Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

My Commentary

11 replies to this topic

#11 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

What is your take on Zech1:8-11?  I have seen so many speculations as to what the color of the horses is, the significance of the myrtle trees and why the encounter took place in a ravine that my head is swimming.

Also the dialogue in verse 1:12  Then the angel of the LORD said, "O LORD of hosts, how long will You have no compassion for Jerusalem and the cities of Judah, with which You have been indignant these seventy years?"

It seems that the Angel of the Lord and the Lord of Hosts are dialoguing, even tough I have heard both referred to as Christophanies in many commentaries (not to mention pastors and Sunday school teachers).

Could it be that the Angel of the Lord, in this particular case might actually be Michael?  I doubt it but have heard a fairly reasonable (on the surface at any rate) argument for that, and it would solve the dilemma of the Godhead being present in two manifestations at the same time.

This is based upon the comments in Daniel that tend to indicate that Michael was given special responsibilities for for the people of Israel and the Angel of the Lord here is asking for action and compassion for Jerusalem and Judea. 

Daniel quotes:

(Daniel 10:13)  "But the prince of the kingdom of Persia was withstanding me for twenty-one days; then behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left there with the kings of Persia.

(Daniel 10:21)  "However, I will tell you what is inscribed in the writing of truth. Yet there is no one who stands firmly with me against these forces except Michael your prince.

(Daniel 12:1)  "Now at that time Michael, the great prince who stands guard over the sons of your people, will arise. And there will be a time of distress such as never occurred since there was a nation until that time; and at that time your people, everyone who is found written in the book, will be rescued.

But to my mins it makes only minimal sense.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#12 MARCR

MARCR

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationFalls City, OR

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:14 AM

Tim,

I view Zc 1:8 in parallel with Rv6:2-8

The white horse (Zc 1:8, Rv 6:2) is symbolic of conquest.

The red horse (Zc 1:8, Rv 6:4) is symbolic of bloodshed. whether from war or violent individuals

The 'speckled' (Sarook) comes from one of two homonyms one the verb to hiss the other the grapevine. At first look no distinct color is suggested, Considering the grapevine with dark (nearly black )fruit and pale nearly white stems; perhaps both the 'black' or dark horse of (Rv 6:5) and the pale horse of (Rv 6:8) are intended. 

The black (or dark) horse of (Rv 6:5) represents famine.

The pale horse of (Rv 6:8) represents death by: war, famine, pestilence, natural disasters and animal attacks.

All four (Revelation) or three or four (Zechariah) represent God's judgement against the enemies of God's people.

The significance of the Myrtle trees is less obvious; but I will give my take: The Hebrew word for Myrtle is Hadassah. This is also the Hebrew name of Queen Esther (of the book of Esther). Since Esther was God's instrument for deliverance of God's people; the myrtle has become a figure of deliverance and, in this case a promise of God's intervention soon.

Concerning the dialogue in Zc 1:12: There are at least 3 possible interpretations that one can come to without twisting or perverting the Scripture: 1) The Angel of the Lord is Jesus, and The Lord of Hosts is the Father. 2) The Angel of the Lord is Michael and The Lord of Hosts is Jesus. 3) The Angel of the Lord is Gabriel and The Lord of Hosts is Jesus. I don't think that knowing which (if any) of the three is intended has a major bearing on the sense of the verse: In my opinion the intent here is a symbolic look at how the prayers of God's people are called to God's attention.

If you are inclined to pursue this further, I suggest we move it to the Bible Interpretation Forum.

Edited by MARCR, 15 January 2015 - 01:26 AM.

Blessings on you!  (Nu 6:24-26)

Marc

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users