Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Questions...Planning new Bible and Footnote Modules

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:20 PM

From memory So questionable 

÷[Gen]

1:1

1:2

1:3

[Exo]

1:1

1:2

etc

instead of (which I prefer)

÷Gen 1:1

Gen 1:2

Gen 1:3

Gen 1:4

Gen 1:5

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#12 chulew

chulew

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

Is it possible to alter or customize the bible Book list that appears on e-sword so that only the books in my module show up? Instead of the "not available on this translation" message?

#13 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Is it possible to alter or customize the bible Book list that appears on e-sword so that only the books in my module show up? Instead of the "not available on this translation" message?

Nope... e-Sword isn't flexible in the Bible window.

#14 chulew

chulew

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Oh well.

My footnotes (which I thought I'd use a dctx to display) are formatted like ÷[1] ÷[2] ... ÷[6525] in rtf. I think the square brackets are why they aren't being linked correctly. The footnotes in the bible are the same [1] [2] ... [6525] but I have a suspition that the square bracket is reserved for the alternate "[Gen]/1:2 verse text" format which is why I'm not seeing the linking in e-sword? I will probably have to do some regex fix to encapsulare them with a different character in this case. I hope I'm wrong.

#15 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:56 AM

My footnotes (which I thought I'd use a dctx to display) are formatted like ÷[1] ÷[2] ... ÷[6525] in rtf. I think the square brackets are why they aren't being linked correctly. The footnotes in the bible are the same [1] [2] ... [6525] but I have a suspition that the square bracket is reserved for the alternate "[Gen]/1:2 verse text" format which is why I'm not seeing the linking in e-sword? I will probably have to do some regex fix to encapsulare them with a different character in this case. I hope I'm wrong.

should look like this Strong should be at 1 first 3 defines you set 

#define description=DESC     shows ful name when hovering over the tab

#define abbreviation=ABBR  this is what is displayed in the tab

#define comments=CMTS     this is the information window of the module

#define version=3

#define strong=1                    should be 1 when using strongs

#define nosort=1                    should be 0 when using strongs should be 1 sorry

÷G1

definition or in your case footnote

÷G2

definition

÷G3

H can also be used

Edited by DSaw, 08 November 2014 - 07:50 AM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#16 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

e-Sword doesn't support real footnotes, as seen in a Microsoft Word RTF or doc/docx file. For a Bible module, the only option is to move the footnotes into a commentary module, so that when reading Genesis 1:1, the user can read the footnote(s) in the commentary. :(

#17 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:58 AM

Maybe you should try using "theWord" Bible program. There is full documentation on making the different module types. It does support notes in the Bible view. (as popup or inline/end of verse or chapter with markers)

Another bonus of going this route is that there is an android app called "MySword" that can migrate theWord files to its format, and footnotes in the Bible view are supported there.

Just a thought.

[Edit]

Well it was a thought that did not come out of my head properly.

In part what I meant was in "theWord" just by entering your data in a special tag in the Bible file, you have the option at the press of a key or a setting depending on your mood etc to display that note from 

1. A popup link

2. text in line

3. text at end of verse

4. text at end of chapter

5. turn the note on/off, with a single key press, to leave a clean reading experience

I appreciate that these can be done in an eSword module, but you can't choose how or if you would like the note displayed, it is where it is in the module, and you can't turn them off to get a clean view

[/Edit]

Jon

Edited by JPG, 10 November 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#18 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

Maybe you should try using "theWord" Bible program. There is full documentation on making the different module types. It does support notes in the Bible view. (as popup or inline/end of verse or chapter with markers)

Another bonus of going this route is that there is an android app called "MySword" that can migrate theWord files to its format, and footnotes in the Bible view are supported there.

Just a thought.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Notes within the Bible view can be supported, and is already done in e-Sword, as seen in the LEB with notes. One can place notes anywhere one wishes to; either within the body text (as seen in the LEB), at the end of each verse (as seen in the AMP) or at the end of the chapter. But, as you know these notes are not popup. However, if one wishes to synchronize notes to a dictionary and/or a commentary, this too can be easily achieved in e-Sword (as seen in the GNT-BYZ+ NT and Robertson Morphilogical Analysis Code (dctx) Dictionary). The fact is, click on any word in any other resource, and if that word or just a part of that word is in any of the dictionaries in e-Sword, it will show it on the Dictionary tabs, except those with Strong's numbers.

Dictionary entries can be made to be a popup when using Strong's numbering system, but one needs to have that particular dictionary resource in order for that to happen. This same rule applies to any Bible Software using a popup method, and which uses the Strong's numbering system. You can't have notes made to popup if you don't have the accompaning resource/data file for it, and a methodology for it to happen, e.g,, Strong's numbering system.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 09 November 2014 - 01:31 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#19 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hi APsit190,

that is what I did with my set. I have it for e-Sword, MySword, the Word, e-Sword HD
loads of extra pop ups

Thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#20 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

e-Sword doesn't support real footnotes, as seen in a Microsoft Word RTF or doc/docx file. For a Bible module, the only option is to move the footnotes into a commentary module, so that when reading Genesis 1:1, the user can read the footnote(s) in the commentary. :(

Hi Josh,

Alternatively one can place notes in any of the following places in the Bible:

• In line text within the verse
  • End of the of the verse
  • At the end of the chapter

As for what you mean by "not real footnotes," needs a bit of an explanation, because my understaning of them, they are just numbered notes at the bottom of a page correlating with superscript numbers within the body of the main text, and endnotes are usually placed at the end of a chapter or section of a book. However, I can be super wrong here because the way a Kiwi understands what are footnotes against what an American thinks they are, well you know the rest of the story

Confused.gif
That is, like confused

Blessings,

Autograph.png

P.S. Did you know that this reply came to you from your immediate future, and from my immediate past. Where you are, for me, is well and truly gone, done and dusted. And for you, well, its still to happen.

What a way to go.

Its all exciting.

Ka kite ano au i a koe

Edited by APsit190, 09 November 2014 - 02:28 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users