Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

ESIM Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

All,

I am currently working on a completely new version of the e-Sword Installer menu. This version, which is still in its developmental stage, will be a complete revamp of the previous version. A lot of things are going to change.

Screenshot of ESM Running in Debug Mode in Visual Studio

Attached File  ESM Running in Debug Mode.jpg   119.14K   22 downloads

The kind of changes that are being made are as follows:

• Dropdown context Menu replaced with Dropdown ComboBoxes for resource installation
  • Toolbar replaced by dedicated buttons for each ComboBox.
  • Resource installation files able to load up into dedicated ComboBoxes.
  • When a particular ComboBox is accessed all other resource buttons are disabled
  • When a particular ComboBox is hidden, all other resource buttons are enabled
  • No longer able to browse a particular resource folder due to all files are now able to upload in their respective ComboBox makes this option unwarranted. However the Explore CD/DVD button still remains for browsing and exploring the contents of the CD/DVD.

I think these changes will be helpful to those who use this program to distribute their own compilation of e-Sword CDs and/or DVDs because it means that when it comes to the official e-Sword resources, one doesn't have to be dependent on having to have the correct file name. Also it means that if one prefers to have a 10 mile long filename, is able to do so.

When it comes to installing the resources, ESIM still will only be able to run an installer program and/or self-extracting zip files. This means you will still need to have an exe extension type file.

Another thing you will still have to do, is have all your resources in dedicated folders, which are:

• Bibles
  • Commentaries
  • Devotionals
  • Dictionaries
  • e-Sword_Pres (This one you only need if you are including the e-Sword PowerPoint presentation in your compilation)
  • Maps
  • STEP Library
  • Topic Files

So that you know and can see the importance of having these particular folders in your compilation, below is the code for loading up the files you may add to you CD?DVD. You will notice that horrible Error message in "Catch" part of the "Try" if you don't have the required folders and the files in them.

try
 {
         //String-Array variables for ComboBoxes to fill up with files from their respective folders
         string[] bblFiles = System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(@"Bibles");
         string[] cmtFiles = System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(@"Commentaries");
         string[] devFiles = System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(@"Devotionals");
         string[] dctFiles = System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(@"Dictionaries");
         string[] grfFiles = System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(@"Maps");
         string[] stpFiles = System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(@"Step Libraries");
         string[] tpxFiles = System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(@"Topic Files");

//For each ComboBox to fill, in declaring a String variable as "files," jist doesn't work, and therefore
         //the variable name requires a unique name, e.g., cmtFiles and etc.

//Load up the comboboxes with files
         this.cmbBibles.Items.AddRange(bblFiles);                    //Load up Bible add-ons
         this.cmbCommentaries.Items.AddRange(cmtFiles);              //Load Up Commentary add-ons
         this.cmbDevotional.Items.AddRange(devFiles);                //Load up Devotional add-ons
         this.cmbDictionaries.Items.AddRange(dctFiles);              //Load up Dictionary add-ons
         this.cmbGraphics.Items.AddRange(grfFiles);                  //Load up Graphic add-ons
         this.cmbStep.Items.AddRange(stpFiles);                      //Load up STEP Library add-ons
         this.cmbReference.Items.AddRange(tpxFiles);                 //Load up Topic and Reference Library add-ons
}

catch
{
         MessageBox.Show("Unable to find all or some files and folder\nto load.\n\nThe person who provided you the CD/DVD may\nnot "+
         "have included some or all resource files, or\nmay not have placed them in the required folders.\n\nClick on the Explore "+
         "CD/DVD button and check\nif the files are on the media.\n\nClick OK to continue",this.Text, MessageBoxButtons.OK,
         MessageBoxIcon.Error);
}

Now, on the catch part I could have been really mean by making this statement:

catch (Exception)

{

throw;

}

That would put out an Error message making the end user think that there is something really critically wrong with the program or his/her computer. Call it a real "freak out" situation.

I am still thinking of having another  folder for odds and ends, such as Harmony, Study Note and etc called "Others," or "Miscellaneous," or something like that. If you wish to have that kind of folder as part of your compilation, then I will program that in.

Let me know your thoughts, and if you wish to have your input to the development, I will only be too pleased to take them into consideration.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 07 October 2014 - 08:54 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

All,

Today (Tuesday, 12 May, 2015) I finally got it all done. The newest version of the e-Sword Menu Installer is complete and built, and about ready to be released once the documentation for it is done and dusted. It took a while to finish it due to having problems of not getting code to work for the running of resource installers from the combo boxes. About two weeks ago, as a result of failure after failure with the code I was using, I cried out for help with it. I found the code I was using, and the advice I was given with it was wrong. I really praise God for the folks at CodeProject for helping me with the solution to get the resource installers to run.

For any developer/programmer here, I recommend this community to you. Their blood is really worth bottling and their weight is really worth in gold.

The solution to getting the resource installers to run is:

using System.Diagnostics;

------------------------------

try
    {
         //Run Selected Add-on
         string bblEXE = cmbBibles.SelectedItem.ToString();
         Process.Start(bblEXE);
    }

catch (Exception xpt)
    {
        MessageBox.Show(xpt.Message,this.Text,MessageBoxButtons.OK,MessageBoxIcon.Error);
    }

Firstly, a string variable needs to be declared and assigned to a particular combobox. Then from there run any resource that is clicked on in that combo box.

Remember, to fill the combobox with the installers, this is done when the installer program is run.

All folders as mentioned in the initial posts are still the same. Nothing has changed in that regard, and if you don't have those folders the user will get a very telling error message which may prove embarrassing.

ESM Start Error Message

So, with that, I think it might be wise to create the required folders.

Well, that's the latest update on this program. In about two weeks time I hope to have this program available for you with all the required documentation.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

All,

I've been thinking for quite some time to give ESM a bit of a face lift by giving it a new skin (background image). The difficulty I had was that for quite some time I couldn't find an image that I really liked, and something that reflected the program, until quite recently.

So with that, today I started a new version with the new skin (background) and below is a screenshot of the program at Design time with the new skin. Trust you will like it.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21)

Attached Files

Edited by APsit190, 01 February 2018 - 07:59 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users