Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A Way to Run e-Sword on a Tablet

14 replies to this topic

#1 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Now, get ready to buckle yourself in for the ride of your life and find out how you can, as the title says, "A Way to Run e-Sword on a Tablet."

This perhaps is a real cheats way of doing it, or perhaps can be regarded as a ":Clayton's" way of doing it.

Now, Before I begin, just look at a photo I took of e-Sword running on my Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet.

e-Sword (PC Edition) Running on my Galaxy 10.1

Attached File  e-Sword on Tablet.jpg   120.51K   123 downloads

OK, the evidence is there, and you've just seen it. So how did I do it. Well I can tell you I didn't install it on my Tablet via Wine or any other back door kind of software.

The only way I could do it was by using a Remote Desktop program, and using my PC Desktop on my Tablet. The program I am using to achieve this is called TeamViewer, which needs to be installed on bot PC and your Android device. Once this is done the setup is pretty much straight forward and not complicated.

Admittedly you're still using your PC although its remotely being used. But the bottom line is, you still are using e-Sword (or any other Windows Application you may wish to use) on your Tablet.

Oh yeah, by the way, there is a version of this program available for iPad.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#2 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hi

very good, is there a step by step guide to to do that?
Will you make a tutorial about it?

Thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

Hi

very good, is there a step by step guide to to do that?
Will you make a tutorial about it?

Thanks

No, there isn't a step by step guide. As I said, "... the setup is pretty much straight forward and not complicated." It takes about at best 2 minutes to get it going, and if you're like me, 5 minutes to configure it. So the reality is a guide is not really required. However, there is on-line help that you can get if you think you might get stuck.

Just to show just how uncomplicated and straightforward this program is, try to configure Microsoft's RD Client in less than 30 minutes or within 30 minutes and see how far you get. I had MS RD Client, and tried to set that up, and totally ditched it and went for TeamViewer. And let me say this, I am not by any stretch of the imagination a Network Geek, or experienced in setting up Remote networks. So, if I can do it then anyone else can; even you. Have a bit of faith brother! :D

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 sashiir

sashiir

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

Is teamviewer a freeware program? How do I install it on my andriod?

#5 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

I cheated, I bought an Acer Iconia W510 running Windows 8 (works best with a mouse). :D

Factory refurbished about $250, reasonable for a 10.1" tablet.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

Just to clarify this idea.

You aren't really running e-Sword on the Droid tablet. You are viewing your desktop screen through your tablet. The video from your desktop is being sent over the internet to your tablet.

Still, it's a novel idea!

Codeweavers, who makes Crossover for the Mac and Linux, lets you run e-Sword on a Mac or Linux. They were (still are?) working on an Android emulator, so you really run e-Sword on an Android. I don't know if it will ever successfully happen, but it was being attempted.

#7 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Just for a bit of a twist. Here is MySword running in a VM on Windows 8.1

Jon

Attached File  Android in W8.1.png   431.92K   26 downloads

[Edit] I don't want to have to go into all the detail of how to do it....

Edited by JPG, 11 September 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#8 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hi Jon,

can you give in detail how to put my sword on your pc

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

Just to clarify this idea.

You aren't really running e-Sword on the Droid tablet. You are viewing your desktop screen through your tablet. The video from your desktop is being sent over the internet to your tablet.

Hi Josh,

Yeah I know, ergo calling it a Clayton's way of doing it, as in "running" e-Sword on a tablet without running it; or having e-Sword on a tablet without really having it. Oh the fun of it all.

Still, it's a novel idea!

Yes it really is. The fact that by being able to do this has huge pluses for it. You, in a virtual sense can run e-Sword anywhere providing you have a connection. It means you can work on files, albeit on your PC, without having to do any file transfers, synchronizations, or conversions. Moreover, because one is actually working from a PC remotely, one is actually using the using the PCs processing power rather than his mobile device. About the only downside of it is one is using his own Mobile Data if Wi-Fi isn't available.

Thanks for your comment

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 11 September 2014 - 05:41 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

For those of you who really want to know how to do it.

Installing and then running and configuring TeamViewer is really dead easy. I don't think there is a program for remotely accessing your PC that is a simple, straightforward as this is. So, get ready to buckle on your set belts, and go o a journey that will give you the ride of your life. Well, maybe not as extreme as that, but certainly where you can have some real fun.

Here are the things you need to do:

1. Go to Google Play Store on your Mobile device, preferably your Android Tablet as this is where you want to install the app
  2. Do a search for "TeamViewer"
  3. Once on that page, click on install and install the app
  4. Then On your PC, open up your Web browser, and go to http://www.teamviewe...m/en/index.aspx and download the program and install it on your PC.

Now comes the real important stuff. If you can't get this right, then there is no help for you. Sorry, you are beyond any help whatsoever. Can't do anything for you at all. You have cooked your goose.

1. Run TeamViewer on your PC. Once open you will be asked to put in some information. Put in all information that is required of you.

2. You then will get a window coming up as seen in the Screenshot below:

Attached File  TeamViewer.jpg   108.81K   18 downloads

3. Run TeamViewer on your Droid tablet, and then enter in the Password given to you (not the one in the Screenshot) and then from there you should be accessing your PC. The password is randomly generated, and therefore it will change at every new session. However the "Your ID" bit remains the same.

I trust this information is helpful to you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 11 September 2014 - 06:27 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users