Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Will E-Sword let me create new windows

10 replies to this topic

#1 longbeachmh

longbeachmh

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Using E-Sword on my PC. Will E-Sword let me create new windows and/or edit existing windows? Example: Create a new window and add to it a couple of commentaries, dictionary and a Bible translation for special projects)

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

I am not too certain as to what you mean by, "Create a new window and add to it a couple of commentaries, dictionary and a Bible translation for special projects," so I'll have a go at guessing what you mean.

If you are talking about  running more than one instance of e-Sword, the answer is, yes you can.

Moreover, if you have dual monitors youi are able to do the following:

• run the second instance on your secondry monitor
  • drag over search dialogs, and other forms to the secondry monitor
  • work independantly of each instance of instance of e-Sword when on two monitors.

The reason I know this, I once put on a second monitor on my PC., and played around with e-Sword on the two monitors.

I have 3 monitor video graphic ports on my PC.

1. HDMI (High Definition Media Interface)
  2. DVI (Digital Video Interface)
  3. VGA (Video Graphics Accellerator).

My default monitor uses HDMI, and  I ran the second monitor on VGA, and had no issues or problems.

To be able to run two monitors you have to have at least a second port.

I trust and hope this information i helpful to you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 longbeachmh

longbeachmh

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for your reply APsit190. I am sorry I didn't make myself clear. Let me try again.

When E-Sword is opened there are 4 default "windows" - Bibles, Dictionaries, Commentaries and Editors. The modules that have been downloaded are automatically distributed between 3 of these windows (exception is Editors). 

I would like to be able to do a couple of things:

1. I would like to be able to edit the content of these default windows (Example: Remove a commentary from the Commentary window).

2. I would like to be able to create a "New Window" that will allow me to add a couple of commentaries to it and a bible translation and maybe a dictionary of my choosing. I am thinking that this would be useful when doing a special study/project where I only need to access a few modules).

I hope this communicates more clearly. :-)

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

Thank you for your reply APsit190. I am sorry I didn't make myself clear. Let me try again.

When E-Sword is opened there are 4 default "windows" - Bibles, Dictionaries, Commentaries and Editors. The modules that have been downloaded are automatically distributed between 3 of these windows (exception is Editors). 

1. I would like to be able to edit the content of these default windows (Example: Remove a commentary from the Commentary window).

2. I would like to be able to create a "New Window" that will allow me to add a couple of commentaries to it and a bible translation and maybe a dictionary of my choosing. I am thinking that this would be useful when doing a special study/project where I only need to access a few modules).

OK, now I know what you mean and can see where you are heading to, the basic anwer to your question is, "No you can't."

Now for the explanatory bit, which I'm afraid is the techinical side of e-Sword.

Essentially e-Sword is an SDI (Single Display Interface) program, in where the windows are static. That means, because the windows are SDI, you cannot have multiple windows. In order for you to have the ability to have mutliple window displayed, then e-Sword has to be created as an MDI (Mutliple Display Interface) program. With that said, I don't know of any Bible study software that are written as an MDI program.

So, with that, then what is the best solution to your dilemma? Well, you can do what I suggested in my first responce. But there is another alternative you can use which I think that can be the best way around this in order to get what you want/need, and that is to get hold of Fred's Resourcer. This way you can really kick butt in running e-Word with the resources that you want. In fact, you can organize your resources to any area of study you are doing and are wanting to do.  With Fred's Resourcer, you can choose any resource you e-Sword to boot up without having to remove or delete any of them. This is similar to doing "Modular" type study.

Beyond this, I'm sorry I can't help you any further, but that with what I have shared will be of use to you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 12 December 2014 - 03:12 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

You can control which commentaries appear in the Commentary Window (Options > Resource). You can do the same for the Bible and Dictionary windows (Options > Resource). You can also remove the Editor's window if you want (click the pin on the far right side of the Editors window panel).

I know what you are asking for on the new window and you can't do that. You can, however, customize e-Sword's main window.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

You can control which commentaries appear in the Commentary Window (Options > Resource). You can do the same for the Bible and Dictionary windows (Options > Resource). You can also remove the Editor's window if you want (click the pin on the far right side of the Editors window panel).

I know what you are asking for on the new window and you can't do that. You can, however, customize e-Sword's main window.

With what Josh had put up here is an alternative, but it is a very limited way of for doing modular study. However, using Resourcer you can really pimp e-Sword in ways that cannot be done from within e-Sword itself. You really open the world to setting up a proper library for your studies.

Here is what I compare Resourcer to:

Resourcer is the Bible student's Library for e-Sword in the same manner that T4 is the Resource Creator's tool for e-Sword. This means, that for best results for choosing  your resources for your field of study you use Resourcer, and for best results in creating the best resources  one uses T4.

I can't believe I just said that. I'm gobsmacked!

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

With that said, I don't know of any Bible study software that are written as an MDI program.

Josh has pretty well answered the question.

But to respond here on applications using MID, I believe theWORD would fit that bill.

It supports floating windows, and the focus can shift back and forth between the "Main" window and the "Floater" (which is a 'child' of the main window. This is a trait of an MDI application.). It will also allow multiple bible windows to open, and not just bible windows, but all books, etc.

And.... you can have multiple floaters. theWORD will also allow you to define different desktops, for the purpose of displaying those resources you want to use for a particular type of study. Each desktop re-callable with a mouse click.

All of this ability comes with a steeper learning curve, and a need to obtain multiple resources (all over) again. On the bright side "Most" resources available for e-Sword are also available for theWORD.

Now, the reason I mentioned 'child' is that with an SDI, when you open a child window, it retains focus and no other window for that application can do anything until the child is closed. This is not the case with an MDI application. With an MDI, you can switch focus around between multiple children, and even back to the parent (call it the mail main application window) while the child in question is still open.

Think of a pop-up dialog window you might see. The program won't let you do anything until you close the dialog box. (That is an SDI behavior).

Anyway, enough rambling.

You can do half of what you want with e-Sword, or switch applications and do almost all of what you want. It really depends on wither you want to have to learn a new program. If you have purchased a number of (too many) resources for e-Sword as I had to make switching a viable option, you can run both applications. Just use your purchased resources with e-sword and use theWORD for Public Domain resources.

I hope I have not made the waters any muddier.

Roy

Edited by Roy, 12 December 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#8 longbeachmh

longbeachmh

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thank all of you!

APSit190 I had to look up "gobsmacked." I look forward to working with your suggestions. 

Roy, I have been looking at theWORD. Downloaded it and played with the feature you discussed and loved it. I really don't want to make the change for various reasons. Guess I will try the things suggested here. 

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

APSit190 I had to look up "gobsmacked." I look forward to working with your suggestions. 

No worries bro, Its a real pleasure to be able to help in any and some small way.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 brodrick

brodrick

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:12 PM

I didn't catch the answer on " How to remove a commentary from the Commentary window". Surely there is a simple way to do this (like a button or icon that say's "Remove this Commentary" or something like this, but I haven't found it yet.  Could you please address this question?

Also, I want to thank Rick Meyers and company for the E-Sword app.  It is amazing piece of software and a wonderful tool for my daily Bible Study. May GOD richly bless you guys and gals for it is a blessing to me.

Brodrick

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users