Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to change the names in e-Sword tabs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:47 AM

I have found that the module names that appear on e-Sword’s tabs are not always as helpful as they could be. Almost a year ago, with the encouragement and advice of LarryG and bible.study.software (aka Jonathon) I found a way to change the names of a module tab into something more appropriate and meaningful. Now for example, all four of my Septuagint files are clustered together and the tabs read:

LXX^ – Standard Septuagint with apocrypha
LXX+ – Septuagint keyed with Strong’s numbers
LXX= – Transliterated Septuagint
LXX-Br – Brenton’s English translation

What follows are the steps you need to follow to accomplish the same thing:

1. Download and extract SQLite Database Browser from http://sourceforge.n...sqlitebrowser/.

2. Because it does not have an installer, make a shortcut for your desktop so you do not lose track of it.

3. I would suggest that for at least the first few times you do this that you save a copy of the file you will be working on. Jonathan's "recommendation is to always make a copy of the file, and make changes to the copy." I concur. In my case I saved a bblx file of my Brenton translation of the LXX as Brenton1. That was just to be safe while I messed around doing something I'd never done before.

4. Open the SQLite Database Browser program.
Posted Image

5. Click on the Open File icon
Posted Image

and chose the file you are going to work on.
Posted Image

6. When it is open you will notice that SQLite Database Browser has three tabs: Database Structure, Browse Data, Execute SQL.

7. Click on the Browse Data tab because it has a field labeled Abbreviation.
Posted Image

8. Double click on the Abbreviation field. This will open a popup window within which you will do your work.

9. Change the text to be what you want it to read. In my case I changed Brenton to read LXX-Br. NOTE: A word of caution. Carlos (aka Ebulardo) says not to use apostrophes when you make your changes. "If the module abbreviation contains parenthesis, you will not be able to mark or highlight or underline words. Well, you can, but e-Sword will not remember what you marked."

10. Click on the Apply Changes button at the bottom lower right. This will close the popup window.
Posted Image

11. Then save your work by clicking on the Save File icon.
Posted Image

One thing you need to do is to go into Windows Explorer and change the name of the file you just modified. e-Sword places the files in alphabetical order based on the File Name, not the tab name abbreviation found in the database. So this was an important step in getting e-sword organized in the way I wanted. I used the new tab names as the new file names. Worked like a charm.

One other thing you may need to know is how to go from multi-rows to single rows. To change from multi-row tabs to single-row to tabs, click on [Options]. From the drop-down menu click on [Resource...]. A pop-up menu will appear. In the lower left corner is a checkbox with "Display tabs in a single row." Clicking on the box allows you to select either multi-row tabs or single-row tabs.

Anyway, that is how I did it, and among a lot of other changes I made to e-sword, now my LXX related Bibles are all grouped together. I am most pleased.
Posted Image

#2 Samwise

Samwise

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

Thanks, this is a great help. Perhaps this should be posted in the Tutorials section also. ;)

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

3. I would suggest that for at least the first few times you do this that you save a copy of the file you will be working on. In my case I saved a bbx file of my Brenton translation of the LXX as Brenton1. That was just to be safe while I messed around doing something I'd never done before.

My recommendation is to always make a copy of the file, and make changes to the copy.

jonathon

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Thanks, this is a great help. Perhaps this should be posted in the Tutorials section also. ;)

Agreed! Anyone can submit a tutorial directly to the Tutorial section or I can promote a tutorial from a forum post to the Tutorial section.

#5 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

Yes, please move it to the appropriate place. I went looking for such a place and could not find it. I blame it on old age. ;D
Posted Image

#6 James Rice

James Rice

Moderator / Resource Builder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

Thank you and God bless you.

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

Yes, please move it to the appropriate place. I went looking for such a place and could not find it. I blame it on old age. ;D

No worries, I put it here: http://www.biblesupport.com/tutorials/

On the navigation bar, at the top of your screen, you should see a link called: Tutorials. When someone posts something good, I put it there, or people can submit directly to there.

#8 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi Ebed Doulos

LXX-Br – Brenton’s English translation
LXX(a) – Standard Septuagint with apocrypha
LXX(+) – Septuagint keyed with Strong’s numbers
LXX(t) – Transliterated Septuagint

Just one thing: it's not a good idea to use parenthesis in the modules' tags. SQLite doesn't behave well with parenthesis. If the module abbreviation contains parenthesis, you will not be able to mark or highlight or underline words. Well, you can, but e-Sword will not remember what you marked.

We came across that problem recently, and when I reported Rick he said you are not supposed to put parenthesis in tags.

Regards,

Carlos

#9 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

Thanks Ebulerdo! I've not had that problem but obviously others may, so lets not do that.

Also I followed the link provided by Josh Bonds and found the tutorial section. Give me a bread crumb trail and I'll follow it. ;D

In celebration, I updated the tutorial with pictures.
Posted Image

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Thanks Ebulerdo! I've not had that problem but obviously others may, so lets not do that.

Also I followed the link provided by Josh Bonds and found the tutorial section. Give me a bread crumb trail and I'll follow it. ;D

In celebration, I updated the tutorial with pictures.

Nice job with the pictures! Very useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users