9 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

Dear Marc,

Yes, that is a lovely work that they are doing with the unicode fonts.  I also appreciate your thoughtfulness to respond.

In regards to the issue that I was encountering with the Hebrew text suddenly reversing, this wouldn't apply, since my issue was taking something that did work in an older version of E-Sword and finding out that it doesn't work in the newer version (10.4).

As Brent H. mentioned above, (and he has commonly reminded me over the past couple years), the issue seems to simply be that E-Sword doesn't properly support or handle right-to-left text.

Of course, we know that there are several modules that do work in both Hebrew / Aramaic, but somewhere along the process, things can stop working.  From my experience, this has been most apt when new versions of software come out, but I don't know the technical reasons behind it.

However, this link you sent me is brilliant, and I'd love to see a Hebrew module for E-Sword in paleo-Hebrew.  Please kindly let me know if one exists :)  Grace and peace,

Thomas

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

In regards to the issue that I was encountering with the Hebrew text suddenly reversing, this wouldn't apply, since my issue was taking something that did work in an older version of E-Sword and finding out that it doesn't work in the newer version (10.4).

HI Thomas,

I Just tested this in my edition of e-Sword 10.4 and encountered no problems. Hebrew text came out exactly the same in the Topic Note editor from the Bible window using the "Paste Into Topic Notes" command from the context menu. See Screenshot below.

Attached File  Hebrew Copy&Paste in e-Sword 10.4.png   302.62K   8 downloads

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users