Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

AMP Bible

10 replies to this topic

#1 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hi Folks,

Does anyone happen to know WHICH BIBLE On THIS SITE would be closest to the AMP Version of the Bible?!

Thanks Much!!!

Clint

Your Portion Of Light

Whether you are a brilliant flame or
but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

I purchased the Amplified Bible quite some time ago, and have a copy of most if not all of the Bible modules on this site (don't use them all, but have them) .

There is no other Bible module I know of that is close to the Amplified for nuancing the meanings of key words.  About the only real alternative would be to get a translation that is keyed to Strong's and check the dictionary definitions for each word (or at least key words).  Get one Keyed to the extended TMV Strongs if you want to check the verb tenses (Tone) mood and voice information. 

http://www.biblesupp...one-dictionary/

That is a lot of work, but would more than equal the Amplified at letting you see the nuances of words.

The only Translation I know of that is keyed to extended Strong's in the KJV+TMV is the KJVTVM,

http://www.biblesupp...nse-voice-mood/

Edited by Tim Butterfield, 07 September 2014 - 02:52 PM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

I purchased the Amplified Bible quite some time ago, and have a copy of most if not all of the Bible modules on this site (don't use them all, but have them) .

There is no other Bible module I know of that is close to the Amplified for nuancing the meanings of key words.  About the only real alternative would be to get a translation that is keyed to Strong's and check the dictionary definitions for each word (or at least key words).  Get one Keyed to the extended TMV Strongs if you want to check the verb tenses (Tone) mood and voice information. 

http://www.biblesupp...one-dictionary/

That is a lot of work, but would more than equal the Amplified at letting you see the nuances of words.

The only Translation I know of that is keyed to extended Strong's in the KJV+TMV is the KJVTVM,

http://www.biblesupp...nse-voice-mood/

Thanks Tim!!........I have the KJV+TMV installed and use the BTSCTVM Dictionary which does a pretty good job, was just curious what the big deal about the AMP was about.

Thanks Again!!

Your Portion Of Light

#4 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

The big deal with the Amplified is this, it nuances certain key words so you get a better picture of the meanings  sort of like dictionary definition parenthetically in the text) 

It isn't an easy read, but it can provide some insights.   When I check out a new translation I first look at verses that I know and love to se how they are handled...examples:

A Psalm of David. THE LORD is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack. He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters. [Rev. 7:17.] He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake. Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my [brimming] cup runs over. Surely or only goodness, mercy, and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, and through the length of my days the house of the Lord [and His presence] shall be my dwelling place. (Psalms 23:1-6 AMP)

For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. For God did not send the Son into the world in order to judge (to reject, to condemn, to pass sentence on) the world, but that the world might find salvation and be made safe and sound through Him. He who believes in Him [who clings to, trusts in, relies on Him] is not judged [he who trusts in Him never comes up for judgment; for him there is no rejection, no condemnation--he incurs no damnation]; but he who does not believe (cleave to, rely on, trust in Him) is judged already [he has already been convicted and has already received his sentence] because he has not believed in and trusted in the name of the only begotten Son of God. [He is condemned for refusing to let his trust rest in Christ's name.] The [basis of the] judgment (indictment, the test by which men are judged, the ground for the sentence) lies in this: the Light has come into the world, and people have loved the darkness rather than and more than the Light, for their works (deeds) were evil. [Isa. 5:20.] For every wrongdoer hates (loathes, detests) the Light, and will not come out into the Light but shrinks from it, lest his works (his deeds, his activities, his conduct) be exposed and reproved. But he who practices truth [who does what is right] comes out into the Light; so that his works may be plainly shown to be what they are--wrought with God [divinely prompted, done with God's help, in dependence upon Him].  (John 3:16-21 AMP)

Edited by Tim Butterfield, 08 September 2014 - 03:16 PM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:37 AM

Hi Clint,

The Amplified Bible is one that is not a very good translation for general type reading. That said, it is an excellent translation to use more for highlighting the meaning of Scripture. It gives an understanding of Scripture that one wouldn't find in the more classical type translations.

Along with Tim, I also have the AMP, and mainly use it for comparative purposes to get a better picture of a meaning. However, I don't reference to it very often. In fact its very rare that I reference to it.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:13 AM

Hi Folks,

Does anyone happen to know WHICH BIBLE On THIS SITE would be closest to the AMP Version of the Bible?!

Thanks Much!!!

Clint

hi please check out my set I am amping it up adding lots of footnotes. Also check out JMNT it looks like he put his cmt into the bible.

Thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#7 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

Hi

http://www.biblesupp...-new-testament/

http://www.biblesupp...le-errbbblxexe/

try these out

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#8 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the sugestins folks!!....I obtained a copy of an AMP Bible addon and looked through it and I must admit, I'm not that blown away by it. I just don't get what all the preachers using it are raving about. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really have a problem figuring out what God is trying to say in my Bible. 

Again, thanks for the quick response!! :)

God Bless Everyone!!

Clint

Your Portion Of Light

#9 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Not a problem.  As you may have noticed, the people here enjoy fellowshipping, Bible study e-Sword.and above all God.

There are some reasonably interesting blogs here as well. 

Keep in mind that the "Rules of the Road" hereabouts require that we always remember that we are brothers in the Lord.

As a result, conversations tend to be remarkably "flame free".

Timothy

#10 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

Not a problem.  As you may have noticed, the people here enjoy fellowshipping, Bible study e-Sword.and above all God.

There are some reasonably interesting blogs here as well. 

Keep in mind that the "Rules of the Road" hereabouts require that we always remember that we are brothers in the Lord.

As a result, conversations tend to be remarkably "flame free".

Timothy

Thanks Timothy!!

I don't engage in flame contest, they are just a waste of time IMO and I have far too many other things to engage in as the time of the God's return is drawing close.

Clint

Your Portion Of Light

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users